Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wonder if the 2006 RAV4 is using a H4 bulb. So that I can still use my RAYBRIG 5000k bulb.

·
Super Moderator
1,566 Posts
Re: H4 headlight bulb for 4.3?

rav4energie said:
I wonder if the 2006 RAV4 is using a H4 bulb. So that I can still use my RAYBRIG 5000k bulb.
I checked Sylvania and GE's websites and neither of them even list 2006's yet.

Someone that owns a 2006 could look it up in their owners manual for ya! (hint, hint) :D

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Basically, you are retrofitting a HID (High Intensity Discharge) lights from a donor car such as BMW, etc.. You need to remove the light projectors and ballasts from the donor car. Then open up your RAVs headlights and fit it in. This is where the creative part comes in, because it will not be a perfect fit. There is a lot of cutting and custom fabricating for it to work. Then once it is on your car, it needs to be adjusted.

It's a lot of hard work and $$$$, but the end results pay off. :D

Check out my CarDomain page on picts. of the install:

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/683136/3

The reason I mentioned about the 9005/9006 set up is because the BMW HID projectors that I have accepts those same bulbs. The 9006 powers the HID ballasts and the 9006 the high beams.

You can also check out the other pages on my site for other mods. done too.

Hopefully, Toyota will offer some form of HID headlights onto the RAV soon. I've seen them on the Celica and Prius already.

·
Super Moderator
1,566 Posts
Derek said:
Hopefully, Toyota will offer some form of HID headlights onto the RAV soon. I've seen them on the Celica and Prius already.
They're available in Japan, so we know they exist...

"Projector type discharge headlight
(Low-beam automatic leveling function you attach)"

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
if they're available in japan then it can be ordered from japan no? no complicated custom retrofitting or anything, just a swap.

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
I change out my low beams to PIAA but coulsnt not get access to the fof lights. After reading the manual, the fod lights are to be service by Toyota only. Now my low beam and the fog lights don't match. :cry: :x

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Fog Light Replacement?

Fog light bulb replacement by Toyota Service Tech only?? What they X%#* are they trying to do? I can't beleive that the bulbs can't be changed by the owner. They don't think we can drive so they don't give us a manual transmission and they design the lights so we can't change the bulbs??

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
I couldnt even get to the fog lights, they were in a enclosed compartment. I look in the owner's manual and somewhere in there it said to go to the dealer to perform service on the fog light or risk the danger of causing damage to your vehicle or something to the effect.

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
I am sure if there is a will, there is a way, but I really dont want to take apart my wife's brand new car just to change out to a whiter fog light bulb. Perhap someday, someone here will get a hold of a 06 RAV4 service manual and post the instruction on how to change out the fog light bulbs.

·
Registered
191 Posts
TCC Mechanic Bob Weber

One expensive bulb

Q--Since when is changing a headlight bulb a major job? The dealer claims the front bumper has to be taken off of my Nissan Maxima to replace the headlight (bulb) at a cost of $250. I have checked with local repair shops and they have no experience to date so they couldn't confirm that the bumper has to be taken off to replace the bulb. I can't believe a manufacturer would engineer a car in such a manner. Can you confirm that the bumper has to be removed to replace the bulb?

A--I couldn't believe it either, so I contacted Nissan. The bad news is that the price you were quoted is probably about right, depending on local labor rates. As you probably know, carmakers must strike a balance between manufacturing, service, recyclability, cost, and so on. Obviously, serviceability got the short end of the stick this time. All I can say is that smart automobile manufacturers listen to their customers.
---------------------------------

I hope Toyota didn't sell out like Nissan and trap their owners into 'dealer only' service items :twisted:

Ravon 8)
(Ray von)

1 - 20 of 45 Posts