Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have to top off the coolant and I'm trying to decide which one to use.

I've been using Peak Global in my Toyotas for several years and have a supply on hand that's a few years old.

Has the formulation changed, or is the current Global the same as the old? And, is it still considered a good coolant to use?

·
Registered
8,537 Posts
Suggest that you use any coolant which meets Toyota's spec as in the Owner's Manual. Toyota's coolant has the advantage of having a prolonged service life.

·
Registered
286 Posts
You could also try getting the dealer to top it off if you're still in your warranty period. My reservoir was empty at 59,500 miles. I wanted it on record--I am unaccustomed to seeing that much coolant get "used"--so I asked the dealer to check for leaks and top it off.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
You got the dealer to check it a 57k! Did they charge you for that? What was the result when they checked

Presumably the dealer checked mine 3000 miles ago under warranty. Now I'm checking it and it's essentially empty at 27000 miles. But every fluid was honked up. The battery water was at the core. The brake fluid reservoir was almost empty. I added somewhere around a half gallon of water to the windshield washer -- never added more than a pint before. And the oil level was twice as high as the second bump on the stick (which I have to assume is full -- there are no words on the dipstick.) I normally check all fluids on my cars every 3 months (calm down eager beavers, I use cars I'm not in love with 'um) and I have never had any fluids more than 1/3 that far off except when there was a leak and even then I caught it before it was a problem.

Given all the fluid issues I concluded my assumption the dealer was checking them because they put a checkmark beside each of these items on the lists they handed me each time I took it in for service during the 24k warranty was an error. ASS-U-ME

Attachments

·
Registered
286 Posts
You got the dealer to check it a 57k! Did they charge you for that? What was the result when they checked?
The dealer said the coolant consumption was "normal", logged the check for leaks, and topped off the reservoir. No charge.

Goodness gracious--If you did a standard oil check and it's that high on the dipstick (full is the second bump up on the dipstick), your oil is waaay overfilled. I'd take it back and let them know they have a bozo working in the service department bay.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you did a standard oil check and it's that high on the dipstick (full is the second bump up on the dipstick), your oil is waaay overfilled. I'd take it back and let them know they have a bozo working in the service department bay.
Yes, I know it's way too high. I don't know what a standard oil check is but I simply pulled the stick out while the engine was cold -- before starting it in the morning after it had sat for about 14 hours. I discovered this situation during a routine fluid check the previous day and wanted to see if it repeated the next morning and it did, so I took the picture.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Yes, I know it's way too high. I don't know what a standard oil check is but I simply pulled the stick out while the engine was cold -- before starting it in the morning after it had sat for about 14 hours. I discovered this situation during a routine fluid check the previous day and wanted to see if it repeated the next morning and it did, so I took the picture.
Yes, that's what I was intimating. I didn't want to insult your intelligence by asking all kinds of silly questions about flat ground, cold engine, rest for 5 minutes, etc.

Please report back if you have the dealer drain some oil. I'd like to hear their excuse. I'm sometimes still surprised by how inept some technicians can be. I once had a tire store put my 100 lb-ft lug nuts on so tight that a 350 lb-ft impact driver couldn't get them off. I had to resort to nearly standing on a 2-ft breaker bar.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts