Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I had my front two windows tinted a few days ago on a 2016 hybrid limited. Our legal limit is 50% for front windows. I notice that there is a slight green hue to the front windows and the back factory tint is just grey. I was pretty ticked at this at first since I had my front windows tinted on a 2014 rav and it did not have a green hue to it. So I did some google-fu and found a forum for tint professionals and they were posting about a customer who was mad about a slight green hue to his 4runner front tint. According to everyone there some toyota front windows do actually have a slight hue to them and it's a problem they have run into before with toyota fronts. Apparently the rear factory tinted windows don't have the hue. It's a multi page thread with everyone agreeing that the hue is from the window itself.

Has anyone had experience with this or knows a lot about tinting? Any truth to this? Maybe the 2014 and 2016 windows are different? I don't think I'll complain now that I've seen that it is actually an issue. You can't see it looking in. It's just a slightly different hue when comparing the front to back windows looking out. I was just surprised to see that since my 2014 matched.

If nothing else, this may be an FYI for anyone getting their fronts tinted.

·
Registered
60 Posts
So I had my front two windows tinted a few days ago on a 2016 hybrid limited. Our legal limit is 50% for front windows. I notice that there is a slight green hue to the front windows and the back factory tint is just grey. I was pretty ticked at this at first since I had my front windows tinted on a 2014 rav and it did not have a green hue to it. So I did some google-fu and found a forum for tint professionals and they were posting about a customer who was mad about a slight green hue to his 4runner front tint. According to everyone there some toyota front windows do actually have a slight hue to them and it's a problem they have run into before with toyota fronts. Apparently the rear factory tinted windows don't have the hue. It's a multi page thread with everyone agreeing that the hue is from the window itself.

Has anyone had experience with this or knows a lot about tinting? Any truth to this? Maybe the 2014 and 2016 windows are different? I don't think I'll complain now that I've seen that it is actually an issue. You can't see it looking in. It's just a slightly different hue when comparing the front to back windows looking out. I was just surprised to see that since my 2014 matched.

If nothing else, this may be an FYI for anyone getting their fronts tinted.
I got the same green hue in my front windows on a 2107 XLE. I found the same explanation as you did, it has something to do with UV protection present on the Toyota glass that shows a greenish hue when combined with the tinting film. I complained at first, but then realized that, while driving at night, that green finish helps block more glare from headlights of cars driving behind you that what you get with the factory gray in the rear windows/windshield. Since it doesn't look bad from the outside, I just learned to live with it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts