Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have searched various times through the 4.2 forums and have enjoyed reading about other builds, and I have gotten some ideas of my options, but I would like some extra advice for my driving style and road conditions.

I have the Old man Emu coil springs front and rear, with original Toyota strut/shock and OME rear shocks (now broken) I have ordered the Russian spacers for extra lift. I had some knocking issues so I replaced a control arm, links and ends etc.

It was running great for a while, but then the rear end seemed soggy again, the outer metal tubes of both OME shocks were loose and rattling around, and a couple of weeks later after the car was sitting parked for a while, I reversed and the compression of the rear shock perforated my brake hose!

For a few months it feels like I have a lot of weight in the back, bouncy, the shocks are 12 months installed and I never carried much weight.

Driving style has a lot to do with it, I drive pretty hard over dirt/rock roads 50% of the time which causes lots of travel on the suspension. Then the other 50% I am on asphalt at 50-60mph, (here they build ilegal speedbumps with no warnings, I have hit some doing >40mph under full braking)

So, I am looking for new shocks (and a new engine, other post), and recently stumbled upon bumpstops and other things I should have known about before. Seeing as my OME shocks are already done, I am looking at other brands, Gas a just, pro comp mx6.

I will run the OME springs plus the Russian spacers when they arrive (+ hubcentric spacers) , so I need to account for that extra lift.

How do I protect the shocks against the wheel travel, with installing the 'Christmas tree' stops? They have different compression ratios etc and I don't know much about that, are there any resources that will help me choose?

I appreciate any help.
Chris.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Hi Chris; I'm surprised you destroyed both your OME shocks inside a year. OME is a good reputable company that usually sells excellent products. I personally never had OME shocks, so I can't tell my experience with these. But if both are dead, I understand your wish to try another brand.

What do you means by ''christmas tree stops'' ?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi, I am surprised too, everyone else seems to be running the OME shocks with great results, still trying to see how mine failed.

As for the 'christmas tree stop' I read that term somewhere and assumed it was slang for a type of bumpstop due to the conical shape, but I don't know what really I would need to protect the shocks in the future.

This was just after lowering the car onto the OME springs and shocks, pre adjustments.

IMG-20190116-WA0014.jpeg

Screenshot_20200111-113836_Photos.jpg

So after some suspension work, I dove it for a couple of weeks and it developed a bad knock from the right back going over bumps. I checked it and found the link had come undone from the green arrow. Which caused the upper control arm to get a bit bent, so the had it repaired at a lathe and painted blue for some reason.

The metal surround of the shock with the blue arrow is completely loose and makes a metal on metal 'ting ting' noise constantly on both sides, and because it is loose it ended up tearing through the brake lines in red, which are now looping down then up.

I read your post about not going off road without shock protection and that is how I discovered bump stops, I am just trying to make sure I do it right, or at least better this time.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I am in a similar situation. I have the OME rear shocks installed and am not running rear bump stops. The lift has been installed for just over a year with around 35k miles on it. The left rear shock has begun leaking. It is not completely blown yet but it will need replacement soon. I am considering discussing this issue with OME.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts