Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We got a RAV4 LE 2017 a couple of days ago.
I see the manual mentions the camera as "back camera with projected path"
But, I don't see any guide lines other than the three horizontal lines (Red yellow and green)

Is there any way I can enable the guide lines that change when the steering is being turned ?

·
Premium Member
7,942 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
We got a RAV4 LE 2017 a couple of days ago.
I see the manual mentions the camera as "back camera with projected path"
But, I don't see any guide lines other than the three horizontal lines (Red yellow and green)

Is there any way I can enable the guide lines that change when the steering is being turned ?
Yes, they can be turned on and off, and there are several choices found in the settings. I changed mine when I first got it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There's a TSB update that fixes a laundry list of issues that may help, it's down in the TSB section. I've had my backup camera become inoperative a few times, just didn't display when in reverse gear, hasn't happened since the update, so it would be worth having your dealer check it out if your software isn't the latest version. Here's another thread on the issue that may help.

Thank you for the info Quickdtoo. Will try this.

Yes, they can be turned on and off, and there are several choices found in the settings. I changed mine when I first got it.
Thank you KJPAT08. Do I need to update the software or anything to enable these features.
Mine is LE and I think it is Entune audio console something.

·
Registered
428 Posts
There's a TSB update that fixes a laundry list of issues that may help, it's down in the TSB section. I've had my backup camera become inoperative a few times, just didn't display when in reverse gear, hasn't happened since the update, so it would be worth having your dealer check it out if your software isn't the latest version. Here's another thread on the issue that may help.

Thank you for the info Quickdtoo. Will try this.

Thank you KJPAT08. Do I need to update the software or anything to enable these features.
Mine is LE and I think it is Entune audio console something.
That I'm not sure of, but being a 2017 I doubt you need to update. My late 2016 has had no problems. I have stock Entune radio and have it working correctly. The sequence to get there is.

From Entune screen.
Apps
Setup
> (arrow right to)
Vehicle
Backup Camera Guide Line Settings

Then select the mode you want.
Mine allows 3 selection options.

Hope that helps.
Kevin

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That I'm not sure of, but being a 2017 I doubt you need to update. My late 2016 has had no problems. I have stock Entune radio and have it working correctly. The sequence to get there is.

From Entune screen.
Apps
Setup
> (arrow right to)
Vehicle
Backup Camera Guide Line Settings

Then select the mode you want.
Mine allows 3 selection options.

Hope that helps.
Kevin
I think, I made a mistake chosing 2017 LE...
The console is outdated. Please find the same in the pictures.
There is no APP button on it. :frown

20170227_211327.jpg

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes that is different than mine. Did you try to find this using your Setup button?
The setup has only two options. One is for for some display and one is for camera.
When I select camera, I see only brightness and contrast.

My 2017 LE backup camera has gridlines. The console isn't outdated, it's just different from the higher end models. I'm sure it's just a setting.
May be I confused you all by saying guide lines. What I wanted is the guide lines that are yellow in color that show the path when the steering is being operated.
I see only red and blue, 3 box lines

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,732 Posts
May be I confused you all by saying guide lines. What I wanted is the guide lines that are yellow in color that show the path when the steering is being operated.
I see only red and blue, 3 box lines
The only Toyota that I know of that has backup lines that move with the steering is the Avalon.

·
Registered
428 Posts
The only Toyota that I know of that has backup lines that move with the steering is the Avalon.
My 2016 RAV has it. I hated it and turned it off. As you turn the lines do too and show where you are going. I found them distracting and just the single bumper line gives a better less distracting view for me.

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
Pretty much all models do. I think its part of the "parking assist" feature. Might be limited to models with the upgraded head unit.
I've had it in my '13 Prius and in the '16 Rav4.

·
Premium Member
7,942 Posts
The setup has only two options. One is for for some display and one is for camera.
When I select camera, I see only brightness and contrast.
The ignition has to be on to see the backup camera guideline setting in Apps> Setup> Vehicle> Backup Camera Guide Line Settings, doesn't show if just in the accessory position as many settings do, I'd expect the LE Entune system to be the same if it has the option.

Mine has the yellow lines that show the projected path that changes with steering input.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I don't have the same exact head unit, however, I had a similar issue when I received my Limited. No matter what setting I selected, it would not show the guidance lines. I thought this was very strange because before I ordered the car, I test drove another limited and the guidance lines were present the whole time. I ended up resolving my issue by following a bit complex, but apparently necessary step in calibrating the car. These are the steps I followed:

Step 1: Enter the diagnostic menu for the display system. You do this by turning on the vehicle (but do not start the engine) So either turn the key to the first notch or just press the Power On button and not stepping on the brake (if you have push button start). Hold the "Audio" button on your the main console, then turn the light on/off 3 times. You should hear a distinctive beep, that means you've activated diagnostic mode, let go of the audio button. And the menu should appear.

Step 2: After you've entered the menu, you can then see the settings on the screen. "Camera Setting" will be grayed out. You should now proceed to start the engine (and it should no longer be grayed out)

Step 3: Select "Steering Angle Setting"

There will be two buttons on the screen "Steering Center Memorize" and "Max Steering Angle Memorize"

Step 4: Make sure the steering wheel is in the straight ahead position, and press "Steering Center Memorize"

Step 5: Turn the steering wheel all the way to the left and press "Max Steering Angle Memorize"

Step 6: Turn the steering wheel all the way to the right and press "Max Steering Angle Memorize"

The system should then "Beep" and return you to the previous menu

Turn off the vehicle and the next time you start it, it should no longer be in diagnostic mode.

Make sure to select the first option in the Vehicle: "Back Camera Guide Line Settting" in the "Vehicle Settings" portion of the standard menus

This restored the guidance lines on the reverse camera and bird's eye camera, and it's been working ever since. It may not be the same thing you are having an issue with, but these steps did fix my issue, and it sounds pretty similar to yours. There's nothing to lose and only guidance lines to gain!

·
Registered
232 Posts
I have a 2013 Limited without those yellow lines on the display when backing up.

Do any of you know if those yellow lines can be activated on the Rav4 2013?

I tried the steps ocunneely mentioned above, I see the camera button grayed out.

Everything goes well until I start the vehicle, the display turns as it normally does.
So can't go forward from there.

Sent From the Edge of the Seventh Galaxy

·
Registered
232 Posts
I had a Rav4 2017 XLE loaner for a week and it did have those yellow lines.
You don't have to have them if you haven't use them, but it's nice to have them if you already did and got used to them.

Sent From the Edge of the Seventh Galaxy

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi,

Thanks for the detailed steps. I just bought the 2017 XLE model with no navigation. The yellow lines did not appear. According to the dealer's technicians the yellow guidelines only show on RAV's that have the navigation system. I think I'd still like to the method you outlined and see. I wonder if anyone can confirm what Toyota is saying. Thanks much.

Gustavo

·
Premium Member
7,942 Posts
The US 2017 Rav4 ebrochure shows the LE and XLE have static guide lines unless included in a package for the XLE which then has dynamic guide lines, SE, Ltd and Platinum and all Hybrids include dynamic guide lines as standard, not sure on the LE Plus, it's not shown.

https://www.toyota.com/rav4/ebrochure

1 - 20 of 27 Posts