Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having an issue with the glove box on my 2013 RAV4 XLE. I know how to remove the box. But the issue is that it will not open unless I pry it open with a screwdriver. The pins on the side do not open far enough to allow the box to open. Is there some way I can take the box apart so I can adjust it so it will open? Thanks to anyone who can help with this issue.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I think the problem might be that the door for the cabin air filter has come loose and is wedged behind the box preventing it from opening. This has happened a couple of times with my wife's '09 when something in her really stuffed box falls behind the box, gets wedged on the cabin air filter door and pops it off when she tries to close the box. It has also happened to me when a mechanic checked the cabin air filter and didn't secure the door properly.

Try reaching back under and behind the box to see if you feel something behind the box and pull it out. I've always found a map or something there. The lower hinges snap together and are easy to separate. Good luck.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I'm having the same issue on my 2013 Rav4 Limited. Took it in for oil change and was told they could not check the cabin filter because the glovebox was locked. I told them there is NO LOCK on it, so he just shrugged his shoulders and said he didn't know why they said that and didn't offer to check it. When I got home I had to pry it open with a screwdriver. I will check out the door on the cabin air filter.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My RAV4 is a certified vehicle. I'm in the process of checking to see if this is covered under warranty. Will let you know what I find out.

·
Registered
41 Posts
So now the situation with the glove box is...the handle came off/broke off! I went back to Toyota and they have to order a complete glove box. I told the service mgr that they said it was locked yesterday when I brought it in for service, but I think they forced it and that is what broke the handle. There was nothing jammed, no loose cabin filter door causing the problem. So we shall see what happens...we were thinking of trading for a new Tacoma, but they still don't come with power seats! We looked at a Chevy Colorado and really were impressed with all the features it has, especially power seats for both passenger and driver! The Rav4 is our 6th Toyota, but it may be our last one...

·
Premium Member
2,505 Posts
I'm having the same issue on my 2013 Rav4 Limited. Took it in for oil change and was told they could not check the cabin filter because the glovebox was locked.
Well, that sounded an alarm for me. I did not know they checked the cabin filter. The glovebox key is part of my fob, and the glovebox is where I keep my traveling cash. Gotta find a new place for it.

·
Registered
41 Posts
My point was on the 2013 Rav4, there is NO lock on the glovebox! So if you have a locking glovebox, and your cabin filter is behind it, you may want to put your cash elsewhere. But then, I don't think you have a 2013 Rav4 if your glovebox locks...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just checked with the warranty people on my 2013. They said the glove box is not covered under the Certified Used Vehicle program and the new car warranty expired last November. So I'm back to the proverbial drawing board!

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
So now the situation with the glove box is...the handle came off/broke off! I went back to Toyota and they have to order a complete glove box. I told the service mgr that they said it was locked yesterday when I brought it in for service, but I think they forced it and that is what broke the handle. There was nothing jammed, no loose cabin filter door causing the problem. So we shall see what happens...we were thinking of trading for a new Tacoma, but they still don't come with power seats! We looked at a Chevy Colorado and really were impressed with all the features it has, especially power seats for both passenger and driver! The Rav4 is our 6th Toyota, but it may be our last one...
You can check your local salvage yards for a glove box or try this website. Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
At my very last Toyota service they broke one of the clips/hinges(?) on my glove box when they went to check the cabin filter - they forced the thing back into place (I found out after I got home). Stupid thing is I told the service writer I didn't need a new filter before he took the vehicle because I had just changed it.

No more Toyota service!

·
Registered
81 Posts
I personally think the glovebox is designed improperly. I too had/have issue with box sticking.
Root cause: If you pop the handle off the glovebox, on the backside of the handle is a poorly reinforced moulded plastic nub which tends to warp/bend because it's not properly reinforced. More likely to bend in heat - and once it's bent, pushing it back if of little use. This nub helps to open the glovebox locking mechanism by turning/pushing the locking mechanism down. When the nub is bend, the locking mechanism doesn't fully turn so won't unlock.

Given what I'm hearing here, a new glovebox door? Hell with that.

·
Registered
41 Posts
You are exactly right with what had happened. You cannot just replace the door or the latch, so the service manager at Cobb County Toyota ordered a new glove box assembly, which came in a two days and they replaced it, no charge. Yes, it isn't well-designed and once that nub is bent, it is not going to work well, if it works at all. I'm glad they were nice enough to accept responsibility for the problem.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts