Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone.

last weekend i bought bosch 1200 diagnostic tool for $250. it was packed with features. but after using it for a day, i got disappointed with it as it depends which feature it can deploy to the car it was plug in. in other words. in my 4.4 xle only half of the listed features for that device was used to diagnose my car. i felt that i spent too much and only used half of it. but i was good in the sense that its able to suggest fixes for the engine trouble that it reads.

can anyone suggest a better reader, let say with enough feature, that doesn't cost a torso.

thank you in advance.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I have had great luck with the Torque app on my phone and an inexpensive Bluetooth OBD2 scanner. On my cars, truck and my son's car I have been able to quickly diagnose the issue, repair it and clear the codes. See this post I did about using the Bluetooth scanner and Torque app. There is a video included in the post:

UTB Blogs - Is your car broken?

By the way, the app is $4.99 (USD) and the BT scanner was about $10 (USD). At those prices, your risk is minimal.

·
Premium Member
7,970 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the first thing i did after unpacking that bosch 1200 was updating it. was surprised to see it was up to date (new model i guess). but yeah. wasn't worth 250 bucks. i got lucy to return it to orielley because the guy who sold me that said "yes" i can return it if i'm not satisfied with it. but store policy is no rturn/exchange for electronic product. thing is, when i was there looking at good devices, i was looking at a bosch 1100 for $89. i decided to go for the 1200 because of the features. but i was already hesistant to spend 250 for such device add to it that the assistant manager for that store gave me wrong info. he said it CAN ONLY READ codes but not delete. then i pointed out it saysa on the back that it can delete codes. at that point i already felt that none of them can really give me accurate info for those devices. :(

·
Registered
548 Posts
For a low-cost, generic/universal ODB/Engine diagnostic too, get an ELM327-type unit. They can be had with interfaces for USB, WiFi, Bluetooth. Lots of different software available for them.

For a Toyota/Lexus/Scion-specific ODB/Engine diagnostic tool, the MINI VCI is the one to get, and usually comes with a copy of TechStream.

·
Registered
120 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts