Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's finally here. A brand new GT25 turbocharger. In less than a couple weeks it will be installed and ready to put out even more power. Everybody I've spoken to has said it's a bad idea, but now that it's all coming together, opinions have changed. The point of this thread is to see how many people would be interested in seeing pics, stats, numbers, etc. regarding the new modification. Do reply if you're interested and I will post a new thread when it is all finished. Cheers! :wink

Attachments

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hell yah! Let's see it done. Please also do a before dyno so we have some baseline numbers.
If I can find a place that will do it cheap I will most certainly will. But right now I don't know of anywhere. I will look around though!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If I can find a place that will do it cheap I will most certainly will. But right now I don't know of anywhere. I will look around though!
You can't tune without a dyno.
I realize that, but right now I'm focused on getting it in and working. Tuning is a few hundred more dollars at the very least. I will worry about that after its in and at least running ?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just a little update, the turbo is going in nicely, these darn sideways engines Toyota does really makes it hard to fit it in between the block and the bumper! Will be finished within the next few days.

This mod will bump up the power rating to well over 300 and after its tuned right, around 350. Just for those who want a little more power in their RAV.

Starting HP would probably be around 260 to the flywheel (wasn't able to get it dynoed before it got torn apart)

Attachments

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thread subscribed! where in the world did you get turbo manifold for this car? are these all custom made parts?
The stock manifold was used. We just cut off the catalytic converter and welded the flange onto it. There were a few custom made items, such as flanges, and pipes had to be cut and welded a certain way.

As for tuning, I am taking it to a place near me to have it tuned by one of the dyno places in the area. They will use the stock ECU and change a couple things like the air/fuel ratios and find out how much boost the engine can safely handle.

·
Premium Member
2,505 Posts
[...]
As for tuning, I am taking it to a place near me to have it tuned by one of the dyno places in the area. They will use the stock ECU and change a couple things like the air/fuel ratios and find out how much boost the engine can safely handle.
What software rewrites those ECU parameters such as air/fuel ratios (given air temperature, RPM, atmospheric pressure etc. ping sensors...) and of course firing synchronization and handling feedback from the O2 sensors, cam time .. and more!

Are you blowing this impressionistic bull out your butt?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What software rewrites those ECU parameters such as air/fuel ratios (given air temperature, RPM, atmospheric pressure etc. ping sensors...) and of course firing synchronization and handling feedback from the O2 sensors, cam time .. and more!

Are you blowing this impressionistic bull out your butt?

Now if I knew all that, why would I be taking it to someone else to tune it for me?

Here, I'll leave their name and number for you to call and ask them yourself.
National Speed - Contact Us

I think you need to sit back and chill out. :wink

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Ahh.....found the thread. Where do your RAV4 stand now? How did the tuning go?

Uh oh...just finding out that he haven't logged on since this last post. Uh oh!
I just stopped by the link and asked a few questions. Curious to find out how things are going. :D

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Turbo is in, after a lot of issues (as expected). Haven't taken it to the dyno yet, but the 0-60 ran about 5-5.2 seconds at 16 pounds of boost.

Had multiple boost leaks when it was first plumbed up, but now it seems to hold air. Oil leaked like nothing I've seen before, 3 major leaks at fittings and a few smaller ones at clamps. All those issues are fixed now thanks to hard pipes instead of hoses.

Never had it tuned and it ran just as good as when I bought it.

Overall I wouldn't recommend doing it unless you know what you're doing. Had to call at least 5 friends on different problems from A/C to wiring.

I recently pulled the original engine out because it had over 200000 miles on it and one with much lower miles is in it. I do plan on putting the kit back on the new one when I get a few weeks free. I have pictures of some points during the build which I'll be happy to upload if you'd like.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
I recently pulled the original engine out because it had over 200000 miles on it and one with much lower miles is in it. I do plan on putting the kit back on the new one when I get a few weeks free. I have pictures of some points during the build which I'll be happy to upload if you'd like.
Congrats on the build! And absolutely we'd like pics. How you gonna keep us all drooling at the mouth. :D Looking forward to your dyno results and whatever other testing you plan on doing. This would be a first that has been posted on the boards. :thumbs_up:

·
Registered
45 Posts
Turbo is in, after a lot of issues (as expected). Haven't taken it to the dyno yet, but the 0-60 ran about 5-5.2 seconds at 16 pounds of boost.

Had multiple boost leaks when it was first plumbed up, but now it seems to hold air. Oil leaked like nothing I've seen before, 3 major leaks at fittings and a few smaller ones at clamps. All those issues are fixed now thanks to hard pipes instead of hoses.

Never had it tuned and it ran just as good as when I bought it.

Overall I wouldn't recommend doing it unless you know what you're doing. Had to call at least 5 friends on different problems from A/C to wiring.

Absolutely want pictures, and don't let anyone deter you from modding your rav4! Glad to see someone on this forum actually wants to do some serious tinkering for once!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
New thread

Congrats on the build! And absolutely we'd like pics. How you gonna keep us all drooling at the mouth. :D Looking forward to your dyno results and whatever other testing you plan on doing. This would be a first that has been posted on the boards. :thumbs_up:
Posted a new thread with an update as well as pictures, make sure to check it out if you're still interested!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts