Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Try the Garmin 320 if you are handy at loading drivers and content from the supplied CD's (you must have a PC not an Apple computer). Otherwise, get the Garmin 330, which comes with everything already preinstalled (but for about $100 more). Both units are very easy to use.

$440 for the 320; $550 for the 330 from GPSNOW.com

F

·
0 Posts
Guys,

pardon my st**** but for GPS, sold in the US or Cananda, they should be able to work all over the world right???

Thanks!

fatshark

·
Registered
43 Posts
it's a matter of getting the maps for where you want to use it. Right now, the US and Europe are the big markets where you'll get competitive pricing.

I use a PDA/GPS set-up myself. Much cheaper than the whole unit plus I still get the functionality of the PDA.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I'm using a Garmin GPSMAP 76CS unit. Water proof and portable. Wedges in nicely between the window and dash. With the appropriate maps (CitySelect), I can look up pretty much anything, anywhere in the US & Canada. Phone numbers and all, as well as routing to the address.

You should probably check out the site www.gpsinformation.net. Great information for anyone interested in a GPS. Reviews are factual, but a bit dry. Very easy to compare the different reviews and read between the lines though. Well worth doing a bit of homework to get the right unit for your needs.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
gps

Dabprice.....Garmin has a c-340 coming out in Aug :D The price is almost the same as the 30....

W

·
0 Posts
I have a garmin 2620..I like it very much. since it has huge hard drive built in, it covers all canada and usa. If you don't want to do any loading before your trip, it is a good choice.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
gps 2620

Do you have to load info on every trip :?: :?: :?: If I go to Fla. must I load all info :?: :?: Voice :?:

W

·
0 Posts
I have a garmin 2620. I like it a lot.

there are a variety of models you may chose. The price is on its built-in memory. With garmin 2620, the HD is 2.5G. It covers all US, Canada and Mexco. If you are going to Europe, then you need to buy the CD and load it by yourself.

No GPS device currently has the capability to cover all countries.

If your model is not 2620 or 2650, then your HD may not be big enough to cover all USA. You will get a CD and do the load by yourself.

E

·
0 Posts
I use Streets & Trips 2005 (microsoft) on my laptop
Work kinda cool.. :lol:

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
gps

I bought the new model made by Garmin i3..You can find at Buy.com for I think about 311.00...You must load Maps...Easy :wink: ..I was able to load NY..NJ..PA..NewEngland.and still had room...you can go to Garmin.com and read up on it....

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
gps

I never really looked at the tom tom in the flesh :lol: But I did check out the Garmin c330 which is pretty big...I mean next to my i3......I would compare side by side if you plan to purchase :D I will tell you this :roll: The more expensive are no better at picking up the Birds......You are paying for features :( I do wish that the unit would announce street names....Not just left and right turns :roll: I would not pay 500.00 more for that :x Maybe Garmin will have a Firmware update with that feature :shock: :shock:

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
gps

Bluetooth and traffic alerts are features that cost a monthly fee :( I think you must have a Bluetooth type phone system..

·
Registered
214 Posts
postman said:
Any you Ravers buy GPS for car :?: In the market for a good unit :lol:
I have a strong desire to buy one of the Camry units from oemvalue.com, but it'll have to wait until I finish disaster ops in New Orleans.

Wayne

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have a Garmin GPS V installed in my '01 Rav. It is an older model (and was correspondingly cheaper). It has a b&w screen but does full auto-routing, mapping, and has 19MB of memory in it.

I've removed the factory stereo and replaced it with a single DIN unit, and then installed the GPS V into the dash directly over the stereo. I just had to make a little bracket to let me bolt it in. I bought an external antenna which for now is just sitting on the dash under the windscreen but I'm thinking about moving it to the roof for the best reception.

I've also wired the gps directly into the car's power using one of the two 12v lines going into the radio. When I go on long trips I don't like the GPS switching off when I stop to get petrol, so I wired it to the 'always on' 12v. Finally, I wired the data port on the GPS to a small 1/8" jack that I panel mounted, so I can do updates and downloads in the car with a laptop, so I won't have to remove the GPS from the dash to keep my waypoints and routes updated.

I can post images if anyone's interested. The GPS cost me $350 (Canadian) and came with a full version of MapSource, plus the auto & computer cables. The only extras I bought was the external antenna.

-Stephanie

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
gps

Holy cow :shock: You must have a PHD in GPS :shock: Garmin has the i2 coming out in about 2 months..B&W unit .Buy.com about 269.00..I really cant see paying a lotta bread for a unit :roll: I'm pretty happy happy with this i3...It is a little small...But there is no reason to really look at map :roll: Just listen 8) It also uses 2AA for out of car use :wink: I also bought external antenna which came with inside mount...Just throw on dash for now :D

·
Registered
32 Posts
I used to have a Magellan GPS 'on' my dash, it was in a mobile-mount attached to the silver 'trim panel' that surrounds the radio. Some lowlife broke in and took it...but he couldn't figure out how to get it out of the bracket so he tore off the whole trim panel! It's just held on by four screws, that are in metal clips that are attached to plastic. It cost $350 to replace the trim panel, and I vowed to never have anything just clipped on again.

So now it looks bulit-in. I still have to fab some plastic to tidy up the drivers-side edge of the installation but even as it is, I think it looks pretty good.

-Stephanie

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
gps

What is that MIC for :?: 2way or CB :?: I'm still trying to find the right place for my unit :roll: Suction cup :?: Gets to hot in summer :roll: Put on Dash with double stick tape :shock: Darn thing fell off :twisted: I will try 3M super velcro :lol: :lol: I try not to keep even a pen in sight.......That is a koolllll set-up...That phone holder just may give an idea :idea: :idea:

1 - 20 of 39 Posts