Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Thanks for clicking. I really need some input into the problem before resorting to taking it to the local dealer.

2006 4WD 4 cylinder, sport or limited edition (can't remember), 36K miles. The car was bought new from the local dealer and the car was shipped straight to here from wherever it was manufactured. I live on a little island in the Caribbean-- that's why the mileage is low, and why 4th gear might be completely unused :D.

It's been a good car, requiring few fixes despite my negligent maintenance.

Last week something really weird started.

I'd been driving about fifteen minutes when suddenly my seat and lower back became increasingly hot. Uncomfortably hot. I don't have seat warmers so I was very worried. Was something about to catch fire?? I didn't smell anything amiss. I reached down and felt under the seat and it was not hot. The seat cooled off after a few minutes and then it happened again. I've been maximally stressed about a number of things so I thought it might be my imagination. I reached my destination and forgot about the problem. It happened again a few times on the way home that day.

Since then it happens every time I drive, most often soon after starting the car.

My car does not have seat warmers... or at least it doesn't have seat warmer controls. I'm starting to think it must have seat warmer wiring built in to the seat but not connected, or connected but permanently off (not hooked up to a control) but if so, what has caused it to start heating now?? Is there a short somewhere? Bare insulation? Other explanation??

I certainly do NOT need to have any more heat applied to my rear end in this already uncomfortably hot and humid environment.

What do you think is going on, and what should be done about it?

I'm about to pull the ripcord and bail out of this little rock of an island. Heading back to the States and taking my car with me in December. Perhaps shipping the car is stupid because it's pretty old and has been in a corrosive environment for 13 years but the mileage is low and the car is in generally good condition. Replacing it with something equivalent in Texas would cost quite a bit more.

Hmm, If the seat does have warming wires already inside, I wonder if I could have Toyota just add a control. Seat warmers in Texas winters would be nice.

Thanks for reading, and I appreciate any and all input and advice :).

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
Now this is weird! Sounds like you bought it new, do you have any of the paperwork, like window sticker? If so, any mention of options? Is it fabric or leather? If leather, could it be aftermarket, like a tag sown into a seam that might say "Katzskin" or something?
I doubt Toyota would install heating elements in seats without it being listed as an option. Even if it did have a heating element installed by accident, it would have to be connected thru a control switch to a fuse.
Other than that, I got nuthin!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the input, @raveneur :)

I did buy it new, from the dealer's lot. I don't have the window sticker. The seats are leather, part of the standard package for this particular version of the vehicle-- made and installed by Toyota, presumably.

The only thing I can figure is that perhaps all of the seats (or leather seats) with this particular year/model/variety are routinely made with the seat warmer wiring in place and that if a customer doesn't order it as an option, they simply don't put a control on the dash?

Actually, I can't even confirm that seat warmers were an option for 2006 RAV4s but I assume they were. I looked and looked and looked on my dash and all around and didn't see any control that looked like it is for a seat warmer.

Do you know where such a control would be?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
At this point I have to assume that the driver's seat does indeed have seat warming wires inside and that there is some issue in the electrical system leading to those warmers being episodically activated now.

If I can't get the situation clarified and fixed before early December (move date), I guess I should have the shipping agent disconnect the battery during transit to prevent problems or battery drain. Maybe they do that routinely anyway?

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
I have a 2010 Base with aftermarket heated leather (Katzkin) seats and the controls are on the vertical center dash stack.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well.

This is embarrassing...

Yes, my car has heated seats.

Yes, there are controls for them.

Yes, the driver's seat control was turned on.

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I just didn't see the controls down by the cigarette lighter. There was a rag over them and I'd just never noticed the small controls before.

I'm a bit disappointed. It would have been a far better story had there really been no controls :D.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts