Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On the way to the Toyota dealer this morning to get the passenger seat swapped out I got to try the traction control. wow. weird..

I stopped on a patch of ice and floor boarded it from a stop. It was such an odd feeling with my foot to the floor and the engine bearly over idle.. It throttle back almost all the way back to idle, the Traction control light on the dash started flashing, and the 4 tires were clawing to get traction .. the truck moved out with out spinning at all. VERY impressed// modern technology :)

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Can the traction & stability control be shut off on the new RAV?

Obviously you'd want it on most of the time, but there are some fun things you can do in an AWD vehicle that probably aren't possible if the stability control is kicking in.

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Too bad if you can't turn it off. But it's true that some vehicles without an "off" switch do have a secret way to disable it. Maybe someone will discover this for the RAV eventually.

S

·
0 Posts
well, it is an electronic "awd" system. Disabling the traction control would disable the AWD. Whats the point of that then?

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
It's not quite that simple, because it depends on how Toyota designed the system. If the electronic nannies (traction & stability control) are so integrated with the AWD system that they can't be shut off that's one thing, but if they're not (which is more likely) then it's just a Toyota decision to not allow the driver that kind of control.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Exactly bmorton. I would find it fairly insane if for instance, the traction control system shut down due to some error, and you lost the 4wd systems as well. Imagine that happening at an ugly moment in the snow when you could use both systems but manage without one, yet be in trouble w/out both?!

One day, when I figure out how to reliably reproduce the triggering of the traction control system, then it can be tested if the Lexus method for disabling it would work.

S

·
0 Posts
bmorton said:
It's not quite that simple, because it depends on how Toyota designed the system. If the electronic nannies (traction & stability control) are so integrated with the AWD system that they can't be shut off that's one thing, but if they're not (which is more likely) then it's just a Toyota decision to not allow the driver that kind of control.
again, those "nanies" is how the whole system works. It is all integrated. For example, in Rav4 VSC+ works by being able to apply extra torque to any wheel, not just stop them.

In fact, Autobild tested 6 different sedans recently, with different AWD systems from AWD with torsen and "electronical nanies" to bare bones mechanical AWD in Subaru, without eletronics. They tested 10 different tests, such as slalom in snow, ice, rain, stopping under all conditions, etc, etc, and it turns out that Subaru's all mechanical system - which everyone thinks is the superior - was the worst. It had pretty much worst results in every test.

BMW's integrated system (similar to Rav4's) was up to par to Audi's AWD with torsen and esp.

Did anyone actually notice Rav4's vsc+ on normal roads? It seems to be tuned nicely. It got a lot better results in slalom tests that old Rav4.

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
I'll take your word for it, but that's an unfortunate implementation on Toyota's part. In other vehicles, having an electronic AWD system doesn't necessarily preclude being able to shut off stability control. I'm not sure you can shut VSC off on the 2004-05 RAV4 either, even though it uses a different AWD system.

To me that's the best of both worlds -- leave the nanny systems on for safety but be able to turn them off when you want to push the vehicle a bit. My Subaru has mechanical AWD only and there are times when I wish it had stability control and other times when I'm glad it doesn't.

·
Registered
6,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
can you post a link to this article? Its sounds like a good read..

spwolfx said:
bmorton said:
again, those "nanies" is how the whole system works. It is all integrated. For example, in RAV4 VSC+ works by being able to apply extra torque to any wheel, not just stop them.

In fact, Autobild tested 6 different sedans recently, with different AWD systems from AWD with torsen and "electronical nanies" to bare bones mechanical AWD in Subaru, without eletronics. They tested 10 different tests, such as slalom in snow, ice, rain, stopping under all conditions, etc, etc, and it turns out that Subaru's all mechanical system - which everyone thinks is the superior - was the worst. It had pretty much worst results in every test.

BMW's integrated system (similar to RAV4's) was up to par to Audi's AWD with torsen and esp.

Did anyone actually notice RAV4's vsc+ on normal roads? It seems to be tuned nicely. It got a lot better results in slalom tests that old RAV4.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts