Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have two 1999 series 1 short wheelbase three door models. One is the rare soft top (registration plate R4 SFT - RAV 4 soft top!) and the other is a 'Heat' special edition that has been modified to run on liquid petroleum gas. Great workhorses both though the gas tank does restrict the boot space on the second one.
Keith

Attachments

·
Registered
8,530 Posts
Welcome, Keith! What have you discovered about the advantages and disadvantages of using LPG in your special edition RAV besides the tank size?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Jim. I've not long had it. The idea of a cheap to run rugged commuter appealed and I confess that the soft top (the actual fabric that is) can't last forever. So far the gas has been as predicted in every article I've read. There is a 20% drop in power and in miles per gallon/litre. However, shopping around means I can buy gas for about 55pence per litre. Unlike most conversions, the Rav has a decent size tank, fifty litres, which I can fill for a tad more than £25. This takes me around 220 miles, so even though the mileage isn't so good, the cost is still lower than petrol even at current prices. I can switch to petrol if I need to (it's always needed to start the car and then switches to gas when operating temperature is reached. One downside is that two annual services are required; one being purely for the gas side of things. The gas vehicle also has a tow ball fitted so is also heavier than the soft top. To be honest, it makes it less fun to drive, but on the other hand my 125 mile weekly commute is costing 40% less!

·
Registered
8,530 Posts
Hi Kevin. Having lived in the U.K. I've experienced its high petrol costs, and your LPG RAV as you mentioned is lowering the cost for your commute drives. Petrol is comparatively less expensive here and although some have had conversion kits installed so that they can use LPG the conversion cost is somewhat pricey, and there is the problem of the LPG tank occupying space. Good to hear that yours is working well for you even though there are some inconveniences involved.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts