Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's already getting down in the 20's at night and my doors are sticking shut.

So, silicone spray on the door seals?

Also, the gas cap door doesn't want to open all the time.

·
Registered
35 Posts
In cold weather I apply a silicone spray to the door seals. I especially make certain to do this if I have washed the vehicle during low temperatures. You could possibly wipe around where the gas lid makes contact with some silicone to prevent that from sticking.

·
Super Moderator
11,109 Posts
The gas lid area gets filthy, clean it. Also lube the hinges.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,729 Posts
The gas lid area gets filthy, clean it. Also lube the hinges.
Yeah, I've often wondered about that? Why does that area get so dirty? Do gas fumes attract dust and soot? What do you use to clean the fuel filler area?

·
Registered
8,535 Posts
Yeah, I've often wondered about that? Why does that area get so dirty? Do gas fumes attract dust and soot? What do you use to clean the fuel filler area?

My fuel filler door area is clean and I don't clean it. I suspect that sometimes when people remove the gasoline filler nozzle occasionally a drop or so of gas may drip onto the area, and that I know from experience will attract dust. In Oregon with few exceptions we can't fuel our own vehicles at a gas station and attendants are required to stop fueling at the first click shut off. Sometimes when fueling several cars at the same time the filler nozzle may remain in the filler for some time before removal. With all of that there is little chance of any gas dripping from the nozzle when it is removed.

·
Super Moderator
11,109 Posts
Nothing special, it gets washed with the rest of the car. If it's dirty but I'm not washing the car then an old rag that will be thrown away afterwards.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts