Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
161 - 173 of 173 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Rav 4 Hybrid XSE
129 Posts
Not a issue as has only happened once. On my way to work a few days ago my screen went black for a good 8 or more seconds then it came back on. Had me worried as my Rav is less then a year old and i have a record of having bad luck in life, lol

·
Registered
70 Posts
Have had a xse 2020 r4p since 9/23. Not a single problem, hopeful my luck continues. After reading these posts I feel fortunate .
The only issue I had was a dealer service issue.
When the dealer installed the roof racks, the mechanic lost my roof rack panels. They were not provided when I was given my car back . I took the roof rack off and then realized the panels did not pivot like those on my 2006 bmw 330xi. Called the salesperson, he mailed 4 panels, two of which were identical, so I was still missing the right rear. They had to order it for me. A good month to resolve . No consideration given for this inconvenience . Now my wife wants to trade her Subaru in on an electric or hybrid. How can this dealer expect my continued patronage ? I have a dealer who is closer I will get my service completed at .

·
Registered
156 Posts
2016 Rav4 entry and start function not working. Smart key battery is fine but i still need to touch key to push start button to start. Remotes don,t work. Am personally diagnosing it if the ELECTRICAL KEY RECEIVER combined with the TPMS has power issue or the lines are experiencing electrical resistance causing this problem.
I will share when am done.
Why is this here? A model that old isn't a 4.5 gen, per this actual section.

·
Registered
RAV 4.5 2021 Hybrid AWD
52 Posts
This is a relatively pleasing thread.....in that the defects list for the past couple of years seem to be almost entirely for North America rather than Australia - even though the RAV4 is so popular here the current wait time for receipt is 10 months + - with one interesting exception relating to the moon roof aside. I also note the lack of comments from the UK (right hand drive too), NZ and Ireland. Admittedly the population in North America is much larger but the proportions of complaints still dont seem right.

I wondered if the issues reflect a Japanese v. North American build location? A difficulty for me comparing them is that our model coding is completely different to the US for reasons I can only guess at.

In answer to this question reviewer sites exist but confuse the issue further and appear unreliable e.g. https://motorandwheels.com/where-are-toyota-rav4s-made/ One comment is that Australian RAV4s are made in Canada. However the dealer assertion was that ours has been manufactured or at least assembled in Japan. And indeed the VIN number starts with a J. It seems like quality levels change rapidly and complaints reflecting this do likewise. More locally there is this linked site Canada v. Japan build quality It suggests that there is little difference between more recent builds.

So maybe the best interpretation for this and other threads to take note of issues which might be a problem in the future.....but not necessarily.....and not worry about location of construction overly.

Any musings appreciated?

·
Registered
156 Posts
I wondered if the issues reflect a Japanese v. North American build location?
Japanese manufacture for me only. I straight up told my salesman to not show me any vehicle where the VIN doesn't start with a "J". I want a vehicle built in its namesake country. I don't want a Canadian (or US) built Toyota anymore than I want a Mexican, Indonesian, whatever build of a German car.

·
Registered
RAV 4.5 2021 Hybrid AWD
52 Posts
Japanese manufacture for me only. I straight up told my salesman to not show me any vehicle where the VIN doesn't start with a "J". I want a vehicle built in its namesake country. I don't want a Canadian (or US) built Toyota anymore than I want a Mexican, Indonesian, whatever build of a German car.
Do you actually get a choice in the US? I had a look at some Wiki sites and found engine origins varied geographically and over time all over the place. Pleasingly ours is apparently Japanese, a point the salesman flagged several times. But I worry that with the repeated shutdowns not everything on the production line is going to plan.....in fairness an issue that applies to all stuff currently.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Do you actually get a choice in the US? I had a look at some Wiki sites and found engine origins varied geographically and over time all over the place. Pleasingly ours is apparently Japanese, a point the salesman flagged several times. But I worry that with the repeated shutdowns not everything on the production line is going to plan.....in fairness an issue that applies to all stuff currently.

R4p sold in the u s we’re all imported from Japan last model year 2021. Not sure about rav4 hybrids, but I believe they were u s or Japanese built

. Our 18 month old Subaru Forester was built in Japan . That is the only model available in the us not built in the us. All foresters built in Japan.

So our r4p and forester are both Japanese built cars. Glad for that with our neighbors getting recalls on their u s built cars. Both of our cars have been 100%.

·
Registered
RAV 4.5 2021 Hybrid AWD
52 Posts
Of course. You look at what's on the dealer lot. If you don't want it, don't buy it. I also got my 2020 XLE at the very end of 2019 so the scamdemic BS hadn't fired up yet, so there was good selection.
You are dead right about the pandemic fouling up the supply chains. We see this probably more than you being at the end of the import supply chain line since our manufacturing was degraded. But this isnt just a scam. Its simply a result of poorly developed responses to a devil's alternative - in this case ignore the pandemic, get sued or have an outbreak in your factory with all the chaos going with that, or introducing quarantining, border closures and other restrictions and screw global car supply that way. Either way the system a big hiccup was inevitable......just like in 2008 when it happenned in the financial sector and the money supply chain nearly collapsed. If you are interesting in existential drivers for the current mess I recommend https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_catastrophic_risk

·
Registered
4 Posts
This is a relatively pleasing thread.....in that the defects list for the past couple of years seem to be almost entirely for North America rather than Australia - even though the RAV4 is so popular here the current wait time for receipt is 10 months + - with one interesting exception relating to the moon roof aside. I also note the lack of comments from the UK (right hand drive too), NZ and Ireland. Admittedly the population in North America is much larger but the proportions of complaints still dont seem right.

I wondered if the issues reflect a Japanese v. North American build location? A difficulty for me comparing them is that our model coding is completely different to the US for reasons I can only guess at.

In answer to this question reviewer sites exist but confuse the issue further and appear unreliable e.g. https://motorandwheels.com/where-are-toyota-rav4s-made/ One comment is that Australian RAV4s are made in Canada. However the dealer assertion was that ours has been manufactured or at least assembled in Japan. And indeed the VIN number starts with a J. It seems like quality levels change rapidly and complaints reflecting this do likewise. More locally there is this linked site Canada v. Japan build quality It suggests that there is little difference between more recent builds.

So maybe the best interpretation for this and other threads to take note of issues which might be a problem in the future.....but not necessarily.....and not worry about location of construction overly.

Any musings appreciated?
I have been monitoring for issues in the fifth generation RAV4 and especially for the A25A-FXS engine and hybrid drivertrain, since US (then the later Australian ) release. It is notable that US/Canadian manufactured vehicles have had some issues, with the two significant ones being the fuel tanks on some hybrids and porous casting of some engine blocks ealry in the product life. There have also been some complaints about shaking mirrors. None of these have been replicated in Japanese manufatured vehicles, which seem to have been remarkably problem free. I have posted in several forums, asking about any identified problems, especially for higher mileage vehicles. I have a had a stunning silence in response to those queries.My Australian delivered RAV4 AWD Hybrid Cruiser as been absolutely fault free since delivery almost two years ago.

161 - 173 of 173 Posts