Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Do any of you know if it is possible to remove the headliner of a 16 Rav4 without tearing apart the complete inside of the vehicle? I have searched the web so far and come up short. I would like to add some more soundproofing to the roof. My knuckle rap test shows the area is ripe for some improvement. Can anyone hook me up with any exploded diagrams or instructions from the Toyota TIS web site or better yet some personal experience?

Thanks,
Steve

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,729 Posts
Most of the noise is coming from below, not above. Tires, wheels, and drivetrain produce most of the noise you hear. I've heard that insulation added to the interior around the rear wheel wells makes a huge improvement.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Most of the noise is coming from below, not above. Tires, wheels, and drivetrain produce most of the noise you hear. I've heard that insulation added to the interior around the rear wheel wells makes a huge improvement.
Are you speaking about a 2016 Gen 4 or your 2008? In my research it would seem that you are correct with the 2008 being really bad about the rear wheels.

In 8 years since Toyata has made some inroads into fixing some of these sources. However, now thery are constrained by cost and more importantly by weight due to fuel economy requirements. They have added at least some panel dampening on the floor and wheel wells and also in the outer skins of the doors.

However, my quick test shows that the headliner is basically transparent to noise. Noise can therefore enter through the roof unattenuated and anything that gets into the cabin from the road or wheels will continue to be bounced around inside the cabin by reflections from the roof.

Thanks,
Steve

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,729 Posts
However, my quick test shows that the headliner is basically transparent to noise. Noise can therefore enter through the roof unattenuated and anything that gets into the cabin from the road or wheels will continue to be bounced around inside the cabin by reflections from the roof.

Thanks,
Steve
I don't doubt the validity of your test, but noise from what? Other than wind noise, there's just not much coming from up there unless low flying aircraft are following you. You would get more noise reduction by removing the roof rails and/or crossbars than by adding insulation. Now that's just my opinion for whats it's worth, and my lowly 2008 is the only reference I have. But I could be wrong--it's happened once or twice before. :) I would just hate to hear that someone tore apart their headliner and added a bunch of Dynamat or whatever and found it didn't make much difference.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would just hate to hear that someone tore apart their headliner and added a bunch of Dynamat or whatever and found it didn't make much difference.
I just talked to a rep from Second Skin, a manufacturer of automobile soundproofing products, and they recommended roof, doors, and rear hatch. The floor, at least in the passenger area appears to have panel resonance dampened and a layer of absorber and blocker installed beneath the carpets. I was really surprised to see that considering how noisy the vehicle is.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts