Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in Seattle and just joined the forum. I don't have my RAV4 yet -- I ordered it last month and it should be arriving sometime in Februrary. I wanted an L edition in a stick with a whole army of accessories that they normally don't put on the cars with manual transmissions, hence the need to order it from Japan. So I'm excited to be getting closer to February and crossing my fingers that it will not be delayed.

My husband and I have owned 4 4Runners between the two of us over the years and I currently have a little 96' VW GTI that I dearly love. It will most likely be totally put out when I get rid of it for the RAV, but oh well. :) I decided that I want a 4wd again so I can go back into the mountains without dealing with chains in the winter and Toyota makes a great vehicle. So, greetings to you all everywhere and Happy New Year!

Kathy

·
Registered
176 Posts
Welcome to the forums. It is good to see someone else from the great State of Washington! I grew up in Seattle but now live in Richland.
Be sure and check out the meetings section. Hopefully we can have another meet with several people from the Pacific Northwest!
You will love your RAV4. My wife drives my old one, a '98 and I now drive a 2000. Next year I will have to go no older than a '02 and it will probably be another RAV4.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Welcome, Kathy!

Be glad you live in a region where it is POSSIBLE to get an "L" in a stick! I tried to do just what you did...order a loaded "L" with a stick from my local dealer and after about a month of the dealer arguing with their District people it was finally determined that the ONLY Rav I could get locally with a stick was the base model.

I jumped on the internet and finally located one at a dealer in Boston, gave them a call, and did the deal. The upside was that I got a fantastic vacation in Boston, a 1,000 mile drive home to get to know the Rav, and a beautiful Rav! Not a bad deal all in all. :D

Becky

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Greetings, and welcome!!! :D

I've been a lifelong Toyota driver. My former car is a 1995 Toyota Tercel, which I finally traded in for my 2004 RAV4 in June 2004.

Here in Vancouver, stick-shifts are hard to come by - for all cars, not just the RAV4. While car shopping, I only found two that were sticks; the rest were automatic. :? Luckily, I didn't have to custom-order one from Japan, although I was prepared to.

(Toyota dealers in Canada only stock RAV4s in 4WD.)

Good luck with the new car, when it arrives - hopefully soon! 8)

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the replies! To answer your question, Miriam, I got it in the Titanium Silver -- or I guess I should say I ordered it in that.
Becky, your story about how hard it was to get an L in a stick mirrors my experience here. I could get one if I didn't want leather and a lot of the other options. A few of the dealers wanted to offer aftermarket leather and aftermarket add-ons, but the price of the car would have climbed to a ridiculous level doing all of that compared to what the factory would charge. So, I finally found a great dealer that is working with me on it, but I'll believe it when the car hits the pavement at the port in Portland, OR. The general manager called me a few days ago and said he was going to try and get a status for me, so I'm eagerly awaiting to hear and hopefully will get a build date soon.

Kathy

·
Premium Member
3,348 Posts
Uh... sure... I'll watch for it. I only saw about 100 RAVs today :roll:

You know... several of the accessories are installed at the port in Portland. Tow hitch, side bars, alarm, cargo net, carpet, etc. :) Gotta keep up that US content 8)

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Does anyone have a blue 2004 with the taupe interior and a 5 speed? That's what I was looking for, and 3 dealers told me it would be like a needle in a haystack. I needed the taupe to better match the dog hair plastered everywhere inside, so I ended up with an auto.

I'm a brand newbie, by the way, from Gloucester, MA. Nice to meet cha.

Laura :D

·
Registered
422 Posts
Welcome, Laura! I also wanted the taupe interior originally, partly because of the dog:

and partly just to be different. I would've settled for any of three exterior colors that I had in mind. From what I was told, although blue/taupe was technically buildable, they are VERY rare. I would imagine that perhaps they only go to certain regions. Toyota seems to be big on having particular specs for particular sales regions, and not allowing for much variation.

FWIW, when I was visiting your region (picking up my Rav from a Boston dealer), I saw a LOT of Ravs but didn't see any taupe interiors to the best of my recollection. I know I didn't see any on the dealer's lot (or rather in the dealer's very large basement...no lot due to being smack in the middle of Boston).

Becky

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That's funny....My boyfriend went out to Appleton, WI to buy a car and bring it back. He had to have the exact color, interior, transmission, and options he wanted, and would not bend on anything. So he found one out there, and enjoyed spending his first 1,100 mi with the car on a road trip.

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You guys talking about going way far away to pick up cars and driving them back makes me think of how if you're buying a Volvo or a BMW you can go to Sweden or Germany and pick the car up for a little vacation before they put the thing on a boat to the States. I saw an article a couple days ago that said Volvo will even supply your round trip air fare! I don't think I've heard that about BMW but it wouldn't surprise me. Wonder if Toyota does these kinds of arrangements? Could be a lot of fun.

Kathy

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
He did get a Formula Firehawk...I'm not sure he could handle the power of the mighty RAV. :lol:

·
Registered
986 Posts
Kathy it's funny that you mention getting a Volvo from the factory in Sweden. A good friend of my parents (who happens to be somewhat wealthy) has been driving Volvos for almost 30 years, and a few years ago he decided to get one right from the factory. He and his wife are antique dealers who have done extensive traveling throughout Europe, so going over there wasn't as big of a deal for them as it would be for average people. He custom ordered a 2001 Volvo c70 convertible, picked it up right from the factory and shipped it here to the states. Just like you mentioned, Volvo paid for the roundtrip airfare for the trip to get the car.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Kathy said:
Wonder if Toyota does these kinds of arrangements? Could be a lot of fun.

In my quest for a 4.2 2-door, I tried suggesting this at a couple of different dealers, except I was offering not only to pay my own expenses, but the dealer's cost for sticking the Rav on a boat (on the assumption that dealers pay less per vehicle shipped than would be charged to a private party, since they ship vehicles constantly). They said Toyota doesn't do that, period. :cry:

Becky

·
Super Moderator
1,554 Posts
Becky J. said:
In my quest for a 4.2 2-door, I tried suggesting this at a couple of different dealers, except I was offering not only to pay my own expenses, but the dealer's cost for sticking the RAV on a boat (on the assumption that dealers pay less per vehicle shipped than would be charged to a private party, since they ship vehicles constantly). They said Toyota doesn't do that, period. :cry:
Becky
Well maybe if we get multiple orders or something?? I want a 4.2 , 2dr as well...
We would need to order from the UK though because those are left hand drives...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts