Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2004 4 cylinder 2.4 AWD
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got got ourselves a 2004 RAV4 Sport. 115K Miles, gently used. I love it. A pleasure to drive. But.......

First the VSCTrac and ABS and check engine light came on. Read codes. Gross air leak , replace fuel cap. Did that.

For some time the front end sounded a little rough, as if the brake pads were worn and rubbing on the disk. Pads look good.

A couple of days ago, when pulling away from a stop, on a slight incline, a left turn and on a wet road with perhaps a little heavy acceleorator (nothing crazy), wheels might have slipped momentarily, The VSC TRac light and ABS lights came on, No check Engine light. As I slowly accelorated the car handled oddly. As if brakes applied. After I gunned it a little it seemed to go away but then grinding noise and lights returned,

I checked the tire pressure and they were all at 25-30 psi. Inflated all to 35 psi. Disconnected battery neg cable to clear check engine lights. After 15 mins reconected. VSC, ABS and flashing tire pressure warning all came on immeadiately.

Browing this forums I came across YAW Rate sensor and steering sensor. And zeroing out sensors to calibrate,

I've bought used replacement YAw sensor on Ebay for $15. It Will arrive shortly.

Where exactly is the Yaw rate sensor located . Under the drivers seat? Looked there but not obioulsy in view. Is it under carpet and the seat must be removed?

Any brief tips as how to proceed would be appreciated. I'm unfamiliar with all the VSC complications.

And how the hell do you get the cover off the spare tire on the rear door? I'm missing something I Know!

Happy Motoring.

Bob

·
Registered
2004 4 cylinder 2.4 AWD
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
MAybe it is the brakes. I think I wrongly diagnosed the brakes as the noisy side has no pad showing. Other side still some pad visible.

Also when I actually drove the car after toppng up the tires pressures the lights went away after just a few yards.

Just the grinding noise from front left wheel.

Off to buy new pads. Taking a quick spin on a lovely day on my 1989 BMW K100 LT. Ha Ha :)

Will report back soon.

Bob

·
Registered
2004 4 cylinder 2.4 AWD
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes It was the brakes.

The previous owner had done a brake job but not lubricted the steel clips/shims. They were rusty without grease.Wear was uneven on the pads and they hung up and made the pads loose. Hence the noise.

I just replaced the front pads and found a couple of the lower shims were missing which must have contributed to the pads hang up.

After the brake job the VSC, ABS and tire warning lights came on but after a few minutes went off.

Hopefully that's it.

Lesson learned. Lubricate the pad shims when doing a brake job.

Bob

·
Registered
158 Posts
Well I'm glad that you figured it out! Amazing how something so simple can cause such a headache!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts