Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to put down a deposit on my 06 V6 4x4 Sport Rav4 today. I put 500 bucks down, which should secure mine in the first shipment.

Here are the specifics:

JBL 6disc Premium Audio
Moonroof
Side curtain airbags
*Towing Prep package
Daytime Running Lights

MSRP = 28,310.00
Tax = 1,698.60
Title/Fees = 162.50
TOTAL = 30,171.10 (out the door!)

Now, a few things happened that sort of pissed me off. First of all, I had no idea id be negotiating FINAL price when I made the desposit. I thought I was just going to basically drop off a check and get my name put on a list. So I was ignorant there. Basically, I didnt negotiate any price, I just let him work the numbers, I signed and left the check. I made it VERY clear that I could get my money back and walk at any time.

The other thing that was anoying was that he said they basically CANNOT budge on the price, since its a new model. I just shrugged him off cause I know this is just BS. THEN, he said that the Sport ONLY comes with the Towing Prep package, among other details, as thats the only way they build them.

I was kind of taken back, cause I didnt have planned to make sure EVERY detail I wanted in the car was accounted for. So, I cant remember if we made sure it was 4x4 (but I know it was V6). So, i could see them pulling some crap at the end saying "Well, that price was for 4x2, not 4x4". They also put on the sheet (after I signed it I might add) "Approx" next to the MSRP. This anoyed me too, as that happened between the time I signed, and the time the Manager signed.

Frist, anyone think I CAN actually make them budge on the price. Secondly, any chance Im getting ripped with the whole "Towing prep comes in all builds" etc.

I definitely plan to goto a few other dealerships to get prices from all of them. I was just sideswiped today thinking I wasnt going to be trying to get best price, and wound up leaving with the "final price". Im sure I can call the guy and work out more numbers before anything is final.

Also, I plan on paying cash for the car.. so Im wondering if that helps in my negotiating (and this will be my 3rd new toyota purchased from that dealership).

Thanks!!

·
Registered
509 Posts
You may want to check with Costco, if you're a member. They may be able to get you a bit better price. They usually go through the fleet dealer, instead of the regular salesman. Their prices are usually prenegotiated. If you aren't going to have a trade-in, you should know the final price. You will still have to go to the dealer to get the price though.

·
Registered
509 Posts
How are the deals through AAA? I'm a member but didn't even think of that.

A friend of mine got $500 over invoice on the new 2006 Pilot. The 2005's were severely discounted since the '06's came out.

You may be able to get a better deal on your own, but I've gotten to the point where I don't want to spend too much of my own time haggling. The last car I bought took me about 6 hours from the time I walked into the dealership 'til the time I drove out. It was almost an hour after closing time when I was done.

Having never really considered a RAV4 before, the new 2006 really interests me. I'll probably be looking at one with the V6 in a few months. For the price, I may as well get one completely loaded.

The local dealership just got their first in this week. It's hard to tell when driving by, but I hope the V6 version rides a little bit higher than the 4cyl version.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Re: costco

postman said:
Can you really get a better Deal with Costco ? Not like the deals at AAA....
I know for a fact that Costco pricing for Hondas target somewhere around $500 over invoice (saw the list when I was still considering the Element). Costco invoice $ is identical to cars.com for both Hondas and Toyotas (and edmunds for toyotas). I have not seen Costco prices yet for Toyotas but I'm going into a Costco certified Toyota dealer (there's quite a few in SD!) and maybe I can get some numbers. Costco finally added the 2006 RAVs to their website so I expect the list has been updated.

Jason, I have not had any dealer willing to quote price on the V6. One guy tried to get me in with the $500 deposit story to "help me secure a V6" and I said I would be willing if his price was competitive (below MSRP) and a quote would be create. Never heard back from him. :wink:

·
Registered
509 Posts
Putt,

I guess the Costco thing sounds about right based on what my friend found too.

The only thing that is "secure" with the $500 is their sale!

They know that it won't be long until they've got a bunch on their lot and Toyota will be advertising "sale" APR's on financing, etc... What they're trying to do is add to the hype and let you have the first on your block.

You could just as easily tell them that the Nissan dealer has a bunch of brand new V6 Xterra's on their lot (the SUV of the year, by C&D I think) and tell him you're trying to give him an opportunity to keep you from impulse buying. Plus, the Xterra comes with a 6spd manual.

I used to be into playing their games, and I think I was pretty good. But these days I prefer to do all my research away from sales people, and only until I have to drive the car will I come face to face with them.

Plus, once they have the V6 in stock, you can test drive it and do what you want. Then when they put the pressure to buy on you, you can go back to the Costco thing. Normally that isn't handled through the average salesman. There are specific rules on how that works, and it usually goes through someone in their fleet department, or an appointed Costco salesperson.

Costco as a company won't let you get jacked around if their name is on the product. So take advantage of that when you have to.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Wouldn't you be able to go back to the dealership and ask to see the contract (all copies) because you weren't sure about a detail or two (make up any BS excuse) & then rip it up in front of him ??
Then tell him you want to start again from the begining and get solid answers to all of their shady details ??

That is , if you still want to deal with them .

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
71GS455 said:
The tow prep package is listed as an option for all three models on www.toyota.com:

http://toyota.com/RAV4/options.html
Yeah, I said the same thing. Unfortunately, (even I knew this) the cars only come in certain builds. So, for example, what is considered an option might ALWAYS come with the car. Its just how Toyota makes them.... Unless you specifically order and have a custom version built. Then you are looking at waiting like 4 months for the car. (and absolutely no deals basically)

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I went through COSTCO around the last week in DEC. The dealer did not have the COSTCO pricing yet and a COSTCO customer rep called me and negotiated between the dealer and myself. Results were that the COSTCO rep advised that the COSTCO pricing would not be available until late January. I was working for a 4cyl but guess same goes for V6. The Toyota dealer would not deal less than the MSRP but that was ten days ago. Maybe I will check again. COSTCO rep was real helpful and called back many times with updates etc. BUT since the COSTCO pricing had not been negotiated at that time with the dealer, no dice.

·
Registered
654 Posts
dogface325 said:
COSTCO rep was real helpful and called back many times with updates etc. BUT since the COSTCO pricing had not been negotiated at that time with the dealer, no dice.
I spoke with a Costco rep yesterday and the dealers in San Diego have them now. She did mention that it is up to the dealers whether or not to honor Costco pricing due to the supply demands. I have an appointment on Friday with a Costco certified dealer and he'll be going over the Costco pricing with me. I'll post what I find out.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
When back to the dealer today and the sales manager advised that he had COSTCO pricing for the 2006 RAV4. He opened up his "COSTCO" book and had a typed paper with his signature at the bottom. "His" Costco pricing was short and as follows:
Base & Sport: $750 below MSRP
Limited: $500 below MSRP

He said the Limited was less discounted because it was a more popular choice. Anyway I've never bought with COSTCO before but was expecting something a little more detailed and surely something that included discounts with the add on options etc. How do I know if he just didn't make this up out of thin air. I had heard from others that the COSTCO pricing was around $300-$500 "above" dealer invoice.

Can't help but think they are just trying to reel me in. I thought the COSTCO pricing would be a little more detailed.

The good news is they had 17 2006 RAV4s in inventory. 5 on site and 12 at an off-site lot. That should work good for price negotiations at some point.

Puttputt, let us know how your COSTCO experience come out Friday. I'm not making any moves yet since inventory is getting better and the V6's are just around the corner. I'm looking at the 4cyl model so the V6s coming out should work to my advantage, I would think. BUT.... I only have 17 more days on my pre-approved credit union financing. I got an ultra low rate of 4.24 percent for up to 60 months so I don't really want to to laps because if I reapply it could be higher the next time around..

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, personally Ive been crunching some numbers and doing some research online. Havent heard back from any other dealers yet, but I think where they put me was "exactly" at MRSP. I should at least be greateful for that (that they arent blatantly trying to rip me off). Im still going to try for 1000 off, which would put me "out the door" at 29,000 even. Edmunds.com True Market Value for the same spec'd vehicle is 27,000 flat.. not counting tax/title/financing etc. So I think my 29 even is being reasonable for both me and the dealer. (lets hope they agree!)

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Are you kidding paying that price ! Can I sell you something ? I just got a Pacific Blue Limited for Invoice + $300.00 last week. The discount was $2,249.00 off MSRP. And I hated to pay beyond invoice. And don't think the invoice price is what the dealers really pay (It's not) that's just what they want you to believe. Stop and think what idiot would sell you a $28,000 item and make $300.00.

·
Registered
509 Posts
dogface,

You may want to go the official route through Costco. The dealer could just be telling you those numbers to put some money in his pocket, especially if he's not the dealership's Costco salesperson (which means he wouldn't get that sale).

·
Registered
654 Posts
dogface325 said:
I had heard from others that the COSTCO pricing was around $300-$500 "above" dealer invoice...Puttputt, let us know how your COSTCO experience come out Friday.
The way I understand it, Costco is suppose to have a set pricing that certified Costco dealers should honor. What that pricing is varies across manufacturers but the exception is if demand is high for a particular vehicle. Then, as Costco told me, it's really up to the dealer whether or not to sell you a car at the Costco membership price.

I spoke with a Costco cert dealer I knew of right when the 4-cyl was released (not referred by Costco since Costco had not added the 2006 yet) and the Fleet Director gave me a "special" price of MSRP. I asked what was so special about it and he told me all his RAV4 06's were going at MSRP. He gave some BS about how other dealers in the area were jacking up above MSRP. And of course, me being a smart---, said I must be really lucky since the other 3 dealers I've spoken with so far are not doing that.

I agree with 71GS455's recommendation to go through the Costco auto referral program. If there is another dealer closer to your zip code who is cert, you might get referred to that one rather than the one you're dealing with. It's up to you but if you rather go through the current one, you should call Costco directly and they will refer you to the one you want. They will also verify if that dealership is certified.

BTW, when I finally did go through Costco, sure enough, they referred me to the "special" fleet director. I called Costco and asked them to refer me to another one that I knew of outside my zip code. They did.

I'll post on Friday of what I can find out.

·
Registered
654 Posts
D.P.G. said:
I just got a Pacific Blue Limited for Invoice + $300.00 last week. The discount was $2,249.00 off MSRP.
DPG, will you be willing to email the dealer's name and salesperson you dealt with? I'm interested in finding out if this dealer is willing to ship outside MA. I know of one dealer in LA area that has done that for a few customers in other states. Just curious. My email address is [email protected]

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
DPG, I hear what you are saying...

But, you did get the 4, which are "lying" around the lot lately. I dont think the dealers are going to have many 6's sitting around.. so they may not be so quick to budge on price, especially as low as 2k+ below MSRP.

Not that Im not going to try mind you, just defending the price I got so far.

UPDATE: Dealer called and said they are going to try to get the order in on the 18th for their 31st shipment. I found it hard to believe that I could have my 6 by the 31st.. but he seemed to think so. He said worst case, they mis their allocatement and place the order on the 31st, getting my 6 in mid/end Feb (which is fine).

Another dealer said they werent expecting the 6 "for a few months". Could have just been some lame line to try to get my into a 4 instead.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts