Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 288 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally today I installed LED headlights for the low beams on my 2013 Limited.

After going back and forth with myself about HIDs or LEDs, last Monday I ordered a set of LED headlight bulbs from amazon.

Got them today and installed them as soon as I got home from work.

I couldn't be happier with the result, but reserve a better judgement until I get to drive more during nighttime.

Here are a few pics I took of the LED bulbs and how they looked after installation.
20170208_174843.jpg
20170208_182918.jpg
20170208_184641.jpg
This are the bulbs I got, they're not the most expensive nor the cheapest, but I'm in a budget so, there you go: NIGHTEYE 9005 HB3 LED Headlight Conversion Driving lamp Bulbs Light 60W 8000LM 6500k https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01H02KUG4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apap_BWqgfIyACMnqE

Sent From the Edge of the Seventh Galaxy

·
Registered
45 Posts
Nicely done, thinking about doing this soon. Im glad to see someone on here pull the trigger and post some nice pictures. I'd be interested in how these fit in the housing with all of that heat dissipating rope.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nicely done, thinking about doing this soon. Im glad to see someone on here pull the trigger and post some nice pictures. I'd be interested in how these fit in the housing with all of that heat dissipating rope.

Thanks!
That's what I'm missing; pictures of what it looks like inside the hood. I will take pictures later today and post them here.

I decided to leave the dust cover off. I might close it to test how hot it gets in there since I don't drive for long periods at night.

In any case, I'll be testing them every chance I get and report back to this thread. Hopefully I can help others.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Sounds great, thanks for that!

Just so we're clear, are you running them w/o the dust cover ATM?

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's right, no dust covers.
Here are the pictures of how they are now.
20170209_161425.jpg
20170209_161438.jpg
20170209_161505.jpg
On the driver's side I placed the driver (they are not ballast) inside the housing.
I might do the same on the other side but need to make sure the heat won't damage anything in there.
The other option would be to drill a small hole on the dust cover to place the cables through there and keep the drivers outside.

I might use them like this until spring or summer, we'll see. In any case, I will update here if and when that happens.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Do you have a projector or halogen headlight housing?
All the headlight housings for the 2013-2015 Rav4s have halogen projectors for the low beams.
The only things I changed were the headlight bulbs.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This is how it looks in daylight with the lights on.
20170209_075232.jpg

·
Registered
128 Posts
Just to clarify you are using these LED's on a projector housing? Are you able to maintain proper light cut off? I am interested in doing this on my RAV4 2010 limitted

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just to clarify you are using these LED's on a projector housing? Are you able to maintain proper light cut off? I am interested in doing this on my RAV4 2010 limitted
Yes, cut off is the same as it was with the regular halogen bulbs. Unfortunately I didn't take pics of that, but I did check.
I haven't use it at night enough time and in country roads to see if they are definitely better.
I'll probably use my Rav at night this weekend, I'll post my findings.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
does the driver get hot or just the bulb? mine didn't have a driver.
Don't know yet, haven't got a chance to drive much at night.
But the day I installed them, I left them on for about 20 minutes and only the heat dissipating metal things on the back felt just a bit warm.

I'll drive with the lights on tomorrow during the day to test them.

There are several LEDs that don't have a driver (well, don't have that separate box/ballast, they're integrated). Can you please post pictures of how they look at night and during the day on your Rav?
And a link to where you got them?

·
Registered
342 Posts
There are several LEDs that don't have a driver.
There is no such thing as a LED without a driver. It might be integrated into the lamp, or it might be in a separate box, but it's there either way, and it will create some amount of heat.

I'd want the driver to be separate, as it is difficult to wick away heat from the bulb as it is. The wick might be cool to the touch, but that doesn't tell you anything about the actual temperature of the LED junction.

Most LED junctions are rated at 160F-190F. I can't imagine how it would stay in that range without active cooling. Especially in the summer under hood temperatures.

4000LM each Bulb,30W
No way. That's mis-advetising. They are at most about 10-12W and probably around 1000-1200 lumens. You won't ever dissipate 30W of heat with that wick.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
There is no such thing as a LED without a driver. It might be integrated into the lamp, or it might be in a separate box, but it's there either way, and it will create some amount of heat.

I'd want the driver to be separate, as it is difficult to wick away heat from the bulb as it is. The wick might be cool to the touch, but that doesn't tell you anything about the actual temperature of the LED junction.

Most LED junctions are rated at 160F-190F. I can't imagine how it would stay in that range without active cooling. Especially in the summer under hood temperatures.

No way. That's mis-advetising. They are at most about 10-12W and probably around 1000-1200 lumens. You won't ever dissipate 30W of heat with that wick.
You're right, the driver is integrated in some, that's what I meant, and also edited my post.

I'm not an expert in electrical stuff nor an electrician, and I don't sell the LEDs, so if the LED sellers are misleading, that's not my fault.
There are actually LEDs that supposedly are 45W and 5000 lumens.
Several people in these forums have them and use them in their vehicles.
I didn't get a set of those because the cheapest I found was $99, they normally go higher.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Don't know yet, haven't got a chance to drive much at night.
But the day I installed them, I left them on for about 20 minutes and only the heat dissipating metal things on the back felt just a bit warm.

I'll drive with the lights on tomorrow during the day to test them.

There are several LEDs that don't have a driver (well, don't have that separate box/ballast, they're integrated). Can you please post pictures of how they look at night and during the day on your Rav?
And a link to where you got them?

This is what i have right now.
Auxbeam F-S2 Series 9005 LED Headlight Bulbs Conversion Kits

Attachments

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
This is what i have right now.
Auxbeam F-S2 Series 9005 LED Headlight Bulbs Conversion Kits
Ah, no separate driver, I see they are 4000 lumens each like mine, what's the color and wattage?

Do you have pictures of how they look at night?
Did you install the dust cover or decided not to?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Ah, no separate driver, I see they are 4000 lumens each like mine, what's the color and wattage?

Do you have pictures of how they look at night?
Did you install the dust cover or decided not to?

This is what the manufacturer claim.

Power: 72W/set(36W/bulb)
LED Quantity(each bulb): 2pcs* Bridgelux COB chips
Luminous Flux: 8000lm/set(4000lm/bulb)
Color Temperature: Pure White 6500K

I did install the dust cover and have used it for over an hour and a half without issues.

Attachments

·
Registered
449 Posts
Look really good.
Have you try it at night at distance? Read that Leds don't throw light as far as halogens even in a projector housing.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Look really good.
Have you try it at night at distance? Read that Leds don't throw light as far as halogens even in a projector housing.
That's exactly what I was thinking too, was debating between led's or HID's so I opted for HID's so far great.

1 - 20 of 288 Posts