Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a used 2015 limited privately and have been playing with all the shiny new toys. I see the GPS database is out of date by 2 years and that is important in my hometown of Calgary as there are many new areas. I understand that the dealers will update it but can I purchase the map SW myself and get a PC-based mapping program. I have been using Garmin before and they have a map program where you can add waypoints, routes etc then up load to their portable unit. Is there something similar for the built in GPS?

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
Just stick with Garmin, or better yet, Waze.
If the local editors are notified, Waze can get a new housing development mapped, addressed, and downloaded to the clients within days of a new development opening to the public.

I had three Garmin updates that never did include a "new" business development (major project) that had been complete for 2 years.

I'm looking at replacing my Tacoma with a Corolla, and the only reason I'm going to get the model with navigation is because the next level down does not have XM or HD radio.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I guess this is interesting but my question was regarding updating the map data on my 2015 Rav with the built in GPS. I have no desire to stick my Garmin Nuvi on the windscreen and have never heard of Waze. So thanks anyway but it doesn't help me
GW

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
I guess this is interesting but my question was regarding updating the map data on my 2015 Rav with the built in GPS. I have no desire to stick my Garmin Nuvi on the windscreen and have never heard of Waze. So thanks anyway but it doesn't help me
GW
Waze is a free app that you run on your smartphone.

The map update for your factory system is only available from the dealer for over $100 (I think it's closer to $150), and I seriously doubt that an update is available for the 2015 maps.

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
Seems like a bit of a rip as the Jepeson Database thru Garmin is around that for a lifetime
Yes and no.
I have a Kenwood head unit with Garmin nav built in and I can not get a lifetime map sub for it.

My Nuvi is free lifetime (as is Waze)

·
Registered
74 Posts
Hi Lundrat, did the updated map do any good?, I have a 2013 which maps are really old, there are a lot of Edmonton's neighborhoods not in there when they were already built by 2010. I always mentioned how bad was the Toyota installed maps when my discarded old phone have better maps even when 2-3 years older than the car.

BTW, how much they charged for the upgrade.

·
Registered
189 Posts
rule of thumb is, you go to your own toyota dealer where you got your rav4. talk to them about your navigation update, they dont usually charge you for this. if you're navi software is old and there's a new one, they are happy to do it for you without charge.

or tell them a white lie, problem on your navi screen that goes off intermittently. so, they might take a look at it and update
your navi software for free.

just be nice when you ask the service advisor, and you will be granted with good service too. :), based from my own experience. :)

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
It's not just Toyota.
I had gone through probably 3 Garmin updates and it never did pick up a major development in Santa Clarita (just north of Los Angeles, not out in the sticks) that had been there for 3 years.

Waze and Google are crowd-sourced, so they tend to be updated much more quickly, though sometimes accuracy is not 100%. Waze in particular may be working from Google aerial imagery that is 2 years old.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My dealer, where I did not buy my 2015, is great and located only a few klicks away. They are very focused on customer service as I found with my 2011, which i did not buy from them either.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts