Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 06 rav4 limited v6 and i found that when i go in reverse with no load that truck doesn't make any noise, but when i give it some gas it starts to make a buzzing noise and vibration under the floor by my feet. it shifts fine driving. has anyone found a solution for this situation?

·
Registered
268 Posts
Might be the heat shield above the catalytic converter. They can get loose (on any car) and rattle at a particular RPM, usually low speed.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I will look, but feels more like abs is kicking on but it's under the car, not under the hood the abs unit is located

·
Super Moderator
11,340 Posts
Is it FWD or 4WD? I didn't dig for that info. How many miles?

·
Super Moderator
11,340 Posts
The only thing I can think of is some part of the exhaust system hitting the body as the engine torques on its mounts with power applied in reverse. Unless you have a broken mount it doesn't sound serious.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I recently experienced something which may be similar in my 2012 V6 4WD, a rattling kind of noise only when going slowly in reverse. It has since disappeared. I wondered if it was pebbles caught in the brake shield....

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just bought a 06 rav4 limited v6 and i found that when i go in reverse with no load that truck doesn't make any noise, but when i give it some gas it starts to make a buzzing noise and vibration under the floor by my feet. it shifts fine driving. has anyone found a solution for this situation?
Im having the same issue. it sounds like a grinding noise from the transfer case going to the rear diff.

·
Registered
2010 Sport AWD V6 SAP 213000 miles
23 Posts
I noticed this today for the 1st time. My rear-most heat shield over exhaust was loose. Stuck that in place. Same thing: in reverse rolling with no throttle no noise, but with a little throttle, it sounds as if front wheel well trim is rubbing the tire, but deeper, and more vibration. I picked up the front end, and turned the wheels, checked all the trim, and nothing. Tie rods are solid. CV joint is entact. No play in the wheels. I don't know, but I'm concerned this is the beginning of something. Hoping to figure out before it devolves into a bad problem. Taking it easy in reverse until then.

2010 V6 Sport SAP 207K mi

·
Registered
23 Posts
Just a quick update. I am able to create this sound while the car is not moving, holding brake and giving throttle in reverse. Changed rear motor mount...no change. Sounds like it's below so maybe linked to transfer case, or drive shaft. Center bearing looks OK. A little play, but nothing major. Not sure how much is acceptable. Will continue to investigate.

·
Registered
23 Posts
The saga continues with some new info. I have replaced 3 out of the 4 motor mounts. Just passenger side remains. They were worn but not broken. No change in sound. HOWEVER, while front mount was out (had to drop front crossmember to get it out) I tried to recreate sound and it was gone! I thought I solved it, until I resassembled everything. Without changing car's position (wheels still up), the sound was back.

So to recap, grinding sound happens with car in reverse, engine under load, coming from under the front passenger side, car moving or held in place with brake. Without front mount and cross-frame, sound goes away. Put it all back together, sound is back...whaat!? Lol

Anothet thing, the sound is either on or off. It does not fade up or out.

What is in motion in this scenario? Drive belts I get but there is no obvious sign of rubbing there (that is kind of what it sounds like). Is anything turning in the transmission if the wheels are not moving? Torque converter? The transmission is one of the last frontiers for my knowledge base. Could this sound be produced from an exhaust that is moves a certain way as the engine torques? I'm at a loss.

·
Registered
2007 sport v6 215k miles
96 Posts
It is the muffler touching the heat shield under the passenger seat. I have the same noise ever since a mechanic cut off the original rotted out muffler and replacing it with a walker aftermarket. It didnt fit very well and touching the underside of the heatshield when engine under load in reverse. I have this noise for years now and it never getting any better or worse.

So I guess you have an aftermarket muffler as well?

·
Registered
465 Posts
The saga continues with some new info. I have replaced 3 out of the 4 motor mounts. Just passenger side remains. They were worn but not broken. No change in sound. HOWEVER, while front mount was out (had to drop front crossmember to get it out) I tried to recreate sound and it was gone! I thought I solved it, until I resassembled everything. Without changing car's position (wheels still up), the sound was back.

So to recap, grinding sound happens with car in reverse, engine under load, coming from under the front passenger side, car moving or held in place with brake. Without front mount and cross-frame, sound goes away. Put it all back together, sound is back...whaat!? Lol

Anothet thing, the sound is either on or off. It does not fade up or out.

What is in motion in this scenario? Drive belts I get but there is no obvious sign of rubbing there (that is kind of what it sounds like). Is anything turning in the transmission if the wheels are not moving? Torque converter? The transmission is one of the last frontiers for my knowledge base. Could this sound be produced from an exhaust that is moves a certain way as the engine torques? I'm at a loss.
I have a similar issue with my Corolla. It makes a groaning noise when first started, especially when it's cold and under a little load. Sounded exactly like an exhaust manifold leak but I changed that months earlier as it was leaking.
I can sit in drive with foot on the brake and tap the throttle to get the noise. Then once warmed up after driving, not so noticeable.
I tried removing the serpentine belt and the noise was gone! The sound seems to be coming from my AC bearing and when the engine is under load , it groans a little. I bought a re route belt for it when and if the noise gets worse.
Remove your serpentine belt and try to re create the noise. Otherwise, it' a weird vibration and when the cross member and front mount is removed, it's not there. Good luck...

·
Registered
23 Posts
Lol Yes! The answer is muffler. Thank you Rav-O-Matic. I was just writing as your comment appeared. And yes it is a Walker muffler...sonuva! My engine is torquing (if that's how you spell it) that thing up against the heat shield. Just checked and found with a friend. I was looking in the wrong places when originally trying to pinpoint sound. Smh But at least I know it's not serious and while mounts weren't broken they were def worn so glad I changed out.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts