Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
)Hi

I started this post because I would like to hear some stories that they had with their Rav4's. Share'em here :wink:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

One of my good memories is when I was racing stock Mitsubishi Lancer on SNOW!!!!!!!
I ended up pulling him out of dich and pulling all the way to the nearest gas station. (God I love 4WD :wink: :D :wink: :D )

T

·
0 Posts
the only thing that stands out in my mind was when I was late getting a DVD back to the video store, I drove like a madman into the packed out car park jumped out of my Rav ran to the counter
ran back out ,dived into my Rav ....only to discover I had got into the wrong one! :shock: ,
god how embarassing, my poor baby was the next one over......

·
Registered
80 Posts
One beautiful and sunny day , my son and I decided to wash and wax the rav. We took our time and got it shining so bright and lovely. Two minutes later as I'm wiping off the last of the wax, my son looks in the sky and says "Mama , look at all the birds!". A flock of ceder waxwings decided that the trees above where I park my baby was their new home. There must have been 200+ birds. When they flew overhead there was a literal shower of bird droppings! I watched my beautiful red rav4 turn white :cry: If I had a shotgun I would have been in jail for discharging a firearm in city limits. Thank god they only stayed for 3 days. Any longer and I would have been in the loony bin for sure. :cry:

·
Registered
422 Posts
I saw this thread a few days ago, but was in Indianapolis for the Star Wars con (officially known as Celebration III) and quite frankly was too exhausted to post. Lot of folks there. Sheesh. Nice drive though.

So anyway, for the current Rav I'd have to say the excitement of Amtrak-ing to Boston, checking in the hotel, and racing over to the dealer to get there before they closed to pick her up. The sales guy I had dealt with by phone took me downstairs (no land and therefore no lot in the middle of Boston, just a huge basement) and introduced me to my Rav for the first time. We then went to an Asian market across the street while the dealer put on my plates and readied the Rav for delivery. The dealer told us to check out the meat department for a bit of amusement. Wow, amazing and scary things there!!! Then we had NO idea how to get back to the hotel, so the sales guy drove us to the hotel, then back to the dealership, and I managed to get us back to the hotel. For the next couple of days the only way I was able to touch the Rav was in the parking ramp (driving in Boston is INSANE...if I lived there I wouldn't own a car because EVERY car we saw was damaged in some way). I drove her around a bit on the roof of the ramp and took a ton of pics. Then there was the drive home, which was a real drag but would've been fantastic if I had had the luxury of doing it over the course of two days instead of all in one. I remember Massachusetts and New York along I-90 as being stunningly beautiful. A toll booth guy in New York saw me coming and said at first he thought it was his wife as her Rav was almost identical. We talked for a few seconds about it before I decided I'd better stop holding up traffic. :wink: We took pics in the driveway in the middle of the night with the 4.2 Rav and the 4.1 Rav together as soon as we got home.

For the 4.1 Rav the main thing was lots of trips to Chicago because she was the IDEAL vehicle for crazy Chicago traffic. Chicago traffic usually moves at a crawl and is totally bumper-to-bumper. It is virtually impossible to change lanes in Chicago...unless you're driving a 4.1 2-door Rav! :twisted: We went there quite a bit and I was very skilled at getting where we needed to go safely and with little stress. One time in particular Ricky and I and three (very small thank goodness) friends of ours were going to Field Museum in the Rav. I had to get into the far left lane of the then recently re-routed Lakeshore Drive in order to turn left onto the street running along the south side of the Field, but then into the far right lane of that street to get into the parking lot. No one in the Rav thought we were ever going to make it (except me). With the tiny Rav I was able to ease my way all the way over both times with relative ease and one of our friends in the back said "That kicks a**!"

Becky

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hey everyone thanx fo rthe great responses

Tanya- something like that happend to me two last winter. I parked my Rav right next to the exactly same Rav when I went to movie theater. Well the snow fell while i was at the movie. I walked out and saw that my rav was covered with snow. I started removing all the snow from windows and when I was done I pressed the unlock button just to find out that I unsnowed the wrong car :shock: !!!!

RAVBABY-wow. That really is a horrible thing. I would most likely try to climb up the tree and spray the birds with waterhose.

Becky J.- I know how much driving around Chicago downtown sucks especially during rush hours. I live very close to Chicago and sometimes I have to drive there to drop off something for my mom, just because my dad is lazy and I'm only 18 (thats his excuse).

·
Registered
542 Posts
hmmmm, had some interesting "encounters" in my rav... but sorry, no details!!! found out that 3 door rav's are for short people only!!

another interesting thing is the number of people who have offered to buy it from me.. but i could never bring myself to part with it.... :D

i took it hunting once and was amazed where the thing would go.. through mud up to the doors, over rice terrace steps, up a hill it would be hard to climb on foot!!!! got totally lost though and needed my gps to find my way out..

just normal rav4 stuff, i suppose!!!

