Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I am new to this forum, but I would like to buy a Rav4 2006 model, I am in Canada, and just wondering if you guys can give me any tips on how to get the best deal when it comes to buying a brand new Rav4, as this will be my first brand new vehicle.

Thanks!

C

·
0 Posts
I'm not sure if this is a tip or not but here is my deal.

I got a V6 Limited Rav4 Package "B" with just about every single accessory added. I got clear coat, leather protection, and underbody work and sound proof. I also got extended warranty.

I can't remember my exact cost. But I paid the full MSRP for the vehicle, however. I got $100 off extended warrany to $899. I got all of the coats for $700, I got all accessories at cost, I got $500 off the vehicle (since I'm graduating with a diploma this year). I also got my vehicle at an EXTREMELY good trade in value. My 2003 Rav4 got traded for $21,000cdn which works out to about 24,000 savings. My vehicle was in an accident 3 years ago that was $11,000 in repairs, and I told the guy who I was dealing about this and of course he found out, but really wanted my business.

Z

·
0 Posts
I double-teamed the salesman.

I saw him alone in the morning but told him flat out that my mom was currently at a Honda dealership because she had her heart set on the CRV. I said I would meet my mom for lunch and compare notes.

Sure enough I returned to see the salesman the same afternoon with my mom in tow. I told her to be the complete “bad cop”. She went on and on about how the Honda salesman was going to give her $2000 below MSRP and how absolutely lovely the CRV was. I said, “C’mon, mom… let’s be fair and give this poor guy a chance and hear him out…”

Well, after much haggling I got the RAV4 for $907 below MSRP.

The salesman said he couldn’t match the Honda discount because the RAV4 is all-new this year whereas Honda was “giving away” the CRV because it is going to be redesigned for 2007 (which is true, at least he wasn’t using a dishonest sales pitch). He even offered to drive us in the RAV4 over to the Honda dealership to compare it with the CRV side-by-side. Wouldn’t that have been hilarious if I had called his bluff!

I think I got a pretty fair deal. If you do better then good on you!

Cheers,
Zippy.

B

·
0 Posts
Yeah, csis_agent, I too paid full price on my RAV4 Ltd. 6-cyl, "B" package. The truth of the matter is that the Toyota dealer, when he told me what the difference would be between my '96 4Runner and the new RAV4, started at $2,000 better than the best price I was hoping to get!! This is based on the trade-in calculator on Toyota Canada's website, plus seeing what 4Runners of my vintage were selling for.

Of the treatments they offered, I was only interested in the leather treatment just because then they supposedly will warranty it for life against stains. I know I could have sprayed on some Scotch-gard myself for $10 or $20, but the stain warrenty sold me.

Then, feeling quite flushed from my savings, I fell for the extra care warranty. I don't believe in them in principle. (Why buy a car that is so unreliable that you need to pay more for an extra warranty?) But, again, I was feeling good about the trade-in value they offered plus in the back of my mind I was a little worried about it being the first model year of the new iteration. BUT, having religiously read all the forums for several months, I offered about 2/3 of the asking price for the ECP and they did give in (after claiming that they never, ever do so!)

All in all, I could not have envisioned a more professional, positive experience. I feel I got an excellent product at a very fair price.

By the way, good tactic, zippy canuck! I'll have to remember that for next time.

Aside from that, Shemsey, I would advise researching and knowing in advance exactly which features and dealre add-ons you want for what net price. Also, have a good idea of what your trade-in is worth. For the foreseeable future, I don't think many Toyota dealers in Canada will move much on the price. They seem very generous with the trade-in values. One tactic I was planning on using was advising the dealer that I was hitting three dealerships in the area and whichever would give me the best price on the trade-in and the accessories would get my business. But, again, it never came to that because I was blown away by their initial offer.

So, do your research and try to make it as enjoyable a purchase as possible: you are getting an excellent vehicle from a first-rate manufacturer and which will give you many years of service and enjoyment!

·
Registered
1 Posts
This is what I've tried

I think a great way to get a good deal is go to www.apa.ca you can check it out, it's an easier way to get a good deal. I went through them and i find buying a new car much easier. But they only offer in a few major cities in Canada, hopefully you live in one of those major cities. The membership is about 70 bucks but I think it's well worth the money. Check it out.

R

·
0 Posts
I think I got a pretty decent deal. I got free stepbars and 5% off MSRP. For a new car, it's a good deal I think. I also got 200 dollar discount off rust protection.

