Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
https://youtu.be/zdAgqk3ztqQ

Hello Rav4World. I am posting this for future Toyota fans, who may wind up wondering how to get the OEM Instrument Cluster in their Rav4 (or other Toyota) to correctly read the RPM, and Speed from their Caldina ST215 Gen4 3S-GTE Engine, and matching E150 Gearbox after the Swap.
Credit goes to this Original Post on MR2.COM for leading me towards the Dakota Digital Solution,

http://www.mr2.com/forums/threads/9...-from-ABS-Wheel-Speed-Sensor-and-Dakota-SGI5C

As, proven by https://rav4gtt.wordpress.com/ the Caldina E150 Gearbox does not contain the plastic drive gear inside, so installing a VSS in the hole is an exercise in futility.

This other post http://www.mr2.com/forums/threads/82165-BEAMS-tach-and-AC is an example of a method others have used to get the Tach working, whereby you replace a resistor on the tach circuit board. I Did this, I tried every Resistor mentionted online and NONE of those Methods worked, l replaced it with the OEM resistor and I chose Dakota Digital Products Rather than the MSD Tach Adapter, (which I hear emits some very nasty high-frequency noise.) It should be noted that the Post by MRTuna, on MR2.COM is an old post, and features the now discontinued SGI-5C, an obsolete product, therefore I felt it was important to Rav and Toyota Fans to upload this nugget to the interwebs.

To some it is known that there is no VSS or (Vehicle Speed Sensor) that comes on the 1997+ Caldina GTT ST215. The Caldina gets it's speedometer's square wave reference signal from it's Integrated ABS Actuator/ECU. It comes out of that ABS system as a purple wire. The identical ABS System can be found on some LEXUS automobiles.

After speaking with Doug Copeland MR220V, he mentioned at one point using a certain generation MR2 ABS ECU, in conjunction with the ST215 ECU, to get a speed reference signal, however I kaiboshed this idea, and bought Dakota Digital SGI-5E and SGI-8E Instrument Converters.

Both Dakota Digital Units worked immediately upon plugging it in!

This is how I wired it.

Rav4 OEM Factory VSS Wires to Dakota Digital SGI-5E
  • RED-BLUE (Gauge Circuit, used to power VSS) Unused, tape it off or use it to power the converters
  • BLUE-BLACK (Output Speedometer, Tach and Fuel Gauge Grounds!)
  • YELLOW-RED (Output to Rav4 Speedometer from SGI-5E)
  • Sensor INPUT - One side of your ABS Sensor goes here (polarity insensitive)
  • Sensor GROUND - Other side of ABS Sensor goes here (polarity insensitive)
*CAL (calibration) .251 (as MRTuna discovered from MR2.com) is perfect!
*L-L (low-low)
*I used shielded wire between the ABS Sensor and the Dakota Unit. (ground one end of shield, tape the other)
*I'm scrapping ABS all together so I wont miss it. I do not recommend "Splicing" into the sensor. Choose, speedometer or ABS, not both at the same time, with this method anyways.

Rav4 OEM Tachometer Wires to Dakota Digital SGI-8E
Black wire from 3S-GTE (gen4) ECU Connector "C" Wire No. "27" or C-27
goes into "Signal in terminal".
Run a wire from the NORMAL Output to the Black TACH Gauge wire on the Instrument Cluster Connector No "A" Wire "8" or A-8 (behind instrument cluster).

(Note, if you are using Air Conditioning, you will need to be certain that the Air Conditioning ECU is also getting a corrected OUTPUT signal from the Dakota Digital Unit.)

The only two Check Engine Codes I was hanging onto after the 3S-GTE Swap were related to the Tachometer and Speedometer not being connected! I AM CEL FREE!

I hope this helps someone someday!

·
Registered
1 Posts

Hello Rav4World. I am posting this for future Toyota fans, who may wind up wondering how to get the OEM Instrument Cluster in their Rav4 (or other Toyota) to correctly read the RPM, and Speed from their Caldina ST215 Gen4 3S-GTE Engine, and matching E150 Gearbox after the Swap.
Credit goes to this Original Post on MR2.COM for leading me towards the Dakota Digital Solution,

Success - Running Speedometer from ABS Wheel Speed Sensor and Dakota SGI5C

As, proven by RAV4 GT-T the Caldina E150 Gearbox does not contain the plastic drive gear inside, so installing a VSS in the hole is an exercise in futility.

This other post BEAMS tach and AC is an example of a method others have used to get the Tach working, whereby you replace a resistor on the tach circuit board. I Did this, I tried every Resistor mentionted online and NONE of those Methods worked, l replaced it with the OEM resistor and I chose Dakota Digital Products Rather than the MSD Tach Adapter, (which I hear emits some very nasty high-frequency noise.) It should be noted that the Post by MRTuna, on MR2.COM is an old post, and features the now discontinued SGI-5C, an obsolete product, therefore I felt it was important to Rav and Toyota Fans to upload this nugget to the interwebs.

To some it is known that there is no VSS or (Vehicle Speed Sensor) that comes on the 1997+ Caldina GTT ST215. The Caldina gets it's speedometer's square wave reference signal from it's Integrated ABS Actuator/ECU. It comes out of that ABS system as a purple wire. The identical ABS System can be found on some LEXUS automobiles.

After speaking with Doug Copeland MR220V, he mentioned at one point using a certain generation MR2 ABS ECU, in conjunction with the ST215 ECU, to get a speed reference signal, however I kaiboshed this idea, and bought Dakota Digital SGI-5E and SGI-8E Instrument Converters.

Both Dakota Digital Units worked immediately upon plugging it in!

This is how I wired it.

Rav4 OEM Factory VSS Wires to Dakota Digital SGI-5E
  • RED-BLUE (Gauge Circuit, used to power VSS) Unused, tape it off or use it to power the converters
  • BLUE-BLACK (Output Speedometer, Tach and Fuel Gauge Grounds!)
  • YELLOW-RED (Output to Rav4 Speedometer from SGI-5E)
  • Sensor INPUT - One side of your ABS Sensor goes here (polarity insensitive)
  • Sensor GROUND - Other side of ABS Sensor goes here (polarity insensitive)
*CAL (calibration) .251 (as MRTuna discovered from MR2.com) is perfect!
*L-L (low-low)
*I used shielded wire between the ABS Sensor and the Dakota Unit. (ground one end of shield, tape the other)
*I'm scrapping ABS all together so I wont miss it. I do not recommend "Splicing" into the sensor. Choose, speedometer or ABS, not both at the same time, with this method anyways.

Rav4 OEM Tachometer Wires to Dakota Digital SGI-8E
Black wire from 3S-GTE (gen4) ECU Connector "C" Wire No. "27" or C-27
goes into "Signal in terminal".
Run a wire from the NORMAL Output to the Black TACH Gauge wire on the Instrument Cluster Connector No "A" Wire "8" or A-8 (behind instrument cluster).

(Note, if you are using Air Conditioning, you will need to be certain that the Air Conditioning ECU is also getting a corrected OUTPUT signal from the Dakota Digital Unit.)

The only two Check Engine Codes I was hanging onto after the 3S-GTE Swap were related to the Tachometer and Speedometer not being connected! I AM CEL FREE!

I hope this helps someone someday!
Hi,
Thanks for the info , I will try these solutions. I m having problem with my 4th gen 3SGTE swapped MK1 RAV4 getting CEL, both tach and speedo not working plus white smoke and temp gauge shooting to 3/4 when I m driving..

1 - 2 of 2 Posts