Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning. So, I need help. I'm tired having a mech look at my Rav 4 every time it develop so a fault. Well, certain things it makes sense but man I can't afford every maintenance done by them.
The problem is, I am not as conversant with cars. Pops taught me a few things growing up but just the basics. I'm looking for a simple understanding of a cars system. Like from the moment you crank it to the time it starts moving. I want knowledge of the mechanism that happens in the hood. Pretty dumb question right? ? But help a brother out.
I've a learn to a few things on my own but need y'all to walk me through it. Cheers!

·
Premium Member
1999 Toyota RAV4 with 3MZ-FE 6 cylinder engine, camo wrap, OME lift, heavily modded
2,045 Posts
I agree not many people that drive 20 yrear old cars have the resources to pay for all the maintenance a 20 year old vehicle requires. Check out the Scotty Kilmer videos on YouTube, they are educational, informative, and even entertaining. I don't know how well you understand English (no insult intended) but you may try searching for the same type of videos in your native tongue. I often use his and other videos to troubleshoot car problems.

https://www.youtube.com/user/scottykilmer

Some preventive maintenance to consider:
- Change your oil routinely
- Replace all belts and hoses
- If you don't know when the other fluids were changed last, change them all because they break down and can become acidic damaging your car:
-- Coolant
-- Transmission fluid/gear oil
-- Brake fluid
-- If 4x4, rear differential gear oil
-- Headlight fluid - (just kidding)
- Replace all vacuum hoses - vacuum leaks will cause all sorts of problems, at 20 years old they must be replaced
- If you don't know when the timing belt was replaced or it's over 75,000 miles, get a timing belt/water pump kit and replace both while you are there.
- Tune up
- Clean throttle body
- Replace all coolant hoses and thermostat
- Go under your RAV and inspect the rear brake and fuel lines
- Replace all rubber fuel lines including the filler neck tube, hoses and those hoses above the fuel tan
- Inspect the brake pads and brake shoes, replace if needed
- Check your engine grounds, replace all with at least 4 gauge wire

I know it's a long list, just take a look at it and do a little at a time. You can find YouTube videos for each procedure.

Have a great day

·
Registered
43 Posts
More Information about your RAV.

I would like to include to edogator's advice that you should tell us the year, transmission, drive type (2WD or 4WD) and the mileage and service history.
Thanks,
rav4 1

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
All non-hybrid cars operate on the same principles and all hybrids generally operate on principles common to them. The info is available on the internet, for example this regarding non-hybrid cars: https://www.howacarworks.com/basics

1 - 5 of 5 Posts