Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

After buying my 2000 Rav4 I noticed a grinding noise coming from the engine bay at around 2k RPM, and when it's cold it's there a little bit during idle. It only occurs when I'm pressing the gas and completely goes away at around 3k RPM. Otherwise the sound doesn't change with engine temp, drive duration or wheel speed. I think it's coming from the timing belt cover area, which suggested a bad water pump or idler bearings, but I just replaced the timing belt, idler pulleys and water pump this past weekend and the noise is still there.

After some research, I think it could either be the oil pump or heat shields. I haven't taken a look at the heat shields yet today since it's been pouring, but there are a few things that suggest to me that it might be the oil pump:
  • I seem to have a fairly noisy valve train (I'll check this against my friend's 1996 Rav4 later today)
  • I took the spark plugs out and they indicate that the engine is running hot
  • The location of the noise
Is there anything else I should consider, and are there any other explanations for the noise I'm hearing?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Possible solutions for noise

It seems like it could be some loose bolts on the exhaust system. I had that happen to me when I bought my RAV4.
Thanks,
rav4 1

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank for the suggestion rav4 1! I got a chance to poke around the car today and found that there was a rusted-out mount on the upper heat shield. I took the whole thing off but unfortunately the sound was still there. If I find some time I'm going to fabricate a replacement out of sheet metal, but until then I'll just keep using the rusted one.

The sound is definitely coming from the timing cover; I'm beginning to think that I just ****ed up some part of the re installation after taking everything apart to replace the timing belt and water pump. I'll go back through and recheck everything tonight.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I got it all figured out! It was a combination of a loose timing belt hitting the timing cover and a rattling heat shield directly above the front suspension linkages. He purrs like a cat now, albeit a slightly under powered cat :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts