Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My mom has a 2014 Rav 4 (Im pretty sure its an XLE). She is complaining abount night driving and visibility. I want to do LEDs over Xenons because I don't want her to have problems should she need replacements or service (she lives 1.5 hrs away from me, LEDs are drop in, no modification).

The king of the crop LED appears to be the GTR Lighting Gen 3s. They are expensive ($200 for a pair for low beams), but I'm fine with that because this will be a Christmas present. I can't include the link b/c I'm too new here, but its just the GTR Lighting Gen 3 LED 9006 bulbs kit.

I was wondering if anybody has used these EXACT bulbs in a Rav4 with stock projectors.. Was was your experience. Namely:

1) Is it noticeably brighter?
2) Is the beam pattern still good?
3) Did it work without flicker, or setting off dashboard warning lights?

Thanks everybody.

·
Registered
81 Posts
My mom complained about visibility on her honda accord stock halogen bulb so after extensive research/watching review videos I decided to go with this bulb.

Amazon LINK

I've had few different brands of HIDs in my previous car, tried few LEDs but this brand is definitely brighter than other brands, pattern seems to be great, and definitely on the affordable price range. So far I've installed this same bulb on 3 of our family cars and they all say it's definitely brighter. Only minor issue is the fan-noise when you run these for a while, but you only notice the fan noise once you have the engine off while having the lights on.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I considered those GTRs. They were a bit too pricey for me. LED bulbs in projectors can be very hit or miss. I originally got the SuperNova V.3 bulbs but the beam pattern was all wrong. The projector lenses expect to "see" light from a 360 degree arc around the bulb and although the LEDs do a decent approximation of that, it's really trial and error to find ones that work well.

Keep in mind that for the headlights you will likely also need to get "decoders" for the LED lights. Otherwise you can get flickering and/or issues with the computer not understanding why the headlight's electrical draw is not what it expects. I bought the GTR PWM (pulse width modulation) modules even though I ended up with Hikari LEDs in the end. I'm not sure Hikari's are the best either and there are many folks on this forum who have found other bulbs that they like so it's worth googling within the forum to read what other people have found.

All that being said... If you're really looking to improve lighting and want the best bang for the buck, I'd suggest upgrading the fog lights to LED bulbs. Specifically stick "headlight" H11 LED bulbs in the fog lamp assemblies. There are a few advantages to this approach: The fog lamp bulbs do NOT require a "decoder" module and most LED bulbs are designed for reflector (not projector) housings and will work well in the fog lamp assembly.

The stock bulbs are 19W halogens - pretty weak for fog lamps. However, heat dissipation is the biggest issue and, I suspect, why they did not go with something more robust like 55W which is more standard for fog lamps. You definitely do NOT want to overdo the fog lamp bulb wattages if you're sticking with halogen or HID because of heat. LED can give you significantly more output for relatively low wattage and it's *really* noticeable. I mean it makes a HUGE difference in near-ground and peripheral lighting. I don't keep mine on full time because I worry about the glare for oncoming vehicles. I've tried looking at my own lights from a distance and it isn't too bad, but it's definitely noticeable. That said, I haven't been high-beam flashed because of them yet...

Good luck!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts