Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just posting to whine. Went out in the garage just now to get the garbage tied up to go to the curb tomorrow and I heard this little noise like a mosquito. No mosquitoes in this weather so you know it's gotta be a tire, and it was. My rear passenger side tire is halfway flat...must've run over a nail or something on the way home. (My paranoid side worries that it was actually the guy who drove into the parking ramp behind me. I park WAY at the bottom of the ramp, he was right behind me, and I'm pretty sure I took the spot he was hoping to get. I HOPE I'm just being paranoid.)

I get it fixed for free by the place I got the tires from, but it's still darned inconvenient!!! :x

Becky

J

·
0 Posts
awwe dont be so pessiimistic. Just think of it as a way that the man above wants you to change your rear tire. But just incase carry a nail around for the next time you see him j/k.

^^

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay, I've pretty much concluded it wasn't the guy in the parking ramp. But the mystery gets even better!

My boss calls me from the parking ramp this morning...pulled into the ramp, parked, got out of his truck, and he hears this hissssss.... Yep, he got a flat tire too. THEN, a few minutes later he calls again. He's got TWO flat tires, both on the same side (right side, same as me)!!! I called the City and they said they'd send a crew to "scan" the parking ramp. I'm hoping this involved metal detectors. I didn't hear back from them so I've got no idea if they found anything.

Verdict on my boss' tires--punctures with nothing in them. Verdict on my tire--the leak was caused by a nail, but there was also a screw in the tire! The screw was not deep enough to cause a leak. The whole situation was very strange, and I sure hope they cleaned up the ramp!

Becky

E

·
0 Posts
Becky J. said:
Okay, I've pretty much concluded it wasn't the guy in the parking ramp. But the mystery gets even better!

My boss calls me from the parking ramp this morning...pulled into the ramp, parked, got out of his truck, and he hears this hissssss.... Yep, he got a flat tire too. THEN, a few minutes later he calls again. He's got TWO flat tires, both on the same side (right side, same as me)!!! I called the City and they said they'd send a crew to "scan" the parking ramp. I'm hoping this involved metal detectors. I didn't hear back from them so I've got no idea if they found anything.

Verdict on my boss' tires--punctures with nothing in them. Verdict on my tire--the leak was caused by a nail, but there was also a screw in the tire! The screw was not deep enough to cause a leak. The whole situation was very strange, and I sure hope they cleaned up the ramp!

Becky
Boy, that's one heck of a mystery! :(

My bet is that there is either a serial vandal or an exposed nail in the underground parkade.

·
Registered
986 Posts
I got a nail in one of my tires last summer, it poked up through the shoulder of the tread and tore one of the belts on the sidewall. It was in there for a couple months before I finally noticed there actually was a puncture, and then a week until I got it fixed. Over the months prior to discovering the nail, I noticed the tire leaked pressure, however since it was only a few psi per week I just though it was a bad valve stem. I also noticed a small bulge in the sidewall, which I didn't think much about until I found the nail and realized it tore the inside belt of the sidewall. Even with the nail and the torn sidewall belt, the tire never blew out.

Luckily I had saved a tire from the previous set that were on the Rav for just such an occasion, because I have had to replace tires in the past due to punctures. So I just took the used tire over to a shop and had them switch the tires. Whenever I get a new set of tires I save one of the old ones in case I need to replace one of the new tires on the car. I have an assortment of single tires at my parents' house that I've accumulated over the years.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I hate getting flats!! I used to get a couple a week when my tires got about half wore out while I was running Open Country A/T's, since I changed to Cooper Discouverer I haven't had a flat! It has been over a year since I have had a flat!! (now I will probably get one)

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Picked up a bolt in one of my new tires before it was on for even a month. Glad I got the road hazard coverage. Paid for itself already.

Mixing in a used tire like that is very, very bad for an AWD vehicle's transmission. All 4 treads should be equal. Even on a 2wd you at least want matched pairs.

·
Registered
986 Posts
That's why I saved a used tire just in case I got a flat with the new set. Believe me I know all about tires and AWD vehicles.

The first set of tires I had on my Rav were the stock Toyos, which lasted about 25K miles. I then replaced them with another set of the same Toyos, and saved a tire from the first set which had the most tread of the four I took off. About 2/3 of the way through the tread on the second set, I got a nail in one of the tires, as mentioned above. So I took the used tire which I had sitting in my garage, and had it mounted in place of the damaged tire. Therefore I was able to replace the damaged tire with one that had almost exactly the same amount of tread as the other 3 tires.

Since the used tire was the same model as the 3 other tires on the vehicle, with roughly the same amount of tread, it was a lot better than using a new tire, which would have more tread than the other 3 tires. I tend to buy two sets of the same tires in a row, so I can get away with what I do every now and then. I did the same thing with some Pirellis when I had my Volkswagen.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts