Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had my dealer do the wiring for my Gentex mirror (GENK45A) and the compass and Homelink work fine.

The installation manual shows to cover the front sensor and the mirror would dim, but when I did that, it didn't (in the garage).

Last night was the first time I'd driven at night and I was curious what would happen, but I didn't notice any change in the mirror's dimming. The green indicator was on, and, as noted, the other items work OK. Does the mirror only dim when receiving high beams?

Any suggestions for what to check?

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
It may not be noticeable when testing, and I've found that a hand is really a poor blocker of light for the front sensor.
Put on a black glove and cover the front, then shine a light into the rear and you should see it tint blue/green.

If the green light is on, it has power and is "on"

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just installed one myself. Held something over the front facing sensor and shined flashlight at rear facing sensor. Worked fine. The brighter the light from the rear, the dimmer the mirror. Remove the light from the rear and mirror quickly returns to normal. This is the way they all operate. If your new one isn't, go back and have them check it. Good luck.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies.

When I had tried the testing, I held a cloth over the light sensor (as noted in the instructions).

After sending this initial note, I spoke with the place I had bought the mirror and he told me I had to shine a light into the mirror for it to dim, which I did, and it did! So, no problems with the mirror.

·
Premium Member
2,505 Posts
Yep, the stock Toyota auto dimming is proportional to the amount of light, and it dims gradually so you might not notice it, especially if you are used to the old 'flip' kind of shade. Glad you got it sorted out. Enjoy!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts