Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't mind the Toyota green lighted guages, but I wish they were brighter.

I pulled the cluster out hoping to find the common 194 bulbs which are 3.8 watts so I could simply swap them out for 168 bulbs which are 4.9 watts. Not. It uses a hard to find sized 3 watt bulb :x

I took the green covers off the bulbs to see if that would make it a bit brighter...

As you can see, that didn't help and the color is not the best :(

-----

While searching for options I found these indiglo's from Japan:

Now that's more like it! :eek:

Unfortunately, that website was in Japanse so I don't know how hard it will be to get them or if they're available in MPH. I'm guessing they'll be expenseive.

------

I did more searching and came across this LED mod on a Honda Civic:

That looks good to me 8)

When I get some free time I may give it a shot.

Here's the DIY link for anyone that's interested: http://www.7thgencivic.com/forums/showthread.php?t=137792

If you have any other ideas, please post it here.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Looks nice nl4jy.

When the car is off and you turn you lights on, 12V will go to them. But when the car is on it's 14V.

·
Registered
57 Posts
So do you think it will be brighter?

Also will you think the bulbs will burn out at those voltage?

I'm using a 6v transformer atm. I might try a 12v transformer later... do you think it would make a difference.

Last, do you think you can design some better gauges? I can print and test out your design and post it up so you can see how it would look.

The icons is in the background plates, I might move them to the front if lighting them would be a problem. If you want, I can send you my photoshop file.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Do what the guy with the Honda did and sand or break the tips off the LEDs to difuse the light evenly.

Will it be brighter? It depends on how you wired them. Use the right resistor or they will burn out.

Everything I know so far I learned from this site: http://www.otherpower.com/otherpower_lighting_leds.html

Designing a guage is a matter of personal taste. What may look good to me, may not look good to you. I'm ok with the stock gauge. I just want it brighter.

BTW, where did you buy your LED's?

·
Registered
57 Posts
I bought it from www.superlumination.com

I bought the #74 ones. And I found out it's a little bit small. It'll fit, but not a perfect one.

I may be adding additional leds in the cluster to brighten the dim areas, but I'll have to fabricate it as these are wedge bulbs.

resistors? uhhhh... ummm.... I didn't bother with them and they seems to be fine at the moment. Will it blow up if I put it in the car? I sure hope not.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I thought you bought LED's and wired them yourself.

If you have LED bulbs, then you should be ok and they should be brighter in your car. Use the 12V transformer to give you a better idea of what it will look like in your car.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts