Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a surprise phone call a couple days ago from Toyota of Seattle saying my ordered RAV had arrived and now I finally have it in hand. It's great!! It an "L' titanium, 5 speed, with black leather interior and loaded with a ton of options. Very much worth the wait. I want to personally thank the dealership for doing the order for me in a friendly, no-hassle way. I'd definitely buy another car from them.

The question I now have is what do people think of the Karr Security alarm that they sell? I have keyless entry but didn't get the VIP security system. I ended up with a surprise $500 in the pocket because of not using their financing and so I decided to go for the Karr. But now I'm wondering if that was a stupid thing to do. It's not installed yet so I can probably get my money back if I don't do it. I'm not a paranoid person and I hate alarms that go off that nobody pays attention to! But a good basic alarm that works well probably isn't a bad thing to have. Anyone with any experience or opinions on the Karr system?

Thanks --

Kathy

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I don't know much about the Karr alarm system, but I will give you my 2 cents worth. I hate alarm systems, I think keyless entry is great, remote starting is cool too, alarm systems are just a pain in the rear.

The fact is, if someone wants your car or something in it they will get it no matter what alarm system you have. I have even heard that like house alarms, car alarms do not always attract the attention you want to your vehicle. By this, I mean that those looking for something to take look for the alarm to see what is worth taking, and everyone else just ignores them.

With that said, a car alarm can give piece of mind.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Agree, Actually the WHOLE PURPOSE of a car alarm is "A Piece of mind" ....
As yourself this ... DO YOU HATE IT when other peoples car alarm go off on the street ??
IF YES .... DO YOU EVEN PAY ANY attnetion to whats happening to that car ???
IF NO , You probally glad right when the moment it shuts up !! :)

Well ALl the car alarm are easy to disable. No matter what.
If I was a theif,

I can cut the alarm silent in matter of 10 sec or less.

1) BREAK IN (POP THE HOOD)
2) CUT either, THE SIREN WIRE or Just cut the battery "NEG" line. So everythine is diabled. Jack your stero or whtever and their gone.
3)If your gona steal the car, with Ignition killer, EVEN Easier.they can pull everything out under the dashboard, and Pull out the alarm "Brain" and they can start the car with how ever they start it ..screwdriver, or Spark some wires which is what I tried to do and its not hard at all....
Even if you have a 2 Way pager alarm. (which is what I have with Remote start) <--its great features!!

YOUR BEST BET....Get a ALarm that has a 2 way pager and INCASE someone tries to steal things...you WOULD KNOW IT YOURSELF !! Also Install LOJACK if you live in a area with High CAR ROBBERY RATE !!! is what I recommend !!
I have tooooooo many $$$$$ stuff on the car to even think about not an alarm
:D GOOD LUCK !!!

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
I agree that the car alarm is a deterrent and not as affective as an engine immobilizer.

However, I have heard in the past many times “if people want it they will get it.”

Well, Alarms: House/ Car/ etc..... have different result in different places and they are only one part of any security system.

Typical Layers of Security are:

+Parameter Visibility & Triggered lighting (hidden zones/lighting/visible area)
+Restricted Access (Bars/ dead bolts/ steel doors for a home)
+Triggered Alarms (All Doors/ All windows/ Interior)
+Alarmed Interior (Motion Detectors)

If you live in a house with a visible driveway (lighted even better) and Good Neighbors such as I do. Not only will they look out the window to see which alarm is going off but they will either phone me or come out of there homes. If it is my home of coarse I don’t have to worry as much with wireless 911 and if I am home they will find a big surprise. :lol: :lol:

Now getting back to the car. If you park your car everyday on some street downtown or outside an unguarded apartment complex then it is a different situation and not as effective.

When i installed my home system many years ago it was not mainly for theft but for peice of mind. People would laugh at me when they found out the money and effort i went through. But as the years gone buy and there houses / cars broken into / even one house when the power came on after 2003 blackout caught fire with $130,000 damage. :shock:

So don’t forget that story about the 3 little pigs :D

Cheers,

Walt

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ron8818 said:
YOUR BEST BET....Get a ALarm that has a 2 way pager and INCASE someone tries to steal things...you WOULD KNOW IT YOURSELF !!
Any suggestions on decent 2-way pager alarms? I've heard of Compustar and then I believe Viper and Command Start also have a model that has that feature. Any recommendations?

ron8818 said:
Also Install LOJACK if you live in a area with High CAR ROBBERY RATE !!! is what I recommend !!
What's LOJACK?!

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
KARR alarm system isn't very good especially for the price the dealer probably charges. Your best bet IMHO would be to get an aftermarket alarm that will do a lot more for a lot less. I was interested in remote starts and looked at the options they offered and they wanted $900 for the same/similar system at BB/CC had for $400/500. Viper and Audiovox both offer an extended range alarm/remote start/yadda yadda that has a nifty key fob that shows you the vehicle has started, the door is open, etc. Nice visual confirmation for those times when you go to a store and say, did I lock the door and you are walking back clicking the fob to confrim the lock. With the extended range and visual confirmation you don't need to do that.

Of course basic remote starts are much cheaper. Alarms I don't find useful. All they do is generally annoy your neighbors. Some insurance companies do give a discount tho (shrug)

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Since we are talking about alarms here, what do you guys think about the VIP RS3200 (with features like keyless entry, "point-of-entry monitoring, glass breakage detection and ignition switch monitoring" and engine inmobilizer)? This alarm was offered to me at the dealership. It's been two years now, and I have never heard it go off, and I have gotten scratches done unpurpose (many) and dents on my side doors (mostly on the trims and a couple on the paint :(). I kinda wanted my alarm to be more sensitive, but you guys are right, if I don't have that 2-way pager, I wouldn't even know if someone hit or did something to my car, but it'll really scare the crap out of them (at least it would to me :p).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts