Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have driven my Rav up some REALLY slippy and steep hills recently, mainly slightly off-road on gravel and mud drives to cabins in the mountains. What amazes me is how well the Rav's 4 wheel drive and the engine will pull the Rav up these steep, slippery hills without hardly any wheelspin or engine lag, even when fully loaded (mine is an auto and I slip it into L1). HOWEVER, on the way down again I feel terrified. Having only disk brakes at the front and drums at the rear I feel the need to be really careful on the brake to maintain a slow speed without locking up. Engine breaking does not work because this would mean going faster which would not feel safe on these inclines. Any comments?

·
Registered
542 Posts
just 1 of the reasons i don't really like driving an automatic!! going slowly downhill is not much of a problem in a stick shift! just use 1st gear and make sure the aircon is off!!! it would probably be worse if you had disk brakes on the back end!!

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh, but the luxury and refinement of an automatic. It's like driiving a Lexus and never fails to impress the ladies.

S

·
0 Posts
ABS?! Why on earth would you want ABS? All it ever does is annoy me.

As for getting down a hill....well...just learn your limits and the vehicles limits. I personally haven't had much problems. Ice, snow, hard rain, light rain, whatever, just know what you and your vehicle can and can't do. Drive it slow if you must, nothing wrong with that.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What I was really after with this post was a test of experiences. I wanted a member to say "I drove down a hill steeper than one the Rav could get up" or "I drove up a hill but there was no way I was gonna get down it again".

I think the Rav will go up something steeper than it will go down which raises a number of interesting issues i.e. the possibility of getting stuck up a mountain.

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
I have only had the RAV for a week now - no chance to get off road YET......

I think if you can get up the hill, just take it easy coming down and you should be able to tackle most tracks......

·
Registered
542 Posts
if the rover can't get up a hill.... push it up with a tank..

to get back down, just take a zig-zag path from one tree to the next..

talking from experience...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts