Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally decided to open up my door panel in order to look at what could be causing my mirror to vibrate and though that while doing it, i might as well write a quick how to remove door panel. A quick spoiler, i found and fixed my vibrating mirror 
You will need a small flat head, a #2 Philips and a trim removing tool. Sorry for the pics, I didn't know how to directly attach them.

Step 1: Using your trim removing tool, pop-out the power window trim. Be gentle. Unclip the power connector afterward. Poped side pannel.jpg

Step 2: Using the same tool, remove the small trim around the door handle. Behind this you should find a screw that need’s to be removed with your Philips screw driver. Door handle scre exposed.jpg

Step 3: Now, you can remove the side rubber style fascia. To do so, there is a small insert where my finger is pointing where you can insert a flat head screwdriver. Gently pry it of. After make your way with a trim removing tool and gently pop-out the remaining holding clips. Side trim insert 2.jpg

Step 4: There are 2 screws holding this panel and they are located where you pull the door to close it. They are into the circle opening. There is a final screw to the far right. (See picture) side trrim screw.jpg

Step 5: Using your trim removing tool and starting on the bottom left of the door (there is an insert) slowly and gently start prying the door panel off. You need to be really gentle to not break the retaining clips. You should hear some obvious pop when one of those clips release. Once they are all released, remove the door panel upward.

Here is what the inside of our doors looks like. As you can see, there is no insulation at all, no anti vibration pad and we were wondering why the Rav4 felt noisy. I know I'll be installing some insulation on my own when it gets warmer outside. Naked side pannel.jpg

Now to my final issue, my mirror. When i started inspecting, i found 2/3 screws that are holding my mirror to have become lose. I also found a random screw on the door it self that was tighten 2/10 probably. After tighting these bolts. My vibration is now gone !!!! The screws where located behind that black housing and the random one was on the top of the panel. faulkty scer.jpg random bad screw.jpg

What I've learned from this is that my Rav was probably built on a Friday.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Great post. Where’d you get your trim remover tool? I’d be interested in loctighting all of these loose screws and adding some dynamat myself, at least in the front doors.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
HOLY........

If thats how its coming from Japan....

This post needs stickied. I really wish we had a mod forum so we could have individual threads for topics versus searching a big huge thread for info.

Oh and PROPS to you for digging in and solving it!

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Great post. Where’d you get your trim remover tool? I’d be interested in loctighting all of these loose screws and adding some dynamat myself, at least in the front doors.

I have one from Harbor Freight and one from an LED set I bought...

·
Registered
160 Posts

I have one from Harbor Freight and one from an LED set I bought...
What exactly am I looking for? Is this essentially a plastic knife/wedge? I have as many tools as any dad but I’ve never specifically bought a trim remover.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
HOLY........

If thats how its coming from Japan....

This post needs stickied. I really wish we had a mod forum so we could have individual threads for topics versus searching a big huge thread for info.

Oh and PROPS to you for digging in and solving it!
I don't think it is something we will see only on Japan made model. I believe this is how they build the Rav. The tricky part when adding insulation will be to have it applied to the the inner panel as what you see in my picture is not the back of the metal door where you normally want to apply this stuff.

I mean, you can pop the white cover off but you have the break the rivets for that and that should give you plenty of room to apply the insulator.

·
Premium Member
7,910 Posts

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You'll likely find spray-on sound deadener on the inside of the outer door skin that's similar to what you see in the spare tire well, I plan on adding 2mm Damplifier Pro to the front doors and under the front carpet. Thanks for the tutorial!

https://www.rav4world.com/forums/124-4-4-interior/261897-noise-dampening-project-2.html#post2402601
Nop, I've already looked inside and there is nothing at all other than that white silicone to cover the welds. They really cheaped out on insulation.

·
Premium Member
7,910 Posts
Nop, I've already looked inside and there is nothing at all other than that white silicone to cover the welds. They really cheaped out on insulation.
Maybe a plus, the butyl sound deadener should stick good then!!

·
Registered
160 Posts
You'll likely find spray-on sound deadener on the inside of the outer door skin that's similar to what you see in the spare tire well, I plan on adding 2mm Damplifier Pro to the front doors and under the front carpet. Thanks for the tutorial!

https://www.rav4world.com/forums/124-4-4-interior/261897-noise-dampening-project-2.html#post2402601
To clarify, you looked under the outer skin also?

·
Registered
478 Posts
Good job on that mirror! Curiosity is the BEST tool of the DIY mechanic.

My trim tool set came from Amazon. Invaluable for the DIYer. Allowed me to safely repair my rear window washer tubing that had become detached inside the rear quarter panel:
$27.99 Trim and Panel Removal Tools , 14Pcs Auto Upholstery Fastener Tools Clip Plier Set Fastener Remover for Automotive , Marine , and Aircraft
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074N4SS4N/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

·
Registered
293 Posts
I finally decided to open up my door panel in order to look at what could be causing my mirror to vibrate and though that while doing it, i might as well write a quick how to remove door panel. A quick spoiler, i found and fixed my vibrating mirror 
You will need a small flat head, a #2 Philips and a trim removing tool. Sorry for the pics, I didn't know how to directly attach them.

Step 1: Using your trim removing tool, pop-out the power window trim. Be gentle. Unclip the power connector afterward. View attachment 125071

Step 2: Using the same tool, remove the small trim around the door handle. Behind this you should find a screw that need’s to be removed with your Philips screw driver. View attachment 125073

Step 3: Now, you can remove the side rubber style fascia. To do so, there is a small insert where my finger is pointing where you can insert a flat head screwdriver. Gently pry it of. After make your way with a trim removing tool and gently pop-out the remaining holding clips. View attachment 125079

Step 4: There are 2 screws holding this panel and they are located where you pull the door to close it. They are into the circle opening. There is a final screw to the far right. (See picture) View attachment 125081

Step 5: Using your trim removing tool and starting on the bottom left of the door (there is an insert) slowly and gently start prying the door panel off. You need to be really gentle to not break the retaining clips. You should hear some obvious pop when one of those clips release. Once they are all released, remove the door panel upward.

Here is what the inside of our doors looks like. As you can see, there is no insulation at all, no anti vibration pad and we were wondering why the Rav4 felt noisy. I know I'll be installing some insulation on my own when it gets warmer outside. View attachment 125075

Now to my final issue, my mirror. When i started inspecting, i found 2/3 screws that are holding my mirror to have become lose. I also found a random screw on the door it self that was tighten 2/10 probably. After tighting these bolts. My vibration is now gone !!!! The screws where located behind that black housing and the random one was on the top of the panel. View attachment 125083 View attachment 125077

What I've learned from this is that my Rav was probably built on a Friday.
Great photo's you took, I can see how to replace my door speakers , if I choose to up-grade those someday....:D

·
Registered
24 Posts
I did what you are doing to a 2010 Corvette except we removed everything in the interior. The one area where we heard the biggest impact on noise reduction was the doors. We did the inner walls of the door as well as the outer skin that is covered by the door panel/arm rest. It was tough working around the window mechanisms/ tracks but worth the effort. One added benefit was how much it helped the sound of the stereo. BIG difference. I may do our Rav but will probably wait and see if the wife complains about the noise!
Good luck.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Great Post. Thank you for showing us that. Would you please provide us if possible about the size of the speakers. I am looking for removing the door panel to install new speakers. The OEM factory speakers are sucks and they are hardly producing any sounds.

Thank you

·
Registered
478 Posts
Good job taking the initiative to DIY this annoyance! My rear-window washer fluid nozzle wasn't spraying anything-- it only took me NINE YEARS to troubleshoot it DIY, and fix it. !!!

Reactions: hornedfrog
1 - 20 of 54 Posts