M

·
0 Posts
Here is a story that put a smile on my face :)

Was in the desert one night screwing around with a friend when we saw this hummer trying to make it up this one dune. Well, it couldent because of its huge weight. Anyway, as he reversed to the bottom of the hill, i stuck her in first and rev'ed the engine. Boom, flew up to the top of this dune + 2 seconds of air time. Landed the rav4 and went back to the hummer. So he gets out and is like "hey man, what car is that" im like "its a toyota rav4" and hes like "how much did you get it for" and im like " 13K US$" and he smacks his head and turns to his hummer "so much for a desert car".....

:)

13K can buy you happiness, and a big smile on your face.

·
Registered
286 Posts
1. when I was decided to install the steeringwheel, the same day I go to PEPBOYS and bought it. I go to my home and uninstall the OEM steeringwheel, when I try to install the new strwheel, I notice that I need a conector :cry: . after this I install the oem strwheel to go to pepboys again to buy all I need and before I bougth that, the seller said me that it don't going to fit on the rav, I said tha it don't care :twisted: and he said "NO, don't buy it". I bought all the adapters and I install all of this in the pepboys parking and I entered and call the seller to saw that I did it. after all of this I go to my home, and in the way to home the adapter(that hold the strwheel) theet slipped and the steeringwheel desconected. I stop in the highway and uninstall all tha strwheel and adapters, install it again.after this, it don't give me more problems.

2. when I was driving out salinas speed way, my friend ahve a 5.0 mustang and he drive very fast and I decided to run back of him and when I shift to 3rd gear, the clip that hold the hood move a bit and the hood was opened and the eyelids was flying, I stop the rav in the middle of the street and block all the street :oops: , my one of my best frien run to caught the eyelids, In the middle of the street, I open the hood completely and put the holy eyeslids,I close it and start to drive very slowly to home :roll:

S

·
0 Posts
So my roome needed to find this tiny lake in the hills surronding Marquette, MI. I mean this thing is small, it took us three different maps to finally find it. We had to go to the local sports dealer and go through all the maps to finally find it.
Anywho, we couldn't find a road that connected to it. We took my Rav since he drives a taraus (stupid detroit driver). I start off on a bunch of dirt roads, pullin every move I can think of (what can I say, rally boy). :twisted: I think my roomie was alil scared when i drifted a couple of the corners :twisted: After that I am taking prolly every two track, logging road, and hiking trail I could find. I ended up rock crawling up a bunch of boulders.
After realizing there was no way to get to the lake without proper GPS coordinates, and going on private land, (he was pre-law, so he is a lil strict about trespassing), we decided to go back in. There was a huge puddle in the road, I thought it was only like a foot deep. Nope. Went through at a decent speed (so that didn't help), and the thing had to be like 3 feet + deep.
Needless to say, my engine stopped responding and runnig rough. I turned it off, tried to start it again, and it wouldn't start. :shock:
Luckily it started 5 mins. later. 8)
Later on I talked to my bud who is in the 4x4 club here, and apparently some of their trucks have troubles there, oh well.

Another was i was delivering food to a house, and I thought what I turned on was just a thin driveway....nope, golfcart path! I was drove across this really thin bridge goin "how the heck do they get their h2 over this?" It all made sense when I realized it was a golf cart path.

Other than that, well.....people hat me in the winter cause I LOVE to play on ice :twisted: :twisted: It hink my longest is going sideways for about a 2 blocks.

Hey Becky J, don't know why u say everyone in Boston was damaged. I was just there a couple of weeks ago, and there were some pretty nice cars rollin around. In the asisan district (I assume near where u picked up your Rav, there was even an extremely beautiful rx8 parked. mmmm.....custom blue with body kit, head lights, tails, wing, and cf hood...........mmmmmmmm.............

·
Registered
422 Posts
SZRimaging said:
Hey Becky J, don't know why u say everyone in Boston was damaged. I was just there a couple of weeks ago, and there were some pretty nice cars rollin around. In the asisan district (I assume near where u picked up your RAV, there was even an extremely beautiful rx8 parked. mmmm.....custom blue with body kit, head lights, tails, wing, and cf hood...........mmmmmmmm.............
We were for the most part limited to the downtown/historic area of Boston. Basically on the three full days we were there the hotel shuttle dropped us off at one of their drop points (usually either Faneuil Hall/Quincy Market or over by the Aquarium) and we spent the rest of each day walking ALL over downtown Boston (the entire Freedom Trail etc. etc. etc.). The streets there are just so incredibly narrow and crowded that we saw very few cars that didn't have some kind of ding or rub mark.

I'm not even sure what kind of neighborhood the dealer was in because I never saw it in daylight! LOL! I got there about 8 p.m. I know it's on Brighton Avenue not far from Cambridge Street, but that's about it. :)

Becky

·
Registered
396 Posts
Well, I had a memorable experience just this past weekend that started out bad. I've been on a waiting list to buy a new home down in the Central Valley in California. They release like 5 homes per month to be built and I was probably number 15 by now. Started at 50 a few months back. Anyways, decided to give the agent down there a call to see my status. Well, he said I was still a few people back but a house did become available since the previous buyer had defaulted on his loan. Well, of course, he tells me that it's first come first served and that he was gonna call 3 more qualified buyers. Needless to say, I raced down there in my Rav as fast as I could. From San Jose down to Visalia is at least a good 3 hours. And I'm usually the type to drive at the speed limit especially on long drives. I just set the cruise control at 65-70 and just go. Not this time. I went for the most part at an average of 85-95 mph to get there. Even the high hills and curves of Pacheco pass didn't slow me down. Well, after 2 1/2 hours of driving,(Yes, I know I was speeding recklessly) I made it to the model home and someone just beat me to the keys of the home by five minutes!!!!!! :x :x :x I was kinda ticked off. Took me a few hours to get there and this guy who lives in Fresno, barely 20-30 minutes away, beats me by five minutes. Man, if I lived closer, I would've been there in five but I had to be beat by a guy who took his time to get there. Well, I talked to the agent before the would be buyer came back from his tour of the home and after he left after signing the buyer's contract. The agent at the model home felt really bad that I travelled so far only to turn back and drive another 3 hours home empty handed that he gave me the pick of the next five homes available for sale in June. :D :D :D Of course, I felt a huge sigh of relief. I went home cruising the speed limit with a big smile on my face. Now I can wrap a garage around my Rav and a real home around my wife. :wink:

T

·
0 Posts
BEST MEMORY----

Racing a civic si hatch, hooked up, and beating it by like 2 cars.... we both pull over and start talkin he was in shock my rav ran 14.7 at the track!!!!

other memories----

running an acura RSX and destroyin it on video!!! after he talked all that crap about my rav! some of u saw that video... :)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Ok, here my reply........

When we where on our tour to Croatie, I passby a Volkswagen Golf.
At the speed of 185 km/h and climbing. I told my wife : hmmm 4400 r/m is great but, look at that Golf. We went on, and never saw that VW again. Great and thrill at that moment.
Above 4400 r/m the RAV4 will go on and on.

I don't love that speed but it happend at that time (2004)

PS hope i spell it all out right?

T

·
0 Posts
i parked at LAX (LA international air port) and was on my way back to my car... and this other lady that was walking by me start walking towards my car... i was like ???? but she's hot so I just kinda let her do what ever she's got to do.... she start looking at the scratch mark on the back (left bumper) of my car.... and start touchig it... like "OMG WHO DID THIS" ... while I was really confused I thought she has fall in love with my love... (as if who a heck would do things like this) she realized it's not her car.... lol... kinda sux that I WAS THE ONE WHO GOT THE SCRATCH MARK... but lol I should of went up and talk to her haha.

·
Registered
80 Posts
When I first bought my Rav4 I saw the large white lights on the bumper and thought " Oooh , fog lights!". I looked in the owners manuel for the fog light switch and when I compared the drawing , I thought "Man they forgot to put the switch on! How could they do that?" Then lo and behold one day I was behind an Suv with a shiny rear with my blinkers on and saw that what I thought was fog lights was actually blinker lights! Boy did I feel stupid :roll: I'm just glad I did'nt go back to the dealer and ask where the fog light switch was!

T

·
0 Posts
OMG RAVBABY thats so funny!....
not that I have done that before..but I always have to make a concientious effort to make sure that I dont hit the 'hazard light' button when I go to turn on the rear window heater as both buttons look the same! :wink:

·
Registered
422 Posts
Went to an air show (Blue Angels etc.) in Janesville, WI this weekend, and while in the very long line to enter the parking lot a woman who was a passenger in the car next to me started gesturing like crazy for me to roll down my window. When I did she asked "How do you like your car?" I told her "I love it, it's great!" She said she was looking at getting one, that's why she asked. Then the lines started moving again and I didn't get to tell her anything else!

One of the pics I took :D :

Do you think I should have my Rav painted to match the planes? :lol:

Becky

·
Registered
422 Posts
Thanks Tanya! :D

Hang in there on the U2 thing (from an old thread on the R4Oz board) BTW...there's still rumors that they're gonna continue their tour and do Oz and some other places in late December/January.

Becky

T

·
0 Posts
..yeah I had heard that as well Becky...I just hope that U2
do in fact, come down this way..because I am sooo there! :D

1 - 20 of 24 Posts