Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. I've monitored this forum for months as I've prepared to have to replace my 2017.5 Nissan Rogue SL nightmare.

I really want a RAV4 Hybrid but I need to know from all of you dealing with the gas tank concern: do you regret your purchase? If you knew then what you know now, would you not have purchased this car?

I need to know because I need a new vehicle very soon and I just don't want to get myself into another headache. With my Nissan I've dealt with constant shop visits and calling corporate dozens of times just to be told I'm being reviewed for a buyback or replacement that never happens.

Thanks so much and Happy Thanksgiving, everyone.

·
Registered
268 Posts
You will get between 370 and 450 miles to the tank with the gas tank issue, depending upon your driving conditions. This is based upon a 9.5 gallon fill from the low fuel light to pump shut off, without topping off. Only you can decide if that will bother you or not but at least you are going in knowing the risks.

For me, if the gas tank issue is the only problem I can live with it. One day we will find out definitively if we have a huge 4 gallon reserve or if the extra 2 gallons will not fit easily.

Unfortunately you learned the hard way that today's Nissan is nothing like yesteryears. I still think Toyotas are the most reliable car but overall quality of all new cars have gone downhill due to poor technology & safety implementation, increased fuel mileage pressure, and manufacture mergers & acquisitions.

·
Registered
278 Posts
would you buy it if it was advertised with a 10 gallon tank? If so, then go for it!
Considering that I replaced my 2008 V6 Rav4 that needed to be filled every 275 miles then I am doing fine with my new 2020 Hybrid (10 gal. x 40 mpg = 400 miles between fill-ups). I have filled up only once so far and did not have a problem. Keeping my fingers crossed...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Rav4SnowDriver boils the question down real well. Just don't get trapped in the "Internet Microscope" view of statistics - you are looking at a very focused group of people and a very small number of reports. Toyota sells over 9000 of these vehicles per month (in North America) and there are some reports of "no problem" floating around even in this forum. Statistically you woulld have to say that, based on this sampling, the problem is insignificant. This is not to minimize the frustration of those with problem - I have a 2020 on order and will very annoyed if the problem persists.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have no regrets regarding my purchase. Do I wish I could fill up my tank each and every time? Of course (and about 70% of the time, I can!), but I have been averaging over 40mpg with a kayak rack on most of the summer and fall. My biggest complaint is how buggy Entune is and that Toyota does not support AA at this time on my 2019 RAV4 Hybrid. A deal breaker; no? Every car has it +/-. Overall I am very happy with mine and I assume Toyota will fix the filling issue and over time support AA.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Thanks so much and Happy Thanksgiving, everyone.
I think you will find that nearly everyone on this forum would make the same purchase. The car does have a few quirks and we will live with them, or we will fix them. As far as the fueling issue - it's a crap shoot - I think the odds are still in your favor that you'll get one that will fill properly. As far as the rest of us, we will wait for a TSB and wait in line for the fix.

·
Registered
287 Posts
OR, you could buy a Cadillac . . . one of the highest rated brands according to CR. YEOOOOW, that lightning strike almost hit me!!!!!! Then you could fill the 20 gallon tank FULL UP every 300 miles.
(OK. Releasing tongue in cheek button.)

·
Registered
723 Posts
I don't know of a car as good that has as good a reputation even among the tough customers here as the Rav4h. I shopped others while I was considering buying. I wouldn't have cared if I had a 10 gallon tank before I bought and it turns out I am one of the lucky ones that has at least a 85% success rate in filling up my tank to the F mark. No rattles, no squeaks. And the only delivery problem I had was the dealer forgot to reset the tire pressures I am way ahead of the average new vehicle satisfaction rating.

I've posted a detailed description how I feel about the car and what I think could be improved here. Bottom line: I don't know of a car in the same price range available today which would do what I want it to do better.

Good luck with your decision.

·
Registered
121 Posts
The fuel tank thing is an annoyance to me, but that one flaw alone is not what would cause me to go back in time and buy a different car, if I had a time machine.

When I bought my RAV, there was nothing else available that had AWD, some light towing capacity, sub 8 second 0-60, decent space for a small family, 40 mpg, and Toyota reliability / resale. At least that I could find new for $30k.

Had the Honda CR-V hybrid been available last June, I'd possibly have gone that route. I like how the current CR-V drives better than the RAV. I prefer the Honda's suspension tuning and steering feel, at least in the gas versions I've driven since the hybrid isn't available in my area quite yet. I also think the CR-V does interior space utilization and outward visibility from the driver's seat slightly better. If I were buying now, I'd probably wait to drive the CR-V hybrid and then make a decision. In my experience, the CR-V has just a touch more of the secret engineering sauce that just feels spot on, and the Toyota is a bit more appliance like and humdrum. It is hard to quantify this, and a lot of it boils down to personal preference. Neither vehicle is a sports car by any means.

·
Registered
287 Posts
CR-V was going to be my choice . . . then I found out about the oil problem. No thanks. I prefer to add oil after an oil and filter change, not everytime I fill the gas tank. Or oftener.

Pass.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I bought a 2020 Limited Hybrid a month ago. 4 fills (3 from half, 1 from 1/4 full)
3 of the fills stopped above the full mark. One stopped just under the full mark. I didn’t try to squeeze in more.

So far pretty good so I’m not too worried. I love this vehicle.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you so much for all of your feedback, everyone. A couple things:

My dealer said that there's talk in corporate meetings about the 2019 getting Android Auto upgrade in the next few months. There's also talk about there being a charge to update to the new software. Just wanted to share what I heard here in NY.

I negotiated a deal and I'm waiting for a dealer swap on a 2020 RAV4 Hybrid Limited!
Color: Silver Sky Metallic
Interior: Black
Packages: Limited Cold Weather, Limited Advanced Technology, Panoramic Moonroof
Accessories: Mudguards, All Weather Mats,
MSRP: $40388
Selling price: $38000
Discount: $2,388

I plan on taking it for a long test drive and filling up the tank before taking it home. I'm curious to see what happens with the fill up but I'm also used to working a little harder to get a full tank with my current vehicle, anyway. You're right, it's not a deal breaker for me and Toyota will figure it out eventually. Whether they do something about it, who knows.

I'm very excited and will share pictures once it arrives! Thank you again, everyone!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Do you like 40 mpg? Do you like Toyota reliability? Do you want a compact crossover? If so then buy. Because there's nothing else that will get 40 mpg.

I can get 500 miles to a tank if I really want to. I usually go to the gas station earlier. There's people on here that have gone 600 miles.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts