Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi rav 4 owners and potential future owners, im of course new to this forum and I now own a camry and had to put a trike holding hitch on it and the carrier is very heavy and a pain to take on n off, so... Within the next 3-6 months i would like to replace it for either an suv or crossover, so i could simply put my bike trike right into the Back of the vehicle and rid myself of this heavy trailer. Im considering the rav 4 only if the dimentions will allow me to do this. I have owned a 4 runner but found the gas mileage wasnt that good for me at the time. Does anyone know the height of the cargo on the rav, from the floor to the roof? I need 3' and i also need to know what the length would be from the very back of the closed hatch to the back of the front seat once a back seat is folded down. Again i will need 72" distance for my trike to fit. The width is also 3' but im sure the rav 4 has more than that in the cargo space.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Couldn't say about the height until I can measure, but I can say that I can fit my bike inside, (laying down), without taking off the front wheel. It is a 'racing bike' with a 59cm top tube, (in "layman's terms", that means it is one of the larger frame sizes available, (Pinarello KOBH if anyone is really interested)). My seat is pretty high too. It fits quite nicely. I had thought about making a little bed inside the back for times when I travel and want a cheap bed for the night. I found that if I moved the passenger seat forward just a few clicks that I fit nicely. I'm 75" tall, and you need to add a few inches for a pillow to that.

- - -

edited to add:

One thing to check into is that if you need a full 72", it would be best to take your bike and try to fit it inside at the dealership. The center console between the driver's and passenger's seats sticks rearward a little bit and I think might impact that 72". Assuming the height is okay, I still think your bike will fit. All you need to do is twist the front wheel so it is slightly offset and would fit 'around' the console.

Before I purchased my RAV, I asked, and was given permission, to see if my bike would fit inside easily.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
great help!

I appreciate you're experience with you're bike on this, and I guess I may have to either bring a tape measure or the bike into the dealership like you said. It is only one of the vehicles that Im considering. But Im also looking for a lot of the upgrades, like the reverse camera, gps system, good sounds, comfort and good gas mileage, electric seats would be a plus rather than doing the old fashion adjustments on seats mirrors ect. Ill have to see if they have a sun/moon roof as it may be a concern from what Ive heard about leaking issues with those. I also have to make sure my 99 yr old friend can easily get into it. So many things to think about. Ill probably look into the 2015's to save a bit more with very low miles. A nice blue, bronzy or burgundy would be great too, but not a deal breaker for me. Ive been looking at buick crossovers (very pricey) and kiss or hundais also, but just don't know the other 2 very well and I do know the toyota reliability!
Thanks again,
I think my trike would fit in there pretty well, but I won't make any decision until I look these cars over with a fine tooth comb.(Big investment to not do that)!

·
Registered
423 Posts
I'm home now and have access to my tape measure. It looks like 85 centimeters, (just under 34 inches). I might have lost a few ticks by having the OEM All Weather mat and a blanket on top of that, (to 'protect' the carpet from the bike oil and grease).

On the 'creature comforts' you list, I think mine has all or most of them. My copy is a 2015 Limited. However, only the driver's seat is electric. The passenger's is manual. The bass on FM radio is non-existent, and a well-known issue/problem. Other than that, the sound system is pretty good.

On the sunroof...the days of leaking sun roofs are pretty much past. My other two cars, an '85 Mercedes diesel and an '89 Mercedes coupe both have sunroofs. Neither has ever leaked. You need not be concerned about that. I think all of the Limited RAVs come with a sunroof anyway. Maybe the XLEs too.

Go grab the on-line RAV4 e-brochure and pour over it. You'll learn a lot about the six different models, (for 2016, only three for 2015), available and what features are standard and optional on each.

Only thing I wonder about is if you can heft your trike into the back. Those things aren't very light, and are clumsy too. My bike is only 17 pounds, and is only slightly awkward loading. I can foresee the day when I won't be able to easily load it up in the trunk. (I have a rear hitch rack, but put the bike inside if I'm stopping anywhere where theft might be a problem. My bike is worth more than both of my Mercedes . . . together!) I'll be retiring in a about eleven more months at 65 1/2 and this RAV is the car that will get me through the first ten years of so of retirement. I can see when I'm 80 or so that it would be a bit more difficult to load up a bike inside, hence the hitch rack.

Good luck in your search. You might want to consider an older Highlander. They are a bit larger.

p.s. I'm been getting 26+ mpg consistently with regular Costco gasoline. My driving style is pretty conservative and light-footed; probably a mix of 25% city / 75% highway. A lot of those highway miles are in the mountains on my commute to work from home.
Good luck in your search.

- - -

For 2016, the LE, XLE, SE, Limited, XLE hybrid, and Limited hybrid.
For 2015, just the LE, XLE, Limited

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hmm sound like the height of the seat may not fit if its only 34 inches, but the trike does fold also, just not sure if its a hassle. And as far as getting it in, i was hoping i could simply left the lighter front end in first and then heave the back end which will be resting on the ground and just slide it in. Sounds like even the 2015's are pretty up dated, but think ill bring the trike with me and make sure its going to go in and fit as easily as i hope, thanks again for youre input, its making it worth checking out. Ill recommend you as a rav 4 advisor lol!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts