Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
You'll likely find spray-on sound deadener on the inside of the outer door skin that's similar to what you see in the spare tire well, I plan on adding 2mm Damplifier Pro to the front doors and under the front carpet. Thanks for the tutorial!

https://www.rav4world.com/forums/124-4-4-interior/261897-noise-dampening-project-2.html#post2402601
Where would you apply the sound Damplifier. On the inter metal skin or behind that. If behind how do you reach that area. If you have to break off the white plastic how do you replace it. Also if it worth replacing the speakers when you have that panel off. I have a limited with the JBL package and i would love to try to increase the bass notes. Wondering if it would be worth it to replace the door speakers.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Where would you apply the sound Damplifier. On the inter metal skin or behind that. If behind how do you reach that area. If you have to break off the white plastic how do you replace it. Also if it worth replacing the speakers when you have that panel off. I have a limited with the JBL package and i would love to try to increase the bass notes. Wondering if it would be worth it to replace the door speakers.
Curious on the speaker's as well. Are they screwed in or rivited?

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I added deadner to both. Speakers are 6.5 if i recal and are rivetted in place.

I had the basic LE model without the JBL and bass note increased a lot after the sound deadening.

·
Registered
4 Posts
How did you figure out the mirror was rattling? I have something that rattles as well but can’t seem to figure out what is loose. The rattle only happens when accelerating from about 20-30 km/hr (12-19 mph)

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
How did you figure out the mirror was rattling? I have something that rattles as well but can’t seem to figure out what is loose. The rattle only happens when accelerating from about 20-30 km/hr (12-19 mph)
It was quite obvious, windows down, I'd hold the mirror with my hand to have the sound stop. My sound came every time I'd hit uneven road.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I’m going to look into this problem. Just when shutting my doors (even the back ones) the mirrors loudly vibrate shake. I don’t think it’s the plastic outside but the inside components. I was on a long road trip on not perfect highways and the shaking mirror was annoying. Would bringing my xse to the local dealer be the best route? Or phoning someone

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I’m going to look into this problem. Just when shutting my doors (even the back ones) the mirrors loudly vibrate shake. I don’t think it’s the plastic outside but the inside components. I was on a long road trip on not perfect highways and the shaking mirror was annoying. Would bringing my xse to the local dealer be the best route? Or phoning someone
Dealer will probably tell you that they all do it and they are waiting on a fix from toyota.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I appreciate the write up and photos.

Anecdote for anyone encountering the thread:

My driver's mirror has been buzzing/rattling and driving me nuts. I took it into the dealer, they "fixed it" for one day, then the noise came back. I took the interior trim panel off and the mirror mount bolts are tight. When my mirror is half folded in, no noise. When in normal position, you can recreate the rattle. I think it is something in the mirror itself, maybe a spring or something. But it isn't a mount bolt tightness issue on my particular RAV.

Looks like it will be another likely waste of time dealer visit for me. Because I have nothing better to do that to take a relatively new car to the shop and sit in a lounge.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Dealership: "it is normal"

Really means: no it is not normal, but we are not interested in doing warranty work because it does not bring much revenue.

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
7,841 Posts
I appreciate the write up and photos.

Anecdote for anyone encountering the thread:

My driver's mirror has been buzzing/rattling and driving me nuts. I took it into the dealer, they "fixed it" for one day, then the noise came back. I took the interior trim panel off and the mirror mount bolts are tight. When my mirror is half folded in, no noise. When in normal position, you can recreate the rattle. I think it is something in the mirror itself, maybe a spring or something. But it isn't a mount bolt tightness issue on my particular RAV.

Looks like it will be another likely waste of time dealer visit for me. Because I have nothing better to do that to take a relatively new car to the shop and sit in a lounge.
If I had the same experience with the mirror, I'd be removing the mirror housing to find out what's loose and fix it myself, fortunately mine hasn't been a problem which should mean yours can be fixed.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
If I had the same experience with the mirror, I'd be removing the mirror housing to find out what's loose and fix it myself, fortunately mine hasn't been a problem which should mean yours can be fixed.
There is not much in there that could rattle. I remember opening the mirror by removing the plastic painted part and other than a huge plastic trim, you cant see anything. I was too scared of breaking something when i took it apart.

Also, bsm light will go on if you turn car on and mirror is unplugged.
Obvious i know but still fyi. Lignt goes off when plugged back.

·
Premium Member
7,841 Posts
There is not much in there that could rattle. I remember opening the mirror by removing the plastic painted part and other than a huge plastic trim, you cant see anything. I was too scared of breaking something when i took it apart.
If the dealer can stop the rattle for a day, a more permanent fix should be possible.

My driver's mirror has been buzzing/rattling and driving me nuts. I took it into the dealer, they "fixed it" for one day, then the noise came back.

·
Registered
145 Posts
If the dealer can stop the rattle for a day, a more permanent fix should be possible.
I should have been more specific. The day basically involved the trip home from the dealer. Picked up the car, noise seemed to be gone, did not notice it, drove 3 or 4 miles home. RAV parked overnight. Noticed the noise again at some point the next day when I had to drive somewhere.

I probably only shut the door 3 or 4 times from picking up the car to noticing the noise again. Maybe it was fixed, maybe my perception was that it was fixed.

Anyway, my issue isn't related to the mirror being loose on the door as some have reported. That being said, hopefully you're right, and they can fix it. I'm making another appointment today. For some reason this one issue is really annoying me. The fuel tank fill problem bothers me less.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
I should have been more specific. The day basically involved the trip home from the dealer. Picked up the car, noise seemed to be gone, did not notice it, drove 3 or 4 miles home. RAV parked overnight. Noticed the noise again at some point the next day when I had to drive somewhere.

I probably only shut the door 3 or 4 times from picking up the car to noticing the noise again. Maybe it was fixed, maybe my perception was that it was fixed.

Anyway, my issue isn't related to the mirror being loose on the door as some have reported. That being said, hopefully you're right, and they can fix it. I'm making another appointment today. For some reason this one issue is really annoying me. The fuel tank fill problem bothers me less.
Well I was able to fix my gas LE cause of the lose screw, but it still rattle from time to time as well as vibrate a bit on highway. My Hybrid LE however, the mirror are rock solid and don't even move on the highway. So there is def something wrong with people that have rattles or vibration on their mirror, since based on my experience, well they all do it. Hoping for you they can fix it perm.

21 - 40 of 54 Posts