Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had the dealer do this as PM and noticed much smoother shifting after.

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
69 Posts
How many kilometres did you have on the RAV4 when you had it changed? At what mileage did they recommend. My dealer recommended changing it at 100,000 Kms.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They said 96000km and mine was at 97500km

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think it's a good PM thing to do. Just hope they don't strip the drain plug like they did mine. Had to drop the pan and put a new sleeve? and plug in. Gave me a loaner for a few hours and no charge for the oil change so I was ok with that.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It shifts much smoother when on cruise and downshifting to 4th. Seems smoother elsewhere just most noticeable on the highway.

·
Super Moderator
11,097 Posts
Curious..........did they actually exchange fluid rather than flush it? I would be up for an exchange of trans fluid as opposed to a flush of the old.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Pretty sure it was just an exchange. Only charged $101+ tax

·
Super Moderator
11,097 Posts
At that price (especially Canadian dollars) I wonder if they just did a drain and fill. What does the invoice say?

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Pretty sure it was just a drain and fill

·
Registered
246 Posts
All I can say is if you are going to do this, do it right. Get all of the Toyota WS out, replace it with Toyota WS or you have another option of replacing it with better ATF. Replace with better Redline D6 or Amsoil Signature Series ATF. Doing a partial exchange is good, but having varnished dirty bad oil left in, degrades new oil very very fast. If your ATF is heat stressed and varnished adding partial new oil just infects the new oil like a virus, and degrades to equalize with the old oil.

If you are going to a dealer, ask them if they can exchange 100% of the fluid changing the oil in the pan first, then pulling off the return line from the transmission "hockey puck heater". Then drain till you hear the ATF pump grab a bit of air and then stop and refill the trans and start pumping again till new fluid comes out of the return line. This should take about 3 to 4 times of refilling to cycle all the old fluid out of the torque converter. This will be in the $175 to $250 US cost range to get all of the fluid out.

Some of you guys are from Canada and don't have the USA based Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act to protects you from using better oil in some cases, other then manufactures oil, if you are under warranty you may want to put the "crap sub-standard WS" ATF back in. If passed the warranty you have option for a better oil now. Even if I lived in Canada I would not put WS back in, I would roll the dice. NOTHING but high end group 5 Ester based oil goes in my better/main cars and I run a group 3 Valvoline Max-Life in my high mileage daughters car.

Understanding the Differences in Base Oil Groups

WS I feel is a horrible oil, IE sub-standard. Group 2/3 and it is a semi-synthetic, even though Toyota says it is a full synthetic, they are lying.

Valvoline Max-Life is a full synthetic and a group 3. Hydro-cracked synthetic, (high end earth oil)

Amsoil Signature Series is a group 4 (PAO), and by it base stock can varnish if exposed to very high heat. True full synthetic

Redine D6 is a group 5 Ester (POE) and by it's nature can take the highest heat without breaking down or varnishing.Group 5 Esters are actually "cleaners" by their very nature of the base stock. True full synthetic.

The best thing is get the old oil out, early rather then later. When you dealing with transmission I always would change the fluid by the "rough service " time frame. Especially on the first factory fill when you have all the break-in particulates getting cycled around. Remember, ALL OEM trans filters are around 100+ micron filters, so basically a chain linked fence filter to catch rocks. When really you need a 25 micron filter to do any good. So that 's why getting the factory fill out sooner rather then later is a smart move. Not all the abrasive clutch malarial gets adhered to the magnets in the pan, and flow right through the high micron rock catcher filter. That is why if you change your AFT early there is no need to change the filter since it is not even close to being restricted by debris.

Example: at my work we changed out 100% of our AFT fluid on our new delivery van at 20,000 miles, and we will change it again at 80,000 miles since most are highway miles.

·
Registered
7 Posts
For giggles I stopped by our dealership to inquire about the trans service.got the usual run around about the lifetime fluid....yada yada.....$205 for just a drain and refill.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
For giggles I stopped by our dealership to inquire about the trans service.got the usual run around about the lifetime fluid....yada yada.....$205 for just a drain and refill

I didn't get any runaround when I asked the service manager. He said that yes, they say it is lifetime but if anyone asks I recommend changing around 96,000km which was when they used to recommend the change. Mine was just a drain and refill....$95

·
Registered
7 Posts
Ended up having an appointment yesterday to have our rav looked at for some weird shifting issues..Hard downshifting like it wants to go into 3rd and then at the last second it decides it wants to go to 4th gear and locks torque at same time and would bang into gear(like 4500 rpm down to 3000 rpm in a slit second)Also at time when you let off to kinda coast a bit,rpm go down to about an idle then slowly rise to coasting rpm,almost like it shifted to neutral.
Took a ride with service tech.....long story short we are getting torque converter replaced and software update due to the TSB for the rav4 (2013-2014).

·
Registered
74 Posts
Question;

does anyone have the service schedule for those fluids, transmission, transfer case, etc.? I got it once after a maintenance from the dealer but I can't find it now. I remember for sure that transmission fluid was at 96K, the other ones were close by.
the Owner's manual supplement do not include those fluids. I'll will go through all my emails to see if it's there.

BTW Richm235, I had before that shifting issues with gear jumping, it was low transmission fluid level, and unfortunately in the new models there is no way to check level.

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
Question;

does anyone have the service schedule for those fluids, transmission, transfer case, etc.? I got it once after a maintenance from the dealer but I can't find it now. I remember for sure that transmission fluid was at 96K, the other ones were close by.
the Owner's manual supplement do not include those fluids. I'll will go through all my emails to see if it's there.

BTW Richm235, I had before that shifting issues with gear jumping, it was low transmission fluid level, and unfortunately in the new models there is no way to check level.
https://www.toyota.com/owners/

You want the Warranty/Maintenance guide.
Transmission and differentials are listed on the bottom half under "Driving under special conditions"... Transmission and differential/transfer case is every 60,000 miles (96,000km)

·
Registered
31 Posts
I changed my transmission fluid in my prius at 50k, very black and What a difference. I believe .in changing your fluids sooner than the OEM recommends is best. Now on my 2017 SE I will also have my fluids exchanged / replaced.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I changed my transmission fluid in my prius at 50k, very black and What a difference. I believe .in changing your fluids sooner than the OEM recommends is best. Now on my 2017 SE I will also have my fluids exchanged / replaced.
I've watched a few video's now of guys doing fluid changes and seeing it come out black at 60k doesn't give me a warm fuzzy feeling. Not one bit.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I've driven both the CR-V and RAV4. Because it used to be easy enough to change the fluids ourselves (practically felt the same as an oil change), we always did it fairly frequently - around 10,000 to 15,000 miles. We bought OEM ATF at the cheapest possible price online, where each change costed maybe $30 (don't hold me to this). I've never regretted doing this despite what others may say about it being too often. The cars have run amazingly well and the transmission has never given out on us. We probably could have pushed it out to 30,000 mile intervals, but we just decided it was easy enough that the extra effort for PM was well worth our time.

With my new 2018 RAV4 XLE, it's a big disappointment that it's no longer as easy. I understand things have changed and maybe the time has passed for us to continue doing this. Either way...at this point I'll probably change out the ATF every 30,000 miles at the dealer (or trusted mechanic).

·
Registered
450 Posts
Anybody have a bad experience after getting the fluid changed?

I’m concerned the dealers won’t add enough fluid which will cause me problems down the line.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts