Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

Registered
2021 RAV4 Prime XSE
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone been gutsy enough to shift into either drive or reverse while going in the opposite direction more than just a tiny bit? What happens? I usually reserve these tests for rental cars. 馃槣 I know they make vehicles rather idiot proof these days, but I don鈥檛 think I want to use mine as a test subject.

Registered
2021 Rav4 Prime XSE
I did it by accident and nothing happened. It kept moving in the direction I was going until I lowered my speed to almost nothing then it switched.

Registered
2021 RAV4 Prime XSE
Discussion Starter #5
WHY would you want to do that??
I wouldn鈥檛 want to do that - that鈥檚 why I鈥檓 trying to get someone else to do it! LOL I figured it would be idiot-proof, and based on another post below, it is. My kids will (maybe) eventually drive this thing and I want it to survive the abuse they鈥檙e known to give my vehicles! 馃槣

Registered
2021 Rav4 Prime max trim
From page 259 of R4Prime Owner鈥檚 Manual;
鈻 Restraining sudden start (Drive- Start Control)
鈼 When the following unusual operation is performed, the hybrid system output may be restrained.
鈥 When the shift lever is shifted from R to D, D to R, N to R, P to D*, or P to R* (D includes S) with the accelerator pedal depressed, a warning message appears on the multi-information display and head-up display (if equipped). If a warning message is shown on the multi-information display, read the message and follow the instructions.

I don鈥檛 know what the highlighted part means. If there is minimal output does that mean that everything spins (freely?) to simulate neutral gear. This function is tied to having the accelerator pedal pressed. What happens if you take your foot off the accelerator pedal?

I always thought that Toyota hybrids and plug-ins just ignored, until appropriate speeds are obtained, the fatally bad shifter moves listed above. That is what db621766 observed.

Reactions: jmartin325

Registered
Or try what we used to call a neutral slam. Rev the engine to high RPMs while in neutral and then slam it into drive. Anyone want to try it?

Registered
2021 Rav4 Prime XSE
Lol I remember those days when a gear was bad on the transmission and you only had one way to go.

Registered
For those who think Rental Cars are a good buy:
1) Type "rental car abuse" into YouTube.

2)
Anyone been gutsy enough to shift into either drive or reverse while going in the opposite direction more than just a tiny bit? What happens? I usually reserve these tests for rental cars. 馃槣

Registered
2021 RAV4 Prime XSE
Discussion Starter #15
This video is entertaining - this guy slams a 5-speed manual transmission '94 Ford Ranger into reverse while going down the road at around 45-50 mph - several times. His reaction once he gets it is priceless! He says the Ranger is cooler than his Ferrari F-12 - calls it his favorite car ever. LOL!

Registered
2021 Prime XSE Premium
Anyone been gutsy enough to shift into either drive or reverse while going in the opposite direction more than just a tiny bit? What happens? I usually reserve these tests for rental cars. 馃槣 I know they make vehicles rather idiot proof these days, but I don鈥檛 think I want to use mine as a test subject.
There's a fine line between doing a Rockford Files power slide (a.k.a., J-turn) and something mechanically unnatural!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts