Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It is nearly impossible to downshift into first unless I am under 5mph. I am thinking that my first gear synchro may be shot. Anyone else had this issue. Solution? Has anyone here split the case and tried replacing 1st gear?

·
Registered
621 Posts
Try double clutching, if it helps, then that is easier than opening the transmission.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Why would I need to downshift into first? Why do you ever downshift? So that the motor doesn't lug or die. Under 10mph the engine lugs in second so that means I need to downshift. I am not trying to downshift going 10-15mph. But say I am turning into a driveway and I need to get into first so that the engine doesn't lugg I have to come to almost a complete stop in order to get it to go into gear. Sometime even stopped it can be difficult. I have tried double clutching and it helps a small amount but not really. I was just wondering if anyone had split their case before and if they needed any special tools.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Some consider dropping the engine and transmission out the bottom of the car as requiring specialized tools.
For me a torque wrench or a 3-jaw puller are standard equipment, others consider them as special tools.

When you tried the double clutch, did you hit the throttle hard enough?
Most people go a little easy, when they are learning.

When double clutching, the object is to match the input shaft speed, to your next gear speed.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have a lift and engine tranny are coming out. I have most tools just no specialized transmission tools. Rev matching on the double clutch is a non issue because I am already under 2k in second when trying to get into 1st.

·
Super Moderator
862 Posts
As long as I recall correctly, shifting into first at no-matter-how-low speed was difficult for the Rav4 since it was new.
You *can* do this forcefully if needed (i.e. low traction steep inclines where stopping completely to change into first might get you stuck) but it's not something I would do often.
Here is another thread discussing the same issue: http://www.rav4world.com/forums/85-4-1-faults-fixes/90730-first-gear.html

I would also seek more advice (even from Toyota themselves) and verify that replacing synchros WILL cure the issue before attempting a gearbox tear-down.

·
Registered
621 Posts
I have a lift and engine tranny are coming out. I have most tools just no specialized transmission tools. Rev matching on the double clutch is a non issue because I am already under 2k in second when trying to get into 1st.
That is the problem. The input shaft needs to be turning much faster than idle to match first gear.

20 mph in 1st is 4,500 rpm. That is what you are trying to match.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts