Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a 2017 rav4 hybrid limited. The sun reflects terribly off the metallic looking trim piece above the Nav screen. I'm thinking of painting it but need to know how to remove it. Can anyone help? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
The entire dash is reflective. Get a dash mat that covers that bit. Not all of them do. I use a Coverking "molded carpet" model that covers it. Be aware that Coverking charges you 25% if you send one back.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies. I only find that silver trim piece to be a problem. I will have it painted flat black and hope that will do the trick.
BTW, I was talking to a fellow who owns an automobile collision repair shop and he said that Toyota is changing that reflective dash trim piece starting in the 2018 RAV4. We shall see!!
Thanks again!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Vinyl Wrap

My suggestion is to vinyl wrap it. I did Brushed Steel vinyl wrap on, the center console, window/door lock panel and door handle panel for a more interesting appeal without doing permanent or destructive mods to the original part. TIP for vinyl wrap ~ don't buy the thicker 3D, 4D, 5D or 6D carbon fiber for small parts. They are too thick to have clean corner wraps and potentially peel back at the corners. I wrapped with the Black Brushed Metallic Steel. It was easy to wrap, thin and seems to be sticking nicely. There are a few color options too (Black, Gun Metal Gray, silver). I opted for Black. Here are some samples of mine.

Attachments

·
Registered
42 Posts
No prob! Just keep in mind of the tips I provided about the type of vinyl to use. And take your time... it'll save you from having to peel it off and reapply again.

·
Registered
8,536 Posts
My suggestion is to vinyl wrap it. I did Brushed Steel vinyl wrap on, the center console, window/door lock panel and door handle panel for a more interesting appeal without doing permanent or destructive mods to the original part. TIP for vinyl wrap ~ don't buy the thicker 3D, 4D, 5D or 6D carbon fiber for small parts. They are too thick to have clean corner wraps and potentially peel back at the corners. I wrapped with the Black Brushed Metallic Steel. It was easy to wrap, thin and seems to be sticking nicely. There are a few color options too (Black, Gun Metal Gray, silver). I opted for Black. Here are some samples of mine.
Great job and tips - looks thoroughly professional. No one could do it better.

·
Registered
6 Posts
In reply to your question; it just pulls straight off. Painted mine black, but still had some reflections. recommend vinyl or rubber dip.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Plastidip may be the way to go if you're not much of a DIY person. Matte black or gray should help reduce glare. Vinyl wrapping is a little more involved and more time and patience. There are lots of videos on youtube with tips to dip or wrap.

The plastic trim pieces are just held in with clips. Pulling them directly away (towards rear of car) will release them. Start at the outside, near the doors, and work/pry your way inwards, one clip at a time. And obviously, snap them back when done. Again, youtube is a great source fpr this too. I found lots on stereo removal for RAV4 amd in those, they remove the trim pieces. Good luck and keep us updated on your mod.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I had the 2 pieces painted flat black. So much better than before!!
I was surprised how easy the pieces were to pop off and put back on.
Thanks all for the help.:thumbs_up:

·
Registered
42 Posts
Vinyl wraps are available just about anywhere. I've relied in Amazon as my first choice because you get a piece mind and Prime shipping. Be aware that not all vinyl wraps are creates equal. Read my response above. But it's a great way to achieve a custom personalized look without damaging original parts.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I got the carbon fiber wrap at Fleet Farm in the Twin Cities, but I'm sure any auto supply store such as Pep Boys, AutoZone, etc. would have it. The brand name I used is Sharpline Converting in Wichita, KS. Just Google "vinyl wrap" or "car vinyl wrap".

·
Registered
48 Posts
Here's what I did using a carbon fiber vinyl wrap. Piece of cake and less than $10.00!
Nick looking mod. I would do it when I have a gut to remove the trim myself :Dmay wait until the 1st anniversary of mine 0:)

·
Registered
42 Posts
I posted that question in another thread, to see if anyone attempted to remove the emblem from the steering wheel to paint or plastidip. I want to plastidip but not inside the car. Overspray or wrapping plastic for overspray is a bit too much work. Maybe in the future, if the emblem continues to bother me. Hope someone will have success with it and share how.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts