Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2010 RAV4 and for the last 2 days I have been trying to track down a squeak in the back. I finally narrowed it down to the spare tire and or the cover. On the lugs that hold the spare there are grey plastic clips, and I have no idea what their purpose is. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Not sure about the clips as I have never taken the spare wheel off my 2007. That being said, I have had a noise from my rear door area and after a lot of checking and fooling around found it was a combination of 2 things.

1. There is a little white piece of plastic just below the latch when closing (it seems to be a guide for the door when shutting , maybe to help support the weight instead of just the latch). I applied a bit of general purpose grease to this and it got rid of a lot of the squeak/rattle type noise.

2. I learned I need to shut the door by pushing on the spare tire holding my hand against it until it was firmly close (not allowing the door to bounce off the latch). I do not shut the door any harder it just shuts a little more securely.

By doing these 2 things, I have completely eliminated the noise from the rear of the Rav.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
137 Posts
the little clips on the spare lugs, are metal with a foam backing, they are to quiet the noise of the spare mounted on the back door.
I think your back door squeaky thing is the latch. Search the forum for that one. It has been an ongoing issue for a while.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts