Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys i know this one was discussed in the forum before but i couldn't find it.
Does anyone know which Rav carries the hard spare tire cover that will fit the 97's. Maybe someone has one that can tell me. :)

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
I don't know if this will help, but i think that the hard spare tire cover from the 4.2s fits nicely for the 4.1s. One of the members here has it. If you go to album and user personal galleries, click on Derek.
There's a pic in there with the hard spare tire cover, which looks quite nice :).

You can find them on ebay, or if you can't find it there and your budget allows you, you can get it at brandsport.com. We get 10% discount cuz they are one of our sponsors. I think the code is rav4.

·
Registered
685 Posts
When I traded my 4.1 for my 4.2, I took my hard spare cover with me and left the new soft cover with the 4.1, because I'm cheap :roll: The salesman at the dealer didn't think the 4.1 cover would fit the 4.2, but because both had 215/70X16's, I thought it would. I tried it once and it was too tight because I think the 4.2 Toyo's were a little wider than the same size 4.1 Bridgestones. So I waited for a hot summer day and after leaving the cover in the sun, tried it again. With a little pounding all around, it fit fine.
I presume the opposite is true.....4.2 will fit 4.1.....

BUT....are there 2 size covers for the 4.2 depending on 70 series or 60 series tires.......thought I read this on here sometime???? :?

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Don't know how many hard covers there were for the 4.2s, but the 4.1 had two different hard covers depending on whether you had 215 or 235 tires.

·
Registered
10,246 Posts
The link zoomie has posted here will fit. As you can see, they give your RAV4 a touch of class. Derek, Franco and I [Derek being the first] were the first forum members to install these. At that time, I paid $39.00 on EBay. With paint and letters it all came out for 75.00. This part retails for almost $500.00. It also has a rear mounting part that must be used.
BTW, it will only let the stock tire to be used, 215.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Yep, there are two for the 4.1s. If you have the 70's tires, like me, believe the warning that the cover "won't fit Goodyear tire". One of my two 2000's has a Goodyear spare, and the cover initially wouldn't fit. I dropped its pressure to about 22 psi, and just barely squeezed the cover on (and put a padlock on it). I carry a can of Fix-a-Flat anyway, so I can add some pressure if I every need to use the spare and drive more than a few miles.

·
Registered
685 Posts
When I took my 4.1 cover and tried to put it on the 4.2 spare tire, I didn't realize at the time that the 4.2 alloy was 7" and the 4.1 spare steelie was only 6". That would explain the difficulty getting it on as well as tire manufacturer........
Hope I don't have to reinstall it through the winter......might have to use a hair drier to soften it this time instead of the sun.......

1 - 8 of 8 Posts