M

·
0 Posts
Deal in Canada

I managed to get what I consider a good deal ... here's how it went for me ...

I drove the Rav4 over to the competition lot, with the sales lady in the car with me, and parked it right next to the other vehicle I was considering (though I knew I would get the Rav 90%)

With the Toyota sales person in the Rav and the Mazda dealer "wheeling and dealing" (that is what they do best) ... he offered extra warranty free, paint and rust protection free, $1500 off the price, $1000 grad rebate, free satellite radio, free mats ... etc etc...

Then I drove away and told the sales person for Toyota that I "really want the Rav ... but I can't justify throwing away such a good deal" ...

We talked for a while longer and then I showed her the Car Cost Canada report (showing the exact markup that dealers use) and she made an offer of 800 off the MSRP plus 5 years oil change.

I hummed and hawed and counter offered 1300 off the MSRP.

She hummed and hawed and talked to her manager...

Came back and said ... If you take to show model (not a demo) with 12 Km on the odometer... we will give you 1300 off and 5 years of oil changes free.

There was no pressure to buy extended warranty, paint protection, rust inhibitor, stain guard, or anything else.

As far as I can figure they made maybe $800 - $900 off the car.

And that is how I got my deal...

Now if only I could have found a better interest rate... 5.9%.

Can't win em all. :roll:

V

·
0 Posts
roxtc said:
I think I got a pretty decent deal. I got free stepbars and 5% off MSRP. For a new car, it's a good deal I think. I also got 200 dollar discount off rust protection.

I'm kinda skeptical of your discount. The reason being that the dealer's markup is around 8.25%. So you are saying that they practically gave you the vehicle for 3.2% over invoice cost...at the beginning of the spring/summer sales season?

Possibly, because they make most of their profit off of the extras...hmmmm. :shock:

·
Registered
165 Posts
vroom2grow said:
roxtc said:
I'm kinda skeptical of your discount. The reason being that the dealer's markup is around 8.25%. So you are saying that they practically gave you the vehicle for 3.2% over invoice cost...at the beginning of the spring/summer sales season?

Possibly, because they make most of their profit off of the extras...hmmmm. :shock:
Less than 3.2% as the FREE stepbars price over $400.

If it is true (sound very good), the profit could be came from 2% over invoice, trade-in (if any), financial/lease (if any), accessaries (if any), add-on like rust protection ($200 discount!? -> paying $199?), extend warranty, etc...

M

·
0 Posts
Any one bought the extened warranty?

I am buying a new RAV4 this week. Anyone got a discount on the New Vehicle Comprehensive Program (warranty)?

R

·
0 Posts
ic said:
vroom2grow said:
roxtc said:

Less than 3.2% as the FREE stepbars price over $400.

If it is true (sound very good), the profit could be came from 2% over invoice, trade-in (if any), financial/lease (if any), accessaries (if any), add-on like rust protection ($200 discount!? -> paying $199?), extend warranty, etc...
Well we're repeat customers, we got our last car from the same dealership in 2002/3 (slipped my mind). We were extremely close with a dealer who has now left. We are also connected to the dealer we worked with.

We orignally tried to get 5.5% but it wouldn't work with his manager, so we went to 5% and the offer was accepted. They had REALLY long discussions, I think his manager was really giving him a hard time.

We only got rust protection, and we're financing from them as well.

G

·
0 Posts
I got my base for $1185 off of MSRP. Got them to throw in:

- tinting on all windows
- rear bumper protector
- side steps
- remote starter at cost
- all season mats

·
Premium Member
3,348 Posts
shredder2010 said:
I purchased a 06 v6 limited with the b package,about $1200 off msrp and no pdi or freight charge.
I wish they offered the LIMITED in the USA with the FLARES... as seen on YOUR model :roll: (nice pics in your album :thumbs_up: ) The only way to get the OEM flares (unless trying to have them installed AFTER purchase) is to order the SPORT package. Your BODY SIDE MOLDING looks GREAT with your FLARES 8)

S

·
0 Posts
shredder2010 said:
I purchased a 06 v6 limited with the b package,about $1200 off msrp and no pdi or freight charge.
How can you guys do that? I did 2-3 Toyota dealer, and all of them, because of "Access Toyota" they cant go down on price, is Access Toyota a Québec thing only?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts