Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have decided to wait for the 2007 specs to be released for both the Rav4 and the Honda CR-V. I have been trying to buy a Rav4 4x4 V6 for 3 months first a sport (Couldn't get side curtain airbags and JBL audio in NY), then a limited (couldn't get pacific blue, Leather or JBL audio). A willing customer should not be told how to spend 30 Grand and I won't settle for less than what I want. Toyota leaves a lot of money on the table with their strategy. I won't encourage them trying to pigeon hole me. So I will wait and for now Toyota loses. :twisted:

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
That is sad to hear Boomer, and I'm sure there are many here who feel the same way. Toyota may have designed the vehicle right, but their marketing strategy with this redesign makes you wonder.
Best of luck finding your dream machine! :wall

OC

·
Registered
122 Posts
if you are willing to fly/drive down to FL.. you will be able to get the spec you want... check the quote from other member below

"check www.buyatoyota.com/ enter zip code 33403 for dealer than hit on RAV4 and its shows whats aval in this area. "

i found a V6 limited with the color and spec you wanted

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's not that I'm not willing to drive or travel to get what I want. It's a matter of principle. If I went to Honda and ordered an EX "anything"...I wouldn't have to add things like side curtain airbags and JBL audio and then hope I can get it. The customer is always right. If I decided that I can afford it and I want it than I should have it. I shouldn't have to get on a plane to get it. Why should I have to inconvenience myself to give Toyota my money. That just doesnt sit well. It shouldn't be this difficult. I like the Rav4 and I don't like what else is currently available. So I will wait for more options to choose from. The 2007 CR-V, Rav4 and CX7 are all coming within 6 months. I sure that if Toyota decides they dont want me as a customer...the others wont turn me down.

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
I think Toyota is the only company that do this, the regional option packages I mean. Does anyone know what is the reason behind this? BTW, the JBL system and the leather seats shouldn't be a deal breakers, they can both be install thru aftermarket.

·
Registered
652 Posts
IMHO I think it's a lot of excitement and dramatics over nothing. Spec the thing at toyota's website and send via email for quotes. There not gonna pull a trailer up in front of your house.

Supply and demand for the new RAV4............ join the club for those who had to wait for what they wanted.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Janos said:
IMHO I think it's a lot of excitement and dramatics over nothing. Spec the thing at toyota's website and send via email for quotes. There not gonna pull a trailer up in front of your house.

Supply and demand for the new RAV4............ join the club for those who had to wait for what they wanted.
Spoken as someone who got what they wanted...Just so you know it's not a matter of waiting. What I want I cant have and I wont settle. I dont know what supply and demand has to do with that.

·
Registered
652 Posts
I did get what I wanted but it didn't happen overnight (fully loaded). Have you contacted all area dealers? Have you submitted requests via the Internet?

We are both in the Northeast and I haven't seen a limited yet that didn't have JBL. Sorry Chief, I would like to hear the dealers side of your story. Frankly your story is unbeliveable. If it is true, I've offered a solution or you need to find a different dealer.

Kristi from Basil............... any thoughts?

·
Registered
271 Posts
It's not Toyota not getting the right product to you but it's your regional distribution that failed you. Contact Toyota customer service, they may be able to give you some advice. Don't see any reason why you could not order your vehicle but I just take a little more time.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Kristi at Basil has my Limited on order. Leather, side curtain, JBL. You're talking to the wrong dealers if they say you can't get these options in NY.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I must have been VERY lucky. I got what I wanted, when I wanted it and my saleman gave me a grand rite off the top (yea, it's an I4 Limited loaded but that's all I wanted anyway. Either I or a member of my family have bought 4 other Toyotas off this guy and I guess it helps that he is the executive sales manager :roll: Took me all of 15 minutes to close thge deal and I get it this week) Still I agree, one should not have to to wait like that. I spent 15 years in Japan and they have a saying there: "O kyaku-san no kami-sama desu", "the customer is God". Maybe that's something we should learn here in the States...... :!: Good luck on your quest..... :D

·
Registered
88 Posts
problem is that these are built in japan and its hard to change the options. you can wait till they start to be built in canada and changing and customizing should become easier. personally i would prefer to get a japan built rav4.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I run a price comparison site, so I'm pretty well acquainted with what manufacturers offer. Toyota's strategy of offering a moderately broad array of options but only offering a few combinations of options in each region is unique.

With many models, especially recently introduced ones, they seem to make things even more confusing by not even shipping all combinations continuously. Instead, they ship just two or three combinations for a little while, then switch to two or three others. I've come across many people frustrated by this system.

Unfortunately, my site displays all combinations available anywhere in the country. The system as it stands is too hard to keep straight.

The alternative would probably be to offer fewer combinations on a national basis, like Honda does. It's hard to say if this would be better, as every combination would be available everywhere, but there would be fewer of them.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Problem is that rav4 is in heavy demand so options that are ordered less are probably already sold out. Toyota already builds 15k Rav4's for USA per month, so they wont be able to improve that.

Another thing is that regional tries to anticipate customer demand, so they order unique product mixes. In your region it might not work great for you. They respond to demand, however Toyota plans production 3 months ahead of build time, so considering how recently was V6 introduced...

I do agree you are way too dramatic. Rav4 V6 was only recently introduced (2 months) and whole lineup is in huge demand. If you are not willing to do a bit of work to find one that you want, then sorry, someone else will... Situation will improve in few months..

·
Registered
98 Posts
I understand the "sour grape" attitude. I almost got there myself. I waited 9 weeks after placing a deposit.

Toyota accessories come in package groups. I didn't really want leather but I did want heated seats. It's the nature of the beast. Honda does the same thing it's just that their option packages are called models. Try to buy a CRV EX without leather. You actually end up with less choices.

·
Registered
656 Posts
The new RAV4 6cyl has got to be the hottest vehicle on the market these days. We were resigned to the fact that we were going to have to order one to get exactly what we were looking for when the dealer found one at the last minute for us. We were lucky.
I don't think Toyota expected this demand for the RAV4. Maybe they need to start building them over here in the US.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
TomT said:
Maybe they need to start building them over here in the US.
It has always been planned - a Toyota RAV4 line/plant is scheduled to open in Ontario, Canada in 2008.

New releases are always in high demand - wait a few months for all the other competitors to release their products and the distribution to improve.

The Mazda CX7 looks to be a great product if you can afford the price and don't mind the slightly more expensive mileage/fueling.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'm back and I'm am now one of you.

Purchased a Silver Limited Rav4 V6 4x4 with Leather, JBL, Sunroof, Daytime running lights, side curtain airbags, Tow Prep, prefered accessory package, rear bumer applique and mudguards.

I was checking the inventory of the dealership I selected and saw a model that closely reflected my desired options on the lot already. I called my salesman with the stock number and inquired about the availability (he really didn't have to do much). I was reserved for someone that changed their mind about the color. once I found it available i told him to reserve it and the rest was history.

He had told me that Toyota wasn't shipping them in fully loaded configuration anymore, but this one was on its way already. It was the only one they had and they are very scarce at other dealers in the area. I feel like I got the last one.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts