Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Driving home to Houston tomorrow. Probably going to be some high water going into my neighborhood. I understand the air intake for the engine is about 15" from the ground. This could be pretty close to the water I need to get through. I am thinking I could open the clips on air box where the air filter is get air to the engine there, bypassing the section close to the ground.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
543 Posts

You can see from the photos where the water could enter the resonator and not so much the snorkel up behind the fender.

Without mod, you should be fine up to middle lower part of your bumper.

Obviously be super careful and do this at your own risk... be safe!

·
Registered
9,025 Posts
Having come near to being swept away by flood water less deep than 15 inches in my reckless youth I suggest staying put and on high ground until the water level subsides.

·
Super Moderator
11,095 Posts
Whatever you do with the engine be ready to replace all your wheel bearings two weeks afterwards when you can no longer stand the whine & growling.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,892 Posts
Did anyone besides me see the clip of the idiot on the news driving their white Corolla through the water in Houston? It almost went over the front of the hood. I was amazed they didn't hydro-lock their engine.

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
Don't be a statistic. Check in somewhere and wait it out.
This.

These are not off-road vehicles and were not designed to be submerged.
Anything over 6" is pushing it.

Keep in mind that even if you are familiar with the road, if you can't see the bottom, you don't know that the bottom is still there.
A "low spot" that always collects water may seem like no big deal if it's 6" higher than normal, but what you can't see is whether or not the bottom has washed out and it's really 3ft deep.

·
Registered
403 Posts
It takes very little running water to wash a vehicle down stream...Turn Around, Don't Drown!

·
Registered
171 Posts
pictures on the news show 4 feet plus of water down there. Truely frightening to see. Im with the others who are saying wait it out.

stay safe and good luck if you so venture home.

d

·
Registered
409 Posts
Yep good idea, the actual intake from the airbox is usually the highest point, so what you suggest is a good short term fix.

As others have said though, be careful. Have you waded before? You can't be sure where the bottom is. If the water is fast flowing, don't do it. A tip in case you start floating or being swept away, is to open your door, water comes in and you're no longer light enough to float, but lots of electrics in new cars and probably low down.

As said again, it's not a proper off-roader.

·
Premium Member
2,505 Posts
Do not do high water. The RAV4 is nothing but a Toyota Corolla with a pretend SUV body

·
Registered
279 Posts
Driving home to Houston tomorrow. Probably going to be some high water going into my neighborhood. I understand the air intake for the engine is about 15" from the ground. This could be pretty close to the water I need to get through. I am thinking I could open the clips on air box where the air filter is get air to the engine there, bypassing the section close to the ground.

Thoughts?
My friend and I considered doing this. But if water is that high, you're going to want to create a bow of water so there's a vacuum right behind the bumper. Lower pressure, less water, reduced height of water. Some of that bow water will wash over your hood. So having the airbox open and hood even partially open is a bad idea.

Anyways, if the water level is lower than the height of your tire, you'll be fine.

·
Registered
2016 Hybrid Limited
70 Posts
there is a video somewhere on youtube of someone abandoning their rav4 out the side window after it flooded out. as she was swimming away something must have shorted out and the power hatch opened by itself causing it to lose buoyancy and the rav4 sank in seconds.

don't do it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Does anyone know offhand about doing deep water with a hybrid?

The battery must be pretty well sealed, but what about the electric motors?

I'm not suggesting this, and I'd never do it, I'm more curious if anyone knows about how the handle water w/ those parts.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
You can pull the resonator and tape off the opening. Based on the pictures this will give you another foot. If you are crossing a short section of water you will be fine. It's mostly fresh water right?

I crossed Bullfrog creek a month or so ago in our RAV fully loaded. Less than a foot deep, sandy bottom. Walked it first though.

You will know the condition better than someone, behind a keyboard, 1000s of miles away. You make the call.

Attachments

·
Registered
42 Posts
Mostly good advice on high water driving

Above all else, be cautious! I would not be driving in ANY water more than 6-8" deep. Flood water is especially hazardous due to water-borne illnesses, debris (both floating and submerged), nasty critters, underwater broken glass, electrical shock hazard, strong current, etc. If I was already in a life or death situation, I would do it in an attempt to get out of that situation. Just ask yourself what you will do or recover that is possibly worth losing your life over. Seen in that light, it is best not to take substantial risks that you don't HAVE to take. IMO, it's just not worth the risk.

Best of luck if you decide to try it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I drove through about 3 feet of water last summer during a flood in Louisiana. We were fleeing rising water and I did not have a choice. The Rav made it through with a little stuttering for a couple miles then the check engine light came on. We have a 2006 RAV4 sport with a V6. The charcoal canister Assembly did go bad. The part is very expensive but I found a used part on eBay from a Scion and I replaced the part and all is well.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts