Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is a particular intersection I go through where this always happens. Just before the stop sign there is an irregularity in the road surface which causes a bump. I'm generally slowing at that point, then when I put on the brakes to stop, they make a grinding noise. The noise does not occur when braking at other times.
Any ideas what is happening?

·
Registered
142 Posts
Probably a slight instance where the ABS comes on momentarily. Happened to me a few times when I'm slowing down and driving over a manhole cover at the same time.

dp

·
Registered
2021 Rav4 Prime max trim
441 Posts
When ABS is triggered, braking has to switch from regen to friction braking and it can feel like a momentary acceleration then the friction brakes kick in and you can sometime hear a grinding noise from the brake pads. When there is wheel slippage the system protects charging system by switching to friction brakes, but Toyota has gotten better at switching so I fell less ‘perceived acceleration’. It can still catch you off guard and make you feel like you are going to hit whatever is in front of you for a split second, but then the friction brakes do their job and stop you quick.

You can also hear the friction brakes take over and grab at approx 3mph as you come to a stop.

Reactions: mililani

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have experienced this just as you describe - I get the grinding noise when I brake over a specific rough spot in the road. I read in several reviews of the Prime that the ABS makes a loud grinding noise when it engages, so I’ve always assumed that’s what I’m hearing.

·
Registered
21 Rav4 Prime SE with a little brother 95 LJ70 diesel
84 Posts
I do notice some odd noise/feel when braking on road bumps usually on gravel roads. I think the wheel locks up for a brief second while its in the air and then the computer tries to deal with it by shifting torque to the other wheels.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts