Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

Guide to removing door panel (Quest to fixing my rattling mirror)

50K views 53 replies 25 participants last post by  lzjzl 
#1 ·
I finally decided to open up my door panel in order to look at what could be causing my mirror to vibrate and though that while doing it, i might as well write a quick how to remove door panel. A quick spoiler, i found and fixed my vibrating mirror 
You will need a small flat head, a #2 Philips and a trim removing tool. Sorry for the pics, I didn't know how to directly attach them.

Step 1: Using your trim removing tool, pop-out the power window trim. Be gentle. Unclip the power connector afterward. Vehicle Car Vehicle door Steering wheel

Step 2: Using the same tool, remove the small trim around the door handle. Behind this you should find a screw that need’s to be removed with your Philips screw driver. Car Vehicle Vehicle door Automotive exterior Family car

Step 3: Now, you can remove the side rubber style fascia. To do so, there is a small insert where my finger is pointing where you can insert a flat head screwdriver. Gently pry it of. After make your way with a trim removing tool and gently pop-out the remaining holding clips. Automotive design Bumper Automotive exterior Vehicle door Helmet

Step 4: There are 2 screws holding this panel and they are located where you pull the door to close it. They are into the circle opening. There is a final screw to the far right. (See picture) Vehicle Car Vehicle door Toyota

Step 5: Using your trim removing tool and starting on the bottom left of the door (there is an insert) slowly and gently start prying the door panel off. You need to be really gentle to not break the retaining clips. You should hear some obvious pop when one of those clips release. Once they are all released, remove the door panel upward.

Here is what the inside of our doors looks like. As you can see, there is no insulation at all, no anti vibration pad and we were wondering why the Rav4 felt noisy. I know I'll be installing some insulation on my own when it gets warmer outside. Vehicle door Engine Vehicle Auto part Car

Now to my final issue, my mirror. When i started inspecting, i found 2/3 screws that are holding my mirror to have become lose. I also found a random screw on the door it self that was tighten 2/10 probably. After tighting these bolts. My vibration is now gone !!!! The screws where located behind that black housing and the random one was on the top of the panel. Vehicle door Engine Vehicle Auto part Car
Auto part Exhaust system Metal Steel Gas

What I've learned from this is that my Rav was probably built on a Friday.

See less See more
#5 ·
Great post. Where’d you get your trim remover tool? I’d be interested in loctighting all of these loose screws and adding some dynamat myself, at least in the front doors.

I have one from Harbor Freight and one from an LED set I bought...
What exactly am I looking for? Is this essentially a plastic knife/wedge? I have as many tools as any dad but I’ve never specifically bought a trim remover.

#3 ·
HOLY........

If thats how its coming from Japan....

This post needs stickied. I really wish we had a mod forum so we could have individual threads for topics versus searching a big huge thread for info.

Oh and PROPS to you for digging in and solving it!

#7 ·
I don't think it is something we will see only on Japan made model. I believe this is how they build the Rav. The tricky part when adding insulation will be to have it applied to the the inner panel as what you see in my picture is not the back of the metal door where you normally want to apply this stuff.

I mean, you can pop the white cover off but you have the break the rivets for that and that should give you plenty of room to apply the insulator.

#8 · (Edited)
#15 ·
Good job on that mirror! Curiosity is the BEST tool of the DIY mechanic.

My trim tool set came from Amazon. Invaluable for the DIYer. Allowed me to safely repair my rear window washer tubing that had become detached inside the rear quarter panel:
$27.99 Trim and Panel Removal Tools , 14Pcs Auto Upholstery Fastener Tools Clip Plier Set Fastener Remover for Automotive , Marine , and Aircraft
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074N4SS4N/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

#16 ·
I finally decided to open up my door panel in order to look at what could be causing my mirror to vibrate and though that while doing it, i might as well write a quick how to remove door panel. A quick spoiler, i found and fixed my vibrating mirror 
You will need a small flat head, a #2 Philips and a trim removing tool. Sorry for the pics, I didn't know how to directly attach them.

Step 1: Using your trim removing tool, pop-out the power window trim. Be gentle. Unclip the power connector afterward. View attachment 125071

Step 2: Using the same tool, remove the small trim around the door handle. Behind this you should find a screw that need’s to be removed with your Philips screw driver. View attachment 125073

Step 3: Now, you can remove the side rubber style fascia. To do so, there is a small insert where my finger is pointing where you can insert a flat head screwdriver. Gently pry it of. After make your way with a trim removing tool and gently pop-out the remaining holding clips. View attachment 125079

Step 4: There are 2 screws holding this panel and they are located where you pull the door to close it. They are into the circle opening. There is a final screw to the far right. (See picture) View attachment 125081

Step 5: Using your trim removing tool and starting on the bottom left of the door (there is an insert) slowly and gently start prying the door panel off. You need to be really gentle to not break the retaining clips. You should hear some obvious pop when one of those clips release. Once they are all released, remove the door panel upward.

Here is what the inside of our doors looks like. As you can see, there is no insulation at all, no anti vibration pad and we were wondering why the Rav4 felt noisy. I know I'll be installing some insulation on my own when it gets warmer outside. View attachment 125075

Now to my final issue, my mirror. When i started inspecting, i found 2/3 screws that are holding my mirror to have become lose. I also found a random screw on the door it self that was tighten 2/10 probably. After tighting these bolts. My vibration is now gone !!!! The screws where located behind that black housing and the random one was on the top of the panel. View attachment 125083 View attachment 125077

Great photo's you took, I can see how to replace my door speakers , if I choose to up-grade those someday....:D

#17 ·
I did what you are doing to a 2010 Corvette except we removed everything in the interior. The one area where we heard the biggest impact on noise reduction was the doors. We did the inner walls of the door as well as the outer skin that is covered by the door panel/arm rest. It was tough working around the window mechanisms/ tracks but worth the effort. One added benefit was how much it helped the sound of the stereo. BIG difference. I may do our Rav but will probably wait and see if the wife complains about the noise!
Good luck.

#20 ·
Good job taking the initiative to DIY this annoyance! My rear-window washer fluid nozzle wasn't spraying anything-- it only took me NINE YEARS to troubleshoot it DIY, and fix it. !!!

Reactions: hornedfrog
#28 ·
I’m going to look into this problem. Just when shutting my doors (even the back ones) the mirrors loudly vibrate shake. I don’t think it’s the plastic outside but the inside components. I was on a long road trip on not perfect highways and the shaking mirror was annoying. Would bringing my xse to the local dealer be the best route? Or phoning someone

#33 ·
I appreciate the write up and photos.

Anecdote for anyone encountering the thread:

My driver's mirror has been buzzing/rattling and driving me nuts. I took it into the dealer, they "fixed it" for one day, then the noise came back. I took the interior trim panel off and the mirror mount bolts are tight. When my mirror is half folded in, no noise. When in normal position, you can recreate the rattle. I think it is something in the mirror itself, maybe a spring or something. But it isn't a mount bolt tightness issue on my particular RAV.

Looks like it will be another likely waste of time dealer visit for me. Because I have nothing better to do that to take a relatively new car to the shop and sit in a lounge.

#35 ·
I appreciate the write up and photos.

Anecdote for anyone encountering the thread:

My driver's mirror has been buzzing/rattling and driving me nuts. I took it into the dealer, they "fixed it" for one day, then the noise came back. I took the interior trim panel off and the mirror mount bolts are tight. When my mirror is half folded in, no noise. When in normal position, you can recreate the rattle. I think it is something in the mirror itself, maybe a spring or something. But it isn't a mount bolt tightness issue on my particular RAV.

Looks like it will be another likely waste of time dealer visit for me. Because I have nothing better to do that to take a relatively new car to the shop and sit in a lounge.
If I had the same experience with the mirror, I'd be removing the mirror housing to find out what's loose and fix it myself, fortunately mine hasn't been a problem which should mean yours can be fixed.

#44 ·
Anyone know the trick to removing this black piece? On the driver door and trying to get in there to check out tight the mirror bolts are. I took the screw out but can’t seem to figure out the trick and trying not to break it. Thanks!
View attachment 152195
In the absence of screws or bolts securing it in place (look carefully)-- use your nylon trim tools to work it loose from the inevitable plastic tabs holding it in place. Amazon trim & panel removal tools: great investment for doing exactly what you're attempting, as here:

Amazon.com: GEHUAY Trim and Panel Removal Tools, 19Pcs Auto Upholstery Fastener Tools Clip Plier Set Fastener Remover for Automotive, Marine, and Aircraft: Garden & Outdoor

#46 ·
Hi all, I have been tracking this issue for months now. I bought a 2020 Rav4 TRD Off Road, fully loaded, in January of 2020. My Rav4 has excessive mirror vibration/shake/rattle anytime I drive over the smallest bumps (the tar lines in the road, lane markers, small cracks, etc. etc) an when driving at speed if there is buffeting by the wind. Both the driver and passenger side mirror produce the same level of vibration/shake/rattle. I drive the car on a daily basis and find the vibration/shake/rattle so incredibly distracting that I cannot focus on driving, let alone "enjoy the driving experience".

I have taken in the car once to have the dealer look at it, and I got the whole "it is normal/like model comparison" explanation and no offer to help fix the issue.

Since then I have completely dismantled the driver’s side door and mirror (and will be posting pictures of the whole thing in the near future}. Unfortunately, everything that I have done has not helped, despite some other users stating that they had loose screws and tightening screws and nuts resolved the issue, it has not helped in my vehicle.

My initial analysis is that the mirror assembly and the mounting in the door are just a poor design that are not rigid enough.

Has anyone had any further progress on getting the issue resolved?

#47 ·
It's not poor design. It is "normal" design. Toyota upgraded this door mirror design from their previous door mirror designs to increase your safety by providing you an enhanced perspective of your surroundings. I'm more concerned about the vehicles that aren't operating normally and don't vibrate. If it rattles, that's just to remind you to use your vibrating mirror - much like an audible alert when a door isn't closed. There are days when I'll drive a whole 2 blocks and not even use my mirrors. This is dangerous. I wish I had vibrating mirrors to remind me to use them - for my own safety and the safety of others.. By 2022, Toyota is planning to launch all new models with this design as part of Toyota's Safety Sense.

#48 ·
Somewhere in this thread somebody talked about the (manual) folding mechanism being the vibration culprit. Try wedging something in there or slightly folding the side mirror and see if it makes a difference in vibration level. Then report back please. I’m waiting for a Rav4 Prime and I expect it has the same side mirror design.

#52 ·

Step 1: Using your trim removing tool, pop-out the power window trim. Be gentle. Unclip the power connector afterward. View attachment 125071

Step 2: Using the same tool, remove the small trim around the door handle. Behind this you should find a screw that need’s to be removed with your Philips screw driver. View attachment 125073

Step 3: Now, you can remove the side rubber style fascia. To do so, there is a small insert where my finger is pointing where you can insert a flat head screwdriver. Gently pry it of. After make your way with a trim removing tool and gently pop-out the remaining holding clips. View attachment 125079

Step 4: There are 2 screws holding this panel and they are located where you pull the door to close it. They are into the circle opening. There is a final screw to the far right. (See picture) View attachment 125081

Here is what the inside of our doors looks like. As you can see, there is no insulation at all, no anti vibration pad and we were wondering why the Rav4 felt noisy. I know I'll be installing some insulation on my own when it gets warmer outside. View attachment 125075

Now to my final issue, my mirror. When i started inspecting, i found 2/3 screws that are holding my mirror to have become lose. I also found a random screw on the door it self that was tighten 2/10 probably. After tighting these bolts. My vibration is now gone !!!! The screws where located behind that black housing and the random one was on the top of the panel. View attachment 125083 View attachment 125077

How do you get behind the "black housing"?

#53 · (Edited)
I want to do a big write up, but life is getting in the way. Here are some pics for you all. I have taken apart everything that support the mirror and put it back together and tightening it more than I should have and thread locking the questionable parts. I have even increased the spring tension on the folding mirror and I still have the vibration.

Note the vibration is significantly worse when the car has been sitting in the sun (aka stuff is getting hot and expanding).

My 2 cents as an engineer. The sheet metal brackets that the mirror mounts to are not rigid enough to prevent the whole mirror and brackets from flexing.

Comments are below each picture. I followed this video () to get to the below. I have taken the mirror completely off twice now with no issues.

Door interior panel removed, all gaskets removed.

The three mounting bolts that mount the mirror. Mine were tight the first time I took the door apart.

The bolt that Sunken showed that was loose. Mine was tight.

The bracket that the mirror mounts too.

Another view. The bracket is a massive cantilever.

Another view from the top.

The mirror removed. The mounting screws thread into the plastic (glass filled nylon?) structure of the mirror. See next pics. Note, that these screws were not as tight as they could have been. I addressed that later.

Another view. You have to remove the red tape to get the gasket off.

The internals. I do not advise you to go this far, as the plastic fascia surrounding the mirror is very fragile. Somehow I managed not to break anything.

Note the tab locations...and how to flimsy they are!

See next post......

#54 · (Edited)
Continued from above

Note the 3 screws (Torx 25) where not very tight. I addressed that later.

I skipped a few steps, but by taking off the plastic cover on the top of the mirror you have access to the spring that provides tension for the folding mechanism. In order to remove the washer holding it compressed, you need to be able to compress the spring about 1/4" or so then rotate the silver washer. I did this my make a custom 3D printed fixture of sorts combined with some long wood working clamps. Sorry I didn't get any pictures, it was not pretty, but it worked. If anyone is interested I can provide more pics and 3D files if they want.

Mirror folding mechanism internals. The yellow stuff is grease. The 3 flat "pads" are where the mirror slides for the folding functions. I definitely think it could use more surface area.

The other side of the sliding surfaces. Note, that when you rotate the mirror, it causes the whole mirror to "lift" allowing the little "castle" parts to not mesh together and then slide/rotate.

When I put it back together I put a 2mm spacer to give more tension on the spring. I tried to go for 3mm, but it wouldnt fit. Once again a 3D printed spacer.

Another view.

I thread locked all the screws that I removed and tightened them back up. The 3 internal screws show several images above, and the 3 shown here.

Despite all of this my mirror vibrates anytime hit any bumps. As I mentioned before, it is significantly worse when it is hot.

A little Slo-Mo action for you when I close the door. Be patient, it is a little slow to start.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.