Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Was out with the family today in our new 2017 rav4, got a little over 900 miles on it to date, with a beautiful spring day today went out for a drive. A slow moving pickup with all kinds of junk in the box was 2 ahead of me and the driver/car in front was happy to follow this truck, i got got a chance to pull out and pass.

This is the first time i ever tried this with this car today and was i in for a surprise. I got on the accelerator pedal and the engine just hit the upper revs and the vehicle didnt do anything, just the engine revved like crazy. :surprise:surprise I backed off the throttle and the engines rpm's dropped but i was still out in the other lane and tried again, this time not flooring it, i got around the 2 vehicles but have no idea what happened there.

The engine just revved and i didnt move, it(transmission) never kicked down, nothing, this cant be normal or is it something that i have enabled such as eco mode or something?? I never tried flooring it again like that as i didnt have an opportunity, the vehicle runs and seems normal and trans shifting seems fine, engine is fine, so what could have happened?

This has never happened to me before in any vehicle ive owned, im writing and asking only because it was definitely a "pucker moment" to find out that nothing is happening here and im out in the other lane. Otherwise, the barcelona red sure did look pretty today in the sunshine, i like our new rav4, just learning some of its character a bit at a time.

Cheers!

·
Registered
202 Posts
The 2ARFE is under powered for its displacement. 200HP would have been ideal.

·
Super Moderator
11,099 Posts
Is it a CVT or a geared transmission?

·
Premium Member
7,936 Posts
Is it a CVT or a geared transmission?
'17 LE with 6-speed auto.

http://www.rav4world.com/forums/91-member-introductions/248625-hello-everyone.html#post2288705

Just inked the papers on my very first Toyota, Its a 2017 Barcelona Red LE AWD. Nothing real fancy but it has everything i was looking for, it will be an addition and used as a daily driver, the vehicle will be ready for me this tuesday afternoon and off to my friends shop for an oil spray. Look forward to interacting with you all here, thanks for having me, see you in the forums.

Kris:cheers:

·
Premium Member
7,936 Posts
If the engine wasn't at normal operating temp, you won't have full throttle availability, it just doesn't allow it, if it was at normal operating temp, something is wrong, I never had issues with passing with my '15 Ltd, it certainly doesn't pass like a V6 4.3, but I had no problems passing slower traffic given safe conditions(50-70mph is 5.7 secs). Using sport mode helped, much better throttle response than eco and a bit better than normal mode.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If the engine wasn't at normal operating temp, you won't have full throttle availability, it just doesn't allow it, if it was at normal operating temp, something is wrong, I never had issues with passing with my '15 Ltd, it certainly doesn't pass like a V6 4.3, but I had no problems passing slower traffic given safe conditions(50-70mph is 5.7 secs). Using sport mode helped, much better throttle response than eco and a bit better than normal mode.
We were well into the drive, at least 30 miles in, everything had to be well into normal operating temps by then, like i mentioned, i have never done this type of acceleration with this new car before.

When i jumped on the accelerator, the engine rpms seemed like they just took off and the vehicle never did anything, no downshift, nothing, just revved. I let off the accelerator and eased back into it and everything seemed o,k i guess. Ill keep an eye on this and see if this happens again(when i get a chance). Was curious to see if this is common while in eco mode, never had a vehicle that had an eco mode option, thanks to everyone for your replies. Bye for now.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
We were well into the drive, at least 30 miles in, everything had to be well into normal operating temps by then, like i mentioned, i have never done this type of acceleration with this new car before.

When i jumped on the accelerator, the engine rpms seemed like they just took off and the vehicle never did anything, no downshift, nothing, just revved. I let off the accelerator and eased back into it and everything seemed o,k i guess. Ill keep an eye on this and see if this happens again(when i get a chance). Was curious to see if this is common while in eco mode, never had a vehicle that had an eco mode option, thanks to everyone for your replies. Bye for now.
so basically it's like the torque converter was slipping?

I would find a stretch of empty road and floor it a couple of times to see if you can reproduce it... if not it's gonna be hard proving to the dealership there is a problem...

·
Super Moderator
10,127 Posts
Sounds like it effectively shifted into neutral or a low gear. Is there ANY possibility the shift lever got bumped. Happened to me once when a friend was moving around somehow in the passenger seat and bumped the lever. That was in a Mitsubishi Expo years ago but I suppose it could still happen on today's cars.

·
Super Moderator
11,099 Posts
Interesting question. In either event, I would have it back to the dealer. Does not bode well.
The CVT rubber band effect is well known where the engine revs and the speed slowly catches up. That's why I asked.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I was driving on a rural highway this past weekend. I had no problem passing several cars. My '16 AWD XLE will never win the Indy 500, but the extra oomph from the "gutless" 2.5L is there when I need it.

·
Super Moderator
11,099 Posts
It doesn't use CVT. It's one of the reasons I chose our '16 RAV4 over the ones that has CVT transmissions like the Honda CRV.
As does the RAV4 Hybrid which is why I asked.....wasn't sure if OP's was Hybrid or not.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
so basically it's like the torque converter was slipping?

I would find a stretch of empty road and floor it a couple of times to see if you can reproduce it... if not it's gonna be hard proving to the dealership there is a problem...
I didnt want to state what i tought it is until i found out more about the electronics and transmission characteristics first, but having said that, going back to my younger years and driving and building modded V8's with high stall converters, id say yes.

It did seem like the converter was slipping, thats what it at least felt like, i was not expecting such an event so i never paid attention prior to it happening, but my uneducated guess or at least going from past experience, a converter event was indeed what it felt like.

It doesn't use CVT. It's one of the reasons I chose our '16 RAV4 over the ones that has CVT transmissions like the Honda CRV.
Ditto, this is exactly the reason i went with the rav4, it still had a transmission, not a cvt as every other manufacturer that build the same/similar vehicle in its class. No cvt for me, at least not just yet, may not have an option some point down the road.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts