Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I'm new to this forum. I'm looking to get myself a Rav4. I have come across this one on the internet, do any of you think this is a good deal?

On craig's list:
004 Toyota RAV4 S 4WD, Auto, 19K Miles, Sunroof, Leather, Spoiler - $16490

http://boston.craigslist.org/car/144924198.html

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You'll notice that there is not a lot of activity on the 4.2 board now that the new 4.3 RAV's are out.

That 2004 RAV S looks like a good deal. I didn't know the S model could be had with leather though.

As for advice on the deal...check out edmunds.com or kbb.com to make your assessment of what it's worth. And, check if it has been wrecked.

You're really on your own...but I can tell you that model cost about $23-25K new.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Re: Good Deal on 04 RAV4?

rav4skyracer said:
Hey guys, I'm new to this forum. I'm looking to get myself a RAV4. I have come across this one on the internet, do any of you think this is a good deal?

On craig's list:

Hey,

Sorry. Looking at your description, the price looks agreeable, but not necessarily great. The thing that gets me is that I'm not quite sure some of the options you describe "go" together. Particularly -- and someone please correct me if I'm wrong -- I wasn't aware that you could get the S model (I have the 2005 S) with Leather and/or a sunroof except perhaps by special order.

Get the VIN and consult with your local dealer to see if he can pull the car up to tell if it was a special order or what, then check something like Carfax to see if it's been wrecked (though I don't find carfax particularly trustworthy myself).

Wayne

·
Registered
346 Posts

rav4skyracer said:
I have come across this one on the internet, do any of you think this is a good deal?

On craig's list:

Having done research a few months ago and settling on a new 2005 RAV4 (in blue...good color choice ;-})

I looked around my area in california and then widened my net considerably...a dealer car (probably not toyota certified though) with S, loaded with leather and an automatic and the miles it has. I would be lucky if I saw that anywhere for under 20,000$

It *seems* like a good deal to me. With prices on 2003+ used RAVs being so close to new, we ended up going with a 2005 brand new and only paid ~2,000 more than the typical going rate at the time. 16.5K is considerably below the figures I was seeing just 4 months ago. You might even be able to talk that number down a smidge. 8-}

With a deal that appears too good to be true, keep looking for the catch. Ask lots of questions about its history if you can and maybe have it examined by a 3rd party too...But sometimes a good deal is just a good deal. Hopefully you've been shopping long enough that you'll recognize the potential gems. The drivetrain should still have a decent amount of warranty to flush out some serious probs if there are any.

Maybe the market on the 4.2s are starting to cool and is suffering downward pressure from the new 4.3s?

HTH(in some way),
-Brian

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thx ppl for the reply. I"ll have to go check it out to see what's the deal.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

bloorav said:
Maybe the market on the 4.2s are starting to cool and is suffering downward pressure from the new 4.3s?
kbb.com says my 05 4.2 is still worth $22,630 and I paid $23,000 for it (after rebates and before tax). Woohoo!

·
Registered
214 Posts

JohnnyG said:
kbb.com says my 05 4.2 is still worth $22,630 and I paid $23,000 for it (after rebates and before tax). Woohoo!
Must be a different kbb.com.. They showed my 05 S with a trade-in value of something like 16,750 or so and I've only got 6000 miles on it.

Wayne

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Wayne said:
JohnnyG said:
Must be a different kbb.com.. They showed my 05 S with a trade-in value of something like 16,750 or so and I've only got 6000 miles on it.

Wayne
Never trade your vehicle. I was calculating private party value.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts