Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else had this? (2016 Hybrid Ltd.)

Already cleaned the sensors, no change.

At the dealer now for 5000 mile 'service' and they're going to look at it. Made it sound like a big deal, would take a while.

Maybe they are backed up for anything other than checking oil, etc.

Do they have special certifications for techs who work on safety systems?

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Isn't that the cameras on the rear-views? Does the panoramic view function OK? Cause that uses the same cameras.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Isn't that the cameras on the rear-views? Does the panoramic view function OK? Cause that uses the same cameras.
All cameras and panoramic/birds eye views are working OK. According to the manual, the BSM sensors are on the rear bumper.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update.

Just heard from the dealer. It seems the Mrs. had bumped into our other car backing out of the garage. It barely left a scrape on the bumper, no dents or visible misalignment, but it was apparently enough to knock the sensor on that side out of alignment and the mounting bracket may be bent. It's out of whack enough that they can't calibrate the sensor.

They are going to have to remove the bumper, repair or replace the mounting bracket, and then try to calibrate the sensor. All that is going to be about $500. If the sensor is bad, it is $1100 more for the sensor. They are thinking/hoping the sensor is OK and repairing the mounting bracket and calibrating it will fix it. None of it will be covered by warranty because of the scrape on the bumper.

Sheesh! How many sensors are on this thing? At $1100 a pop, if they all went bad it would total the vehicle!

·
Registered
342 Posts
The bracket is probably stamped sheet metal. Could be easily bent back. The dealer won't do that of course, they are in the business of making money. :D

Anybody know if there are shop service manuals available for the new Rav4? :confused:

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Weird that the Mrs. dinged it two or three weeks ago but the BSM alert only came up two or three days ago.

Don't think they are trying to pull anything, though. They've been great in the past and we are acquainted with the owner (lives down the street) for whatever that's worth.

Anyway, if they have to get the sensor I'll refer them to the above link. :)

·
Registered
342 Posts
Don't think they are trying to pull anything, though. They've been great in the past and we are acquainted with the owner (lives down the street) for whatever that's worth.
I'm not saying they are. It's just how things get fixed at the dealer. Bending a bracket back is not the proper procedure, even though it would functionally be equivalent to a replacement.

I'd be curious to see what it looks like behind the bumper and what would happen if it were parked in a hostile parallel parking environment. Getting bumper bumped pretty hard is pretty normal. :mad:

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'd be curious to see what it looks like behind the bumper and what would happen if it were parked in a hostile parallel parking environment. Getting bumper bumped pretty hard is pretty normal. :mad:
Yes, seems awfully fragile for a plastic bumper. The scuff is going to be super expensive to fix, too, because of the Blizzard Pearl paint. Think I'll have them do that too since they have to take the bumper off anyway. No sense paying for that twice.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Yes, seems awfully fragile for a plastic bumper. The scuff is going to be super expensive to fix, too, because of the Blizzard Pearl paint. Think I'll have them do that too since they have to take the bumper off anyway. No sense paying for that twice.

Glad I read this. Some guy in a mini wasn't paying attention and plowed into me at a red light. We both pulled over and no one was hurt and it was a low speed collision without apparent damage so I didn't even get his info!
Luckily, it was on my Accord which doesn't have BSM in bumper.

Seems like a horrible place to put them unless you're trying to help out the garage and the insurance industry.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Should I try cleaning the cameras on the rear bumper before calling the dealer? just had a major snow storm so they are probably dirty?

Thanks
Front camera in the grill, windshield camera, side cameras under the mirrors, rear camera, and all the bumper sensors, front and rear.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts