Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently had a brake issue and took my car to the local Toyota dealer since they had renewed the pads less than 6 months ago. They examined the brakes and acknowledged that the issue, clunking brakes, was their responsibility and they would take care of it. They completed the work and I drove away. The first place I stopped I just happened to look at the rotors and noticed something black on them. The rotors on both sides were contaminated with grease. I returned to the dealer and happened to catch the tech who worked on my car and the service writer at the counter so I asked them to look at my rear brakes and explain why my rotors were covered with grease. The tech told me that it was not possible to service the issue on my car without getting grease on the rotors. The grease was going to be gone by the time I got home and would not be an issue for braking. Now, I have not worked on my own cars for a couple of decades and so I will admit that I am not up to snuff on the latest tech and lubricants but, does Toyota really have a lubricating product that can get on brake rotors and pads and not affect the coefficient of friction and the effectiveness of my brakes?

·
Registered
312 Posts
There shouldn't be a noticeable amount of grease on your rotors even though they worked on them. There might be some grease "marks" from the mechanics dirty hands ,but nothing you couldn't wipe off. If there is an excessive amount of grease on your rotors after a brake job, then that mechanic shouldn't be one. It will definitely affect your braking function for the first say 10 stops. If the build up isn't excessive, it will go away... Did you notice any non stopping power when you left? If not , you're good to go.....

Reactions: wrxdad

·
Registered
8,529 Posts
RAV brakes work by friction and grease is a lubricant and so reduces or eliminates friction, so it should not be on brake rotors or on brake pads. Having grease on either could cause a crash! The brake tech should have cleaned all grease from braking surfaces and from locations where it could get onto those surfaces.